What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drill Bit sets

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
OK, sorry, I've been trying the search function, but with a term as generic as 'drill' it hasn't been productive. In search of a good-high quality drill bit set for those one-offs that always seem to come along (the one time use #20i, etc). Tried HF, but they wobble straight out of the package. Most of our favorite websites don't have a lot of customer reviews. So, searching for a complete numbered drill bit set in a holder of some type. (well, also looking for a fractional set as well). Guessing hss as these will not be everyday bits. Favorite source?

Thanks!

drills

The best drills I have used came from Lawson. That being said, I think they changed their supplier so I can't say anything about the new bits. They are not cheap either...

I did get some from ACS, and they are ok but the do not last very long...

MINUS one for Cleaveland's #40 drills, at least or the batch I got in '12. They were mis-sharpened and would not drill a #40 hole. I like Cleaveland and everything else I've gotten from them has been excellent.

I tried some drills from www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com and these were excellent. So have subsequent drill bits. When I need a bit that's not what I have in stock, I go to my local hardware store. Their Irwin brand bits are fine.

Dave

Besides Cleveland, I've purchased bits from ATS and Brown tools (both have good catalogs to learn from). Also, if you don't have one, get a drill index to store the odd sized bits.

Brown tool

Brown tools. Cant beat their service. Buy cobalt. For a 90 degree drill adapter dont buy one with plastic ends. Buy a good quality boeing grAde, With the cobalt short bits. All from brown

Dont sharpen bits. I replace my bits about three times during build. Not terribly expensive.

I am starting the fiberglass stuff and am burning thru the bits a little faster now.

Last edited:
+1 on Pan American; I get all my drills there. Avery used to sell them when they were in business. They do have options for full sets.

+1 PanAmerican. I got the individual PA's from Avery and later purchased the ATS set. The PanAmericans are much better all around IMO.

Organization and identification?

I inherited a bunch of drill bits from the previous Builder of my project and I am super grateful for them. However it’s basically just a drawer full of bits. Does anybody have any tips on organizing the bits to keep them in groups and also how to identify them? Unfortunately laser engraving that is done on the Shank on most of them has worn off.

Drill bits

I inherited a bunch of drill bits from the previous Builder of my project and I am super grateful for them. However it’s basically just a drawer full of bits. Does anybody have any tips on organizing the bits to keep them in groups and also how to identify them? Unfortunately laser engraving that is done on the Shank on most of them has worn off.

I inherited quite a few as well. I measured the long ones with a caliper and taped tags on them. The short ones got tossed. Nothing makes me more furious than a dull bit wandering or cutting sideways. New bit set was purchased. Any time a bit stops performing, it goes in the trash. I buy new Irwin from ACE.
As a side note, reamers are much better for the final few thousandths.

If it's simple run-out and not contributed to by the drill chuck,

I was taught to "straighten" slightly bent, small diameter, wobbly drills (#30 and smaller,) by touching the tip of the drill to a length of wood, adding some pressure to deflect the tip and pulling the trigger allowing the tip to "walk" along the wood for 5-6" or so. Pull it away and hit the trigger to check the results.

FWIW

I think I used this more than any other tool while building. Well probably not more but every time I drilled a hole! Then I got a block of wood and drilled a hole for each bit and with felt pen wrote the size. Looked pretty a mature but worked great.

Attachments

• D92D9C67-2A04-4448-B247-C7763404D172.jpg
    D92D9C67-2A04-4448-B247-C7763404D172.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 47
Just experimenting, I searched Amazon for no. 30 drill bits. Found one item with 5 ea Irwin brand bits, Prime, $5.87. Wasn't too much to risk, so I ordered. They were delivered in two days as advertised.

I just ordered one of these No. 15 General Drill Bit Gages myself :)

Now is there a tool/gage/template out there that will also help identify the AN hardware? Esp the bolts...

Back