What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do You Collect Grass/Un-Improved Strips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food

N56, 50 to the SW, claims to have a diner across the street. DSV has food across the street but no grass runway.

Hidden Splendor Airstrip, Utah

Hidden Splendor Airstrip is located about 15 nm northwest of Hanksville KHVE. Its location is in the ForeFlight database and any search engine could yield a lot of information. The elevation is nearly 5,000 feet and the runway is over 2 thousand feet long. Its also wider then RV9 wingspan.

The strip and surrounding canyon rocks are eye candies.

Runway oriented NW-SE. It's very hard to determine the wind. The only windsock is torn out. So a pass or two are recommended to figure out the wind.

Very nice hiking area.

You may want to walk the runway as well to remove larger rocks from your way on takeoff.

I was there in the middle of November and it looks like a perfect time. OAT 55F with light and variable winds. Plenty of runway for a fixed pitch O-320 powered RV.

Highly recommended. If unsure you can stop, firewall the throttle, follow the canyon either way until you get enough airspeed then climb out and try again. Or come next time...

Wow

Hi Vlad. That is very cool! Man you rock. Give a shout if your ever up in the NE.
Would be very fun to fly the 9?s.

Hidden Splendor Airstrip is located about 15 nm northwest of Hanksville KHVE. Its location is in the ForeFlight database and any search engine could yield a lot of information. The elevation is nearly 5,000 feet and the runway is over 2 thousand feet long. Its also wider then RV9 wingspan.

The strip and surrounding canyon rocks are eye candies.

Runway oriented NW-SE. It's very hard to determine the wind. The only windsock is torn out. So a pass or two are recommended to figure out the wind.

Very nice hiking area.

You may want to walk the runway as well to remove larger rocks from your way on takeoff.

I was there in the middle of November and it looks like a perfect time. OAT 55F with light and variable winds. Plenty of runway for a fixed pitch O-320 powered RV.

Highly recommended. If unsure you can stop, firewall the throttle, follow the canyon either way until you get enough airspeed then climb out and try again. Or come next time...

If I only knew this before! May be on my next trip...

Beautiful but.... gravel...

We?ll add this to airplane camping destinations, but I?m not too sure our pretty red prop cares for gravel. Let us know if you?re around Ajo sometime after mid-December.

Cedar Mountain Utah

18 nm southeast of Huntington 69V at 7600 feet elevation there is a well groomed airstrip over two thousand feet long. It's called Cedar Mountain if you are ever in Utah and looking for an adventure go there you won't regret. Just know your aircraft limitations.

Stunning aerial views. Airport in the skies.

Great hike. Plenty of space for camping.

There is wildlife crossing the airstrip. Definitely an antelope not a bear.

There is a well traveled backroad leading to a multiple transmitters half a mile away. You are not alone :)

Where is N666BK

Trying real hard not to be nosey Vlad but have you moved to Vernal UT.:confused:
Strange to see you in one place other than the tri-state area for so long.:)

Seaside Municipal (56S) on the Oregon coast has an unofficial grass strip, next to the main runway, really just a strip of the infield that the local pilots keep mowed more closely than the rest.

The city hasn't sanctioned it but neither have they said no to it, and a few "in the know" pilots have used it regularly over the years including a sightseeing bi-plane operation. It's 1350 feet long, next to and parallel to the southern 2/3 of the paved runway. Pretty smooth but ONLY usable in the dry season, i.e. ~June through Sept.

The local airport group also keeps some bicycles out for visitors to use.

One more for your collection!

Attachments

• 56s _grass.jpg
    56s _grass.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 297
  • 56s_bikes_900.jpg
    56s_bikes_900.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Mineral Canyon Utah UT75

Mineral Canyon a backcountry strip in Utah. Identifier UT75. Easy to get in and out by Piper Cubs and similar but challenging for RV aircrafts.

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1.jpg

Runway is 2000 feet long but you can safely play only on 900. If tailwheel add another couple hundred feet. There are soft spots.

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1_(1).jpg

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1_(5).jpg

There is a parking/camping area which can accommodate up to 5 aircrafts.

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1_(7).jpg

Overall a great experience. Just don't come when it's wet, hot, windy or late. Bring all your horses for the takeoff :D

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1_(2).jpg

Mineral_Canyon_UT75_1_(3).jpg

Lookin' at all those pictures and places of yours only reinforces the realisation that I'm living in the wrong country, on the wrong continent :(
And thanks to that virus thing, been turning like a caged lion for the whole season 2020...

Thanks for the dreams and enjoy the place for me!

Delle Utah

Thanks Dan.

... there is an uncharted airstrip along interstate I-80. West of Salt Lake City just past the Mode C ring. On south side of the highway. Named Delle after a tiny village with a population of 7.

Delle_Utah_1.jpg

Delle_Utah_1_(1).jpg

Shorter runway is in better shape for our little wheels. Come light and leave your fairings at home.

Delle_Utah_1_(2).jpg

Plenty of parking in the truckers lot.

Delle_Utah_1_(3).jpg

You may want to park upwind from a pig transport those porkies smell.

Delle_Utah_1_(5).jpg

The station has some hot dishes like fried chicken wings and hot dogs. There is a funny sign "if you touch food you are required to buy it"

Delle_Utah_1_(4).jpg

There is an ethanol free 91 mogas pump with a hose long enough to fuel the airplane if you wish so. The access to the pump is unobstructed you can taxi to it. Price is very good.

Delle_Utah_1_(6).jpg

Interesting experience overall. Go visit when in the right mood. Come early and use shorter runway. If you decide to take off on longer one, walk it first.

Delle_Utah_1_(7).jpg

Locomotive Springs Utah

This is recently reopened a transcontinental airmail route airport. Two intersecting runways are in good shape even for our smaller wheels. Stunning extraterrestrial views on the way to the airstrip.

Locomotive_Springs_1(1).jpeg

Locomotive_Springs_1_(11).jpeg

Surface is relatively soft and brush free. Braking action good.

Locomotive_Springs_1_(12).jpeg

Locomotive_Springs_1_(20).jpeg

Locomotive_Springs_1_(18).jpeg

Fresh water springs are within a short walk.

Locomotive_Springs_1_(16).jpeg

Swans were not happy when I arrived other water fowl didn't care.

Locomotive_Springs_1_(13).jpeg

Locomotive_Springs_1_(17).jpeg

I walked both runway. Landed to the west and took off to the south.

Locomotive_Springs_1_(14).jpeg

Locomotive_Springs_1_(19).jpeg

You are evolving into a high plains drifter. You are certainly showing us places most of us have not seen.

Boulder Utah UFO Landing Site

Here is another cool one. Boulder Airstrip Utah near Grand Staircase-Escalante National monument.

Boulder_Utah_1_(10).jpeg

The airstrip desperately need a grader the last grooming was done three years ago.

Boulder_Utah_1.jpeg

It's basically a one lane road with outgrown brush on the sides. You got about a thousand feet of barely acceptable surface to full stop before intersection.

Boulder_Utah_1_(1).jpeg

Taxi slowly and be very careful. If taildragger bump your seat cushion to see over the nose. You better not leave the path which is 10 feet wide the most.

Boulder_Utah_1_(2).jpeg

Park at the intersection the eastern part of the runway (road) is unusable by RV standards.

Boulder_Utah_1_(4).jpeg

Boulder_Utah_1_(9).jpeg

Boulder Mail Trail starts ten yards from the parking.

Boulder_Utah_1_(8).jpeg

Boulder_Utah_1_(7).jpeg

Enjoy your visit but remember takeoff from there is more challenging then landing :)

Collect grass strips and . . . ?

Vlad, you need to add a few sub-categories.

Add: Salt, Dirt-rough, Dirt-smooth, Gravel . . .

Take-off more challenging because after landing the condition of the runway is now known and it is not as good as you thought while overhead?

Last edited:
Vlad, you need to add a few sub-categories.

Add: Salt, Dirt-rough, Dirt-smooth, Gravel . . .

Take-off more challenging because after landing the condition of the runway is now known and it is not as good as you thought while overhead?

... Sand, Rock, Packed show, Ice-rough, Ice-smooth, Marsten-mat ... too many but I got you Jeffski :D! And you are right on knowing washboard condition better after landing.

Washboard_1_(1).jpeg

Washboard_1.jpeg

Boulder Airstrip Utah near Grand Staircase-Escalante National monument.
The Boulder UFO Landing Site! I was there 25 years ago (in a vehicle). Right close to there is the Upper Calf Creek Falls, a really magical place, as it Lower Calf Creek Falls. Here are the lower falls:

VfQ9BG.jpg

Impressive Vlad!

Great pictures of out of the way places. Amazing how those little RV tires haven't let you down on the soft stuff!
How's the prop doing? Looks like it would take a beating....

Great pictures of out of the way places. Amazing how those little RV tires haven't let you down on the soft stuff!
How's the prop doing? Looks like it would take a beating....

There is some motivation for you Rick. The tailwheel version would be better here for takeoff. Those three inches of snow is too much to unglue the nosewheel fast :D

Cedar_Mountain_1.jpeg

Cedar_Mountain_1_(1).jpeg

Cedar_Mountain_1_(2).jpeg

Last edited:
I see you’ve fallen in love with Cedar Mountain. The uphill slope caught me by surprise on my first landing there.

Shed Hunting

Perfect weather it's calm and temperature is in upper teens. Let's go shed hunting! No not the plastic sheds from Home Depot let's look for the antlers Rudolf drops every year.

One of my honey holes is close (40 min hike) to a county road. I was lucky to meet a grader operator on that hill in the spring he promised to take a good care of that stretch. And he did.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(1).jpeg

From this point the road looks straight.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(3).jpeg

From this, not so much.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(2).jpeg

It has ups and downs you have to scout the slopes for cowboy trucks. Landing was a non event. The elevation is about 8,000 feet.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(4).jpeg

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(5).jpeg

Parking is tough I need to talk to the grader operator again about widening a spot. For now I stick the tail in the sage.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(6).jpeg

Couple hours of hiking in crisp weather yielded couple antlers. One elk and two mule deer not bad.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(10).jpeg

I local coyote hunter drove by. Hey man that's cool your airplane. I was born and raised here I've seen it all but THIS never something like this... :D

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(11).jpeg

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(8).jpeg

Last edited:
Ya know all the talk about the RV 15 being a brush plane???

Why would they do this if there is already the RV9???:D;)

Maybe a Tundra tire option would be in order.

Woyming_Shed_Hunt_1_(6).jpeg

Unimproved strips..........

Not sure I would want the survival situation if I cut a tire or worse there....

But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow,
But he cannot learn, feel, change, grow or live.
Chained by his servitude he is a slave who has forfeited all freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.”

― Leo F. Buscaglia

Then there was SpotX..........:):):)

The Cub and I go many "unimproved" places......:) SuzieQ and I did as well. Will be exploring more when she is up and running once again. Vlad is an inspiration.............

Attachments

• img659ac.jpg
    img659ac.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 389
But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

I've met plenty of people who think I'm completely nuts flying a plane I built in my garage. Yet among ourselves we debate risk on a whole other level. It's all relative isn't it!

Harvest time

This is the grass strip at the home farm (2000 ft) surrounded by the season's crop. There's a couple of RVs that visit here quite often.

We grew barley this year and by the end of spring it was nearly waist high. When it is deep like this it is like landing in a sunken gap, so you have to compensate accordingly for the flare, lest you flare too high!

Now that harvest is complete it's time to once again re-adjust the landing sight 'picture'.

Attachments

• Aviation2020 024.jpg
    Aviation2020 024.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Aviation2020 025.jpg
    Aviation2020 025.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 408
  • Aviation2020 027.jpg
    Aviation2020 027.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 383
Grass Strip in Eastern Va.

Here is my farm strip east of KMFV. That is my old RV-3 I sold last summer after I built my current -8. 1850’ with clear approaches. Sorry picture is sideways. I cannot find how to turn it upright.

Attachments

• F15CA77C-B25B-42B1-B6C1-BA21B224BB24.jpeg
    F15CA77C-B25B-42B1-B6C1-BA21B224BB24.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 448
Here is my farm strip east of KMFV. That is my old RV-3 I sold last summer after I built my current -8. 1850’ with clear approaches. Sorry picture is sideways. I cannot find how to turn it upright.

You guys are very fortunate to have strips at your home/farms. It's a pilots' dream!

Easy to rotate pictures on a PC. Just open it in the view and hit the rotate button. I'm sure there is an equivalent on a mac or Chromecast. If you click on the thumb, it should show in the correct orientation.

Attachments

• F15CA77C-B25B-42B1-B6C1-BA21B224BB24.jpeg
    F15CA77C-B25B-42B1-B6C1-BA21B224BB24.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 378
It's all relative...........

I've met plenty of people who think I'm completely nuts flying a plane I built in my garage. Yet among ourselves we debate risk on a whole other level. It's all relative isn't it!

Indeed! Wait: YOU built that airplane? In your GARAGE? (said taking a few steps backwards.....blinking....)

I have had people gasp that the Cub was built in 1946! Yet they feel no qualms about tail-gating the car in front of them on the Interstate going 85 having gotten there by weaving in and out of traffic.....:eek:

Near Three Corners

Vlad, where's the grass?

It's beyond that bridge Randy. I was good on weight and speed but not on width. Toit!

where_is_grass_-_1.jpeg

So I had to deplane, cross the bridge on foot and bring some grass from the other side.

where_is_grass_-_1_(1).jpeg

where_is_grass_-_1_(2).jpeg

Taxi back for takeoff takes a long time and a lot of power :D

where_is_grass_-_1_(3).jpeg

I would not recommend the place for your 12 Randy. Tons of cattle guards :D

where_is_grass_-_1_(4).jpeg

Grass Strip in Rio de Janeiro

My base airport is a small “air club” in Rio de Janeiro, called Clube da Aeronáutica. It’s a 1320ft grass runway in a great area of the city. Attached a video I posted on YouTube a couple of months ago.

https://youtu.be/Gxe9DiR7lnI

Attachments

• FF385534-3261-4067-83BB-D15B5E0F3FEA.jpg
    FF385534-3261-4067-83BB-D15B5E0F3FEA.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 338
My favorite is my own, not the best but still my favorite.

The smoothest Ive landed on recently is LKLT Letnany 5L/23R Praha Like a billard table.

Rob

Hello,
Family stationed at Sculthorpe in the 50ties, near the Wash. What ever became of that field?

Wah Wah Valley Hardpan

The dry pan of Wah Wah valley is 140 nm south of Salt Lake City. Elevation is approximately 4300 feet.

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1.jpeg

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(1).jpeg

Since it is (was) a fresh water source, the majority of the bed is divided between ranchers by barbed wire fences. In those sections there are multiple collection systems draining to a water hole very hard to see.

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(2).jpeg

If you look at northeast side you can see two brown spots there are no fences there and surface is cement hard.

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(3).jpeg

No windsock either very difficult to determine actual wind direction. Surface has approximately 1" high washboard. It gives you some vibrations during slow down. The guys with tiny wheelies at the back will feel it more pronounced then those with training wheels.

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(4).jpeg

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(7).jpeg

Look at those nice flap hinge fairings made by Steve Melton. You gotta have them.

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(8).jpeg

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(6).jpeg

Overall great experience. Go!

Wah_Wah_Valley_Hardpan_-_1_(5).jpeg

Hey Vlad, better be careful flying around in those Hill AFB MOAs with a big red star on your plane! :p

Dave

Mexican Mountain still not conquered

Mexican Mountain, a backcountry airstrip, is less than an hour from my base. With longer days it's very possible to visit it after work. Winds calm let's go...

Desolation Canyon an absolutely stunning views. You can go low or you can go high the Green River and the banks are acceptable emergency landing spots.

Desolation_Canyon_-_1.jpeg

Mexican Mountain airstrip is a popular backcountry destination for bushmen.

Mexican_Mountain_-_1.jpeg

Mexican_Mountain_-_1_(1).jpeg

The strip was very soft at the time with deep cattle tracks. I rolled on mains with plenty of power and decided not to stop. Next time.

Mexican_Mountain_-_1_(2).jpeg

Went to Love's Truck Stop instead for a bio break and a snack.

Mexican_Mountain_-_1_(3).jpeg

Road to a closed dump used as a runway. Long enough.

Love's_truck_stop_-_1.jpeg

Landing to the west.

Love's_truck_stop_-_1_(1).jpeg

A pickup was waiting for me. Hi I am Trent do you need anything? A gas can? A funnel? Thanks I am all rite... Good people there at Green River.

Love's_truck_stop_-_1_(2).jpeg

Spent 15 minutes max. Another 45 to get home and I stretched it to over an hour exploring new oil rigs... They are almost at 9000 feet!

Love's_truck_stop_-_1_(3).jpeg

oil_rig_-_1.jpeg

Vlad

Be careful at Mexican Mountain. It’s really only 1500 ft or so usable and soft at the East end. I camped there with my 0-540 Super Rebel in Sept. Landing is easy. I was really worried about getting out. It’s a long walk out.

I haven’t landed at the truck stop yet, but it’s a good option for a shower and ice cream while in the backcountry.

I could meet you in the spring and tag team into Mexican mountain if you want.

Jerry

Buckboard Marina WY

Buckboard Marina is located 25 miles south of Green River WY. Ran by a family they recently opened Redneck Grill restaurant. The place is easily accessible by car and airplane.

Owner Tony Valdez is an aviation enthusiast and a backcountry strip adjacent to his facility is in his plans. But for now visiting aircrafts can use nearly 5000 feet of paved road without obstructions on both ends. Coordination by the phone required since Tony don't have the base aviation radio yet. The season for boaters still not here and road is empty. As soon as ice melts the place will get some traffic and local volunteers will help to sequence trucks and airplanes. They will also assist with taxi and departures. It's my 5th visit to Tony.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(12).jpeg

Buckboard_Marina_-_1.jpeg

The road runs East-West and wind information from KRKS ASOS is very close. Usually it blows from the west. There is also a flag you could use as a windsock.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(2).jpeg

If you are landing to the west aim your touchdown point abeam the water tower. There is a nice upslope and it could help you to stop on the dime. Don't drag there is a power line going to the campground.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(3).jpeg

There is plenty of clearance on taxi to the lodge/restaurant. Local cowboys care and will give you right of way. In case you observe a curious vehicle out of nowhere (campgrounds) there are two places you can turn out and stop. One is at an intersection with a service road to water tower and second place is a turnaround by old Forest Service station.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(7).jpeg

You can park between the pickups. Good down to earth people. The overnight stay is possible but where and how to tie down TBD.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(9).jpeg

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(11).jpeg

Go enjoy yourself the restaurant is open. They maintain a presence on social media.

Buckboard_Marina_-_1_(5).jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back