What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel endorsement and transition training in an RV-8

I just recently acquired an RV-8 and now need to decide how to best get my tailwheel endorsement and transition training. I live in St. Louis area and know of a good instructor for tailwheels but question if I should start with a plane such as a Decathlon or start by flying my RV-8 with an instructor? Should I find an instructor that is well versed in RV-8?s vs one who has flown Extra?s, Pitts and others? What has worked well for others?

If you can't find it locally, make an appointment with Bruce Bohannon down the coast from Houston. At Flyin' Tiger Field near Angleton. He can start you in a Cub and has a dual-control RV-8 for FAA-approved RV transition instruction. Maybe a few weekends or block off some time from work. I did Pitts transition training with him. Best instruction I have ever had. Excellent insightful briefing and debriefing. Bruce is as genuine as they come and he doesn't mince words or coddle you which means you don't waste any time on the ground or in the air.

Jim

Get your tailwheel endorsement in anything you like that?s local. I got mine in a cub and the next RV I flew was a -7. Any RV taildragger is very easy to handle, especially the 8. Lots of information on the subject here on VAF.

Get your tailwheel endorsement in anything you like that?s local. I got mine in a cub and the next RV I flew was a -7. Any RV taildragger is very easy to handle, especially the 8. Lots of information on the subject here on VAF.

I agree the 8 is very easy to handle. Oddly enough the proper Vans designs (conventional U/C) sometimes have a 'Boogyman' tag attached to it, wrongly so.
I'd never flown conventional U/C planes b4 but bought a good Citabria & did 120 hrs, then bought an 8, jumped in zero training and flew off into the sunset, never looked back, it's a pussycat, enjoy the ride😉👍:)

RV tailwheel models are very well behaved but not the best for an initial tailwheel endorsement (no brakes in the rear cockpit of the -8, and things do generally happen quicker - but I'm not saying it can't be done). I did the endorsement in a Decathlon, then went to the RV - just some mental adjustments to the excellent control response of the RV and it was straightforward.

I used to own a Citabria but hadn't flown taildraggers for over 30 years, heck hadn't flown an airplane in 10 years since all I was flying was helicopters, but a couple of hours in the rear seat of my -8 and I was good to go.

I agree the -8 is a very docile taildragger. It's a tiger in the air but a pussycat on the ground.

I wholeheartedly recommend Bruce Bohannon down in Angleton, TX. He's an excellent instructor..a legendary pilot with wealth of experience and ~33 world records to his name. Better to get ones transition training in the model RV you're planning to fly, imho. Especially if its your first RV. And Bruce is the only transition trainer to my knowledge doing transition training in a fully-dual RV-8. Money very well spent.

I still hear Bruce's voice over my shoulder on every landing..."Keep it straight!!". :)

Last edited:
I just finished transition training with Bruce Bohannon. Fantastic! Thorough, lots of discussion before during and after, fully equipped airplane (RV-8), convenient location (just south of Houston, lots of ways to get there), and you get to fly with a legend! He also has lots to say about first flights. Excellent value. I’d do it all over again.

Bruce Bohannon and his RV-8

I just returned from transition training with Bruce Bohannon in his RV-8. Bruce holds an FAA-issued Letter of Deviation Authority to conduct this training, and has been doing it for several years. What an incredible resource! Bruce is an excellent instructor, patiently and thoroughly explaining principles and procedures beforehand. The aircraft is well equipped, including rear seat brakes, and the local area is perfect for training. I feel that I greatly reduced the risks and anxiety of my upcoming first flight. Bonus: I got to know a true flying legend, and discovered we were mutual friends with Deke Slayton, another legend himself. What a fantastic experience. I’m so glad I committed to the transition training, and worked with Bruce to get it done. I highly recommend Bruce to anyone. Onward!

Back