What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light

Jstov

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what landing light kit might work in an old style flat top wing tip? I already have a cut out in my tip and need to replace lenses so I figured a whole new lens and insert might accomplish both. Did the airtech kits allow for landing lights to be installed in tips? Could I retrofit a new style tip lens kit? Any advice would help.

Take a look at RMD Aircraft,

http://www.rmdaircraft.com/other.htm

I used these in my -8 with the old school flat tips. They're kinda pricey and take a bit of work to install, but nothing too scary; cut out the tips to size and glass these in. The lights included are PAR36 50w halogens that throw out a good bit of light, no issues landing at night with these. I like 'em!

A picture of what you have would help. There were a number of different cut out options available and that would dictate what you would be able to put in there.

Pics

Here are some pics thanks guys!

xeqs7m.jpg

nbxm4i.jpg

9tq0ci.jpg

Rmd

I looked into the RMD inserts and they are very pricey! Actually knots 2 u sells all of the RMD products now. They just bought out all of RMD's molds. I was hoping to do something a little cheaper than almost $600, which is what they want for them.

have you checked the specs?

if you are rehashing things anyway, check that the nav light has the proper coverage......looks a bit buried in there, hard to say if it throws the full 110 degrees in the right directions? ( straight ahead, with 110 degree sweep to the rear)

just another armchair quarterback's opinion.

I agree the nav light does not meet spec and was going to replace that too. What I really am looking for is a drop in replacement for the entire tip. Are any of the vans inserts compatible that might work?

I think that the RV-4 has the same wingtip shape as the RV-6. If it does, then you can attach a set of the newer W-715-1 wingtips which have a much larger light cove that provides room for several possibilities, including our Aerosun Vx.

Has anyone made their own light cove cover? I heard you can buy plexi from your hardware store heat it and then bend it to shape. Since I can't seem to find an insert that will fit my tips and allow landing lights I was wondering if I could just make my own.

I made mine from .125 plexiglass from big box store, but they are single curve to match LE radius. Plexi works well at about 350 degrees. I did mine in the kitchen oven by making a rolled metal form, heating the whole mess in the oven and working it over the form with cotton rags after pulling from oven. It's worth trying if you have a decent mold. You may not need .125, probably .080 or so would work.

MY hero!

Justin, you exemplify the true spirit of homebuilding!

most would just say, 'where can I buy this already made, today!?'

I think it would be a wonderful project to make your own tip lenses.
.....you may even be able to sell some to others, and that's quite rewarding, in a warm fuzzy kind of way, if not monetarily.

If you look at Van's tip lens blank, ( sort of a big lozenge shape) you can see how one might go about it.
after a few hundred hours of making forms, setting up ovens, and wasting a couple dozen sheets of plexi, you will probably come up with a nice lens.
( don't tell the missus what you're doing in her oven!)

keep up posted if you go this route.
here's a good start, some light reading: :)

http://www.plexiglas.com/export/sit...loads/sheet-docs/plexiglas-forming-manual.pdf

P.S. I have to caution you that a good friend was warming up his big oven to pull a canopy, went to town to get one more thing, and came back to find his garage, nearly complete wooden aircraft project, and camper he had just restored, burnt to the ground. Don't use plywood for the oven, use at least fire-rated drywall, or metal, and NEVER leave when it's on!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! I really want to use my existing tips but there does not seem to be an option to "buy" a light cove that will work with my tips. I know RDM makes one that fits but I can buy a lot of plexi for $600! Trust me I know the value of time vs buying something already built but I can not come up with a viable reasonably priced option. I almost to the point of abonding the tips and just installing leading edge lights, that would probably be easier! On a side note today was a huge day on my project/rebuild. I had to build new elevators and everything lined up perfect and I am very happy with the final result! I am celebrating with my family and a bottle of wine!!

Has anyone made their own light cove cover? I heard you can buy plexi from your hardware store heat it and then bend it to shape. Since I can't seem to find an insert that will fit my tips and allow landing lights I was wondering if I could just make my own.

Vans still has the light kit for the 415 tips. Kit includes the aluminum parts, and the lens is 1 vacuum piece you cut in half to make both right, and left lens. When I bought the kit a few months back cost was very little. It may be possible to only buy the lens. Call Vans parts department.

I have been wondering too - - one would have to know the natural shape of the wing there, then make a mold of the tip, so, either the raw tip or one with an existing lens is needed to start with. I just cut the Vans lens for my 7 and it actually was easier to use shears. So, it is not the hardware store plexiglass material. I seems more like a vinyl. I could see sand scratches on the unused portion of the lens as it came, so it definitely was pressured or vacuumed into a mold, not over a mold.

I realize this thread is about 4 years old. I too am looking for tip lenses for the flat top -4 wing tip. None of the above options are available anymore. Anyone know what the current options are?

Last edited:
Talk to Paul @ FlyLeds..

I realize this thread is about 4 years old. I too am looking for tip lenses for the flat top -4 wing tip. None of the above options are available anymore. Anyone know what the current options are?
\

Chat to Paul at FlyLeds, he might be able to offer something up for you.

Great customer service.

I am in the process of planning out the wiring and lighting options for my 4 build. I see a lot of 4's that have wingtip lights and others that have the duckworks style leading edge landing light and old style nav lights out on the tip. My question is, are these old style 415 tips that have been modified or are they newer 715-1 tips? Are there any options still out there to put recessed tip lights in the 415 wing tips...See links to pics below.

Recessed Tip lights
http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/001/334/001334330.jpg

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/914/914585.jpg

Older style nav lights.
http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/small/000/212/212104.jpg

Duckworks Aviation Landing Light Poor Customer Service

FYI, I would advise against Duckworks Landing lights.

My rocket had them installed, and one failed after 500 hours TT.

I contacted them to get a replacement. Long story short it took nearly TWO MONTHS to get a replacement light, numerous e-mails, and calls to a full VM box. They didn't ship until 3 weeks after they took my money.

Don't know what is going on there...no explanation offered... but that is not the kind of customer service that is normal in this community.

I'd choose a different option...

Back