What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Traded in GTN650 to GTN650Xi

BMW_X6M

I saw an add from Sarasota Avionics for a $3,000 trade in upgrade.
I have been using the GTN650 for seven years with no problems. I do like to update electronics when possible especially if I can offset the cost by selling the old.

This trade in deal worked flawlessly. I paid $9,800 for the new unit to be shipped to me. Then returned my old unit after the swap and SA immediately sent me a $6,800 check. I have the newest electronics, with a complete set of databases, and a fresh two year warranty. The new unit plugged right in with no changes and my settings were remembered on the data card. I did need to download the databases onto a data card and install them but that is easy to do.

Can you tell us more about the changes? Specifically what you like better about the new one vs the old one or vice versa?

The biggest noticeable difference is the boot up is much faster. It is up and running in seconds now. The screen has slightly better resolution but that is not very noticeable. The databases are now copied from the external memory to internal memory. The unit has a dual core processor. The panning and rendering is smoother due to the higher performance electronics. It can communicate with many other Garmin products but I am using it to feed a Dynon HDX display only.

Back