What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which is the best oil filter cutter?

AN23

Well Known Member
I spent 20 minutes today trying to get my old Spruce oil filter cutter to work. Finally threw it in the trash and promised myself a new one. Since I haven't bought one in twenty years, I have zero knowledge of which, of those on the market today, are best. I took a quick glance at the web and saw that Summit Racing and Jeg's offer cutters too. Any suggestions?

I spent 20 minutes today trying to get my old Spruce oil filter cutter to work. Finally threw it in the trash and promised myself a new one. Since I haven't bought one in twenty years, I have zero knowledge of which, of those on the market today, are best. I took a quick glance at the web and saw that Summit Racing and Jeg's offer cutters too. Any suggestions?

There are cheaper filter cutters and there are more expense cutters but IMHO, this filter cutter is the best.

I had a cheaper one that did not work that great. An airport friend had one of these and let me used it. I purchased my own after one use. Mine is now over 20-years old. Back then, there were almost 1/2 the price they are today.

Oil filter cutter

I myself bought one from Vince Fraser @ flyboyaccessories.com . Although I have only used it a couple of times, it was easy and worked well. The cost was in the $50.00 range. Just another option. Bob S .

There are cheaper filter cutters and there are more expense cutters but IMHO, this filter cutter is the best.

I had a cheaper one that did not work that great. An airport friend had one of these and let me used it. I purchased my own after one use. Mine is now over 20-years old. Back then, there were almost 1/2 the price they are today.

That airwolf cutter that Gary linked to is what we've been using forever as well. Many of our neighbors seem to like it too.
I used it the other day and thought to myself, "I like this tool."

The cutter offered by https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/ is one that I developed about 15 years ago. I came up with the idea while harvesting corn one fall.
It is a simple filter cutter that makes short work of common oil filters. I have no financial gain with the promotion of this cutter., though Vince maybe able to retire early .........

Anyone ever use an exhaust pipe cutter?
71mLkaX%2BEoL._SX466_.jpg

I've had access to a friend's oil filter cutter for all of my oil changes so far, but I've thought about using one of these. Free to borrow from auto parts store, and I'm stopping by there to recycle my old oil anyways.

Make very sure . . .

the Regs, Summit, Speedway Motors version of tool has a knurled aluminum handle. I got an early version and it fell off the bench the first use and shattered the handle. The later versions have the aluminum handle.

I have two, one for home and one for hangar. They are both the same design. One is a Caterpillar (aluminum handle) tool and the other is the speed parts tool. You will have to drill a hole but it remains plenty stiff/strong to cut the filters.

I will try the others one day, but for now these don't seem to have any drawbacks in operation. You will have to remove the oil filter o-ring seal to settle the cutter below the end plate.

The cutter wheels on these cutters can be purchased at Home Depot, Menards, etc. I?ve changed mine on my Airwolf cutter a couple times over the last 20 years. Works great.

Plus one on the aircraft tools oil filter cutter

I purchased the ATS oil filter cutter at OSH several years ago and it works like a dream. Fast and solid.

Back