What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Van's FD plan's RV-12 USB stick

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
I was gifted the Van's KAI plans from Van's on a USB stick.

I realize I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but in looking at the RV-12 Original model Files, it seems that there is a Field missing or a page missing, sort of like a Table of Contents like you'd find in a POH or PAO.

Just a whole bunch of section numbers, with no description of what each section references in the build.

Perhaps I am retarded and should be looking somewhere else for it on this Memory stick? Descriptions of the sections instead of having to open each file section o to see what is inside? Sort of like chapters in a book, having names.

Any ideas where I should be looking? It's like a field is missing or a table of contents that describes on one page what each section is about in the KAI?

Trying to get some part numbers for the Van's carb throttle springs, prop pitch setting and the nylon washers for the cowling and pant leg fairing screws.

Last edited:
Page 1 and 2 of section 1 is a flowchart with the section titles.

Attachments

• 01_12.pdf
    82.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
1 INTRODUCTION GETTING STARTED
2 DESIGN PHILOSOPHY
3 TOOLS AND WORKSPACE
4 PARTS INDEX
5 CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, PROCESSES & USEFUL INFORMATION
6 VERTICAL STABILIZER
7 RUDDER
7A TRIM TAB
8 ANTI-SERVO TAB
9 STABILATOR
10 TAILCONE
11 EMP ATTACHMENT
12 EMP FAIRINGS
12A STABILATOR TIP FAIRINGS
13 SPAR ASSEMBLY
14 REAR SPAR, STUB SPAR, HINGE BRACKETS
15 WING RIBS
16 STALL WARNING
17 WING SKINS
18 FLAPERON WING KIT EMPENNAGE / TAILCONE KIT
20 CENTER SECTION
21 MID FUSE RIBS & BOTTOM SKINS
22 FWD LOWER FUSELAGE
23 SIDE SKINS
24 ROLLOVER STRUCTURE & F-1207 BULKHEAD
25 TAILCONE ATTACHMENT
25A PLEXIGLASS AFT WINDOW
26 SEAT BACKS
27 RUDDER PEDALS & BRAKE SYSTEM
28 FUEL SYSTEM
29A FWD UPPER FUSELAGE
30 WING ATTACHMENT
31B FUSELAGE WIRING HARNESS
32 FLIGHT CONTROLS
33 MISCELLANEA FINISH KIT FUSELAGE KIT
34 CANOPY
35 LANDING GEAR & ENGINE MOUNT
36A GEAR LEG & WHEEL FAIRINGS
37 FUEL TANK
38 COWLING
39 AUTOPILOT SERVO BRACKETS
40 LIGHTING
41 INTERIOR PANEL KIT
41A CANOPY FRAME MOLDING
42F ACK E-04 ELT EUROPE COM KIT
42G GTR200 COM-INTERCOM
42H GTR225 COM RADIO
42L PM3000-RV GARMIN AVIONICS KIT
42M CONTROL MODULES
42N GARMIN G3X TOUCH AVIONICS
43B SKYVIEW DUAL DISPLAY
43C G3X TOUCH DUAL DISPLAY
43 D-180 DUAL DISPLAY
44A AP-74 & AUTOPILOT SERVOS
44B GARMIN DUAL AXIS AP
45A FIREWALL FORWARD WIRING HARNESS
46 ENGINE INSTALLATION
47 SPINNER & PROPELLER POWERPLANT KIT
48 EXHAUST SYSTEM
49 COOLING SYSTEM
50 ENGINE CONTROLS
51A PLACARDS AND CERTIFICATION DOCUMENTS
52 TOW BAR
53 SKYVIEW ADS-B
53B GARMIN ADS-B
57 GARMIN XM
58 SKYVIEW AP-KNOB PANELS
59 RUDDER PEDAL EXTENSIONS
61 GARMIN ADS-B OUT

Thank you for this... will keep it on the covers of my KAI books down at the hangar, and a copy with my flash USB

Trying to get some part numbers for the Van's carb throttle springs, prop pitch setting and the nylon washers for the cowling and pant leg fairing screws.

NinerBikes - Joe has provided you the index for each section which will be very helpful for you. Section 4 has a description of most all of the parts used to assemble the RV-12. Some part revisions and new parts will likely not be listed there if you have older revisions of the build plans.

If you are looking at earlier versions of the plans, some of the items you may be looking for will likely not be there. Some of the newer parts numbers, such as the torsional carb springs, can often times be found in the service bulletins and/or notifications that describe the reason the new part or upgrade of an existing part was made. As an example, the original landing gear fork has a part number of WD-01230 but the new updated fork has a part number of WD-01230-1 (Van's typically adds a -1 to the part number for the first revision of a part). You wouldn't know this offhand unless you have access to notification N 16-09-21. Or the part number for the carb torsional springs you mentioned ... the part number for the new spring is listed in SB 18-03-06.

My suggestion to you would be to look at the rev level of each of your drawings and compare them to the drawings posted on Van's site and download the newer versions or sections/pages you don't have. The goal is to have a complete up to date set to work from. Also remember, new procedures can be introduced and listed in the actual drawings ... such as the procedure for using a digital level for setting the prop blade angle in section 47-07.

I would also suggest you print out every notification and service bulletin to place in a binder along with an index showing the compliance status of your RV-12.

I just ordered the RV12/12IS USB stick today. I have the 14 and 9 as well. LOL. Having trouble deciding, but I am leaning towards the 12 as my first one for a time builder and cheaper on the gas. And being stuck in Bahrain at the moment, I need something else to read.

Keith

What does KIA mean here?

Dave

Dave the letters are transposed ... should read KAI ... Kit Assembly Instructions. Apparently it is a name stipulated by the ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) standard for light sport aircraft.

Last edited:
What does KIA mean here?

Dave

Kit Assembly Instructions. It’s an oversized loose-leaf book of diagrams and text that describe how to build a kit, step by step. Useful to have, for maintenance purposes, even after a plane is built. For example, recent Service Bulletins have referred owners to KAIs for more detailed guidance on how to comply with the SB.

Back