What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B IN for Avare

FORANE

Well Known Member
What are the best options these days for getting ADS-B on Avare?

Currently I have ADS-B out with a Navworx ads600-b, but cannot get the wifi dongle to function so no traffic from it for the tablet. The Navworx does provide arinc traffic to the 430w, but the traffic on a 430w is of limited utility.

I had a Stratux which worked but ceased functioning and despite re-flash and replacement of microsd card, replacement of GPS antenna, replacement of raspberry pi 3b board, examining logs, etc, I cannot get it to work.

Current tablet for Avare is an Asus TF700.

I've used both a DualAv XGPS 170 bluetooth and a Radenna Skyradar DX.

Used prices are about the same as a completed Stratux.

Current Android platforms Series 9 and 10 need all power savings OFF. Avare has an active google forum- did you try getting help?

I've used both a DualAv XGPS 170 bluetooth and a Radenna Skyradar DX.

Used prices are about the same as a completed Stratux.

Current Android platforms Series 9 and 10 need all power savings OFF. Avare has an active google forum- did you try getting help?
Hey Moose

Thanks for your post. I had a Dual some years back and seem to recall poor reliability and overheating. How was your experience with using either of the two units?

Hadn't tried the Google forum, wasn't familiar, but will try it also.

My Dual170 has been great, once I got a good antenna on it. It gets sun.

Skyradar is also good for EFIS serial and Apples via Wifi, but do NOT expect Skyradar to wifi to Android- it uses unaupported Ad Hoc wifi Android needs to be Rooted to accept Ad Hocs.

This is direct from Alexy at Radenna.

The larger Skyradar is easily remote mounted.

Neither are torture tested for sun.

Last edited:
Avare

You need to download "Avare External" and that is what connects to ADSB.
Works great with Uaviox. Gets traffic and weather.

I use the I/O applet still, but with wifi you are not supposed to need it anymore.

Likely a power saving connection issue or unable to hit port 43211 or 4000.

Preferences, GPS, External Wifi Port, tap, I use 43211.

You need to download "Avare External" and that is what connects to ADSB.
Works great with Uaviox. Gets traffic and weather.
Yes, Avare External is the 1st app I open prior to opening Avare. Was working perfectly.

I use the I/O applet still, but with wifi you are not supposed to need it anymore.

Likely a power saving connection issue or unable to hit port 43211 or 4000.

Preferences, GPS, External Wifi Port, tap, I use 43211.

Now that you mention 4000, I seem to recall 4000 showing on the External app when selecting wifi. Haven't seen it lately. Out of state now with the plane; left the Stratux at home. Will have to look more next time I am home.

I had a Stratux which worked but ceased functioning and despite re-flash and replacement of microsd card, replacement of GPS antenna, replacement of raspberry pi 3b board, examining logs, etc, I cannot get it to work.
Stratux will still be the cheapest way to get ADS-B in to Avare. I suggest getting on the Stratux Slack channel and asking for help there. If it worked but "just stopped working," it's possible an SD card failed or filled with log files. Re-flashing will fix the log file issue, but not the failed SD card. SD card infant mortality rates are quite high, so it may take one more.

Back