What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB antenna under baggage bay

Eddie P

Well Known Member
Hi folks getting ready to drill the hole to mount my antenna for the ADSB (UAT Echo).

I recently had the seats and floors out for the CI. Wanted to install at that point but things got busy and ended up getting her all buttoned up to fly before I could install the antenna.

My transponder and VHF antennas are under the pilot seat floor area. Install guide says to keep 1 meter away from those antennas and the ADSB antenna. This leads to an idea to install the ADSB antenna in the wing inspection panel area, the nose area just behind the cowl, or in the aft bag bay floor area.

Are there any particulars that would be advisable to know about, that would have me avoid mounting the ADSB antenna under the bag bay? It would be to the aircraft left side... to the left of the elevator control bell crank structure. I?d simplify everything with the GPS antenna aft of the passenger seat and a single wire run from the avionics bay to the bag area.

The wings are slightly more problematic (though doable) since I have to use longer cable runs and find a new way to get cables out there.

Thanks!

I mounted both the ADS-B antenna and receiver aft of the rear baggage compartment. The antenna aft of that bulkhead and the receiver just forward. The receiver is connected to the rest of the SkyView system via a single, four conductor shielded wire. The antenna lead is less than a foot long.

Fourth plane like this - works well.

Carl

When installing the ADS-B antenna behind the passenger seat - whether in the baggage area or on the top of the fuselage, what route do you take to run the wire from the antenna forward to the device (be it an GDL-82 or some other device).?

I took a cursory look Sunday and there didn't seem to be any clear routes.

Thanks

For a retrofit, one option it to run it under the right longeron, like you run the static line under the left longeron.

Note - mount the antenna and ADS-B receiver aft of the baggage compartment, not under the floor of the baggage compartment. Do not mount the antenna on top of the fuselage.

Carl

For a retrofit, one option it to run it under the right longeron, like you run the static line under the left longeron.

Note - mount the antenna and ADS-B receiver aft of the baggage compartment, not under the floor of the baggage compartment. Do not mount the antenna on top of the fuselage.

Carl

Are you talking the lower longerons?

Why should we not mount the antenna on the top of the fuselage aft of the Pax seat (under the canopy but aft enough so the bar clears it when you close the canopy)?

Are you talking the lower longerons?

Why should we not mount the antenna on the top of the fuselage aft of the Pax seat (under the canopy but aft enough so the bar clears it when you close the canopy)?

Upper longerons.

Not mounted on top of the fuselage for the same reason you don't mount your transponder antenna on top of the fuselage. For that matter I don't know of an ADS-B antenna with a low enough profile to allow the canopy frame to slide over it.

The only thing I mount on top of the fuselage is the GTN-650 GPS antenna, just aft of the rear passenger seat and under the canopy. I mount it there only because the GTN-650 is finicky on where you mount the GPS antenna.

Carl

Upper longerons.

Not mounted on top of the fuselage for the same reason you don't mount your transponder antenna on top of the fuselage. For that matter I don't know of an ADS-B antenna with a low enough profile to allow the canopy frame to slide over it.

The only thing I mount on top of the fuselage is the GTN-650 GPS antenna, just aft of the rear passenger seat and under the canopy. I mount it there only because the GTN-650 is finicky on where you mount the GPS antenna.

Carl

My apologies...I was thinking "GPS antenna" and you were speaking ADS-B antenna.

Now what you say makes sense to me.

I would like to mount the GDL-82 puck on the fuselage behind the passenger seat.
However I looked at running coax along the upper longeron Sunday and the pathway seemed stopped by the front seat fixture - the fixture against which the top of the front seat rests.

Last edited:
Gregg,

I'm not familiar with the GDL-82 setup, so I looked at the install manual. It seems to me this is an clunky way to get ADS-B, but I guess you have reason to do so.

For running the coax, there are tooling holes in the mid cabin support bar brackets (front seat bar) to use.

Carl

Gregg,

I'm not familiar with the GDL-82 setup, so I looked at the install manual. It seems to me this is an clunky way to get ADS-B, but I guess you have reason to do so.

For running the coax, there are tooling holes in the mid cabin support bar brackets (front seat bar) to use.

Carl

Well I would have much preferred to buy a Garmin ADS-B Out ready transponder like the G 345 and replace the 327. That would have been the cleanest solution.

However the location of the present transponder prevents that as the 345 is an inch deeper and the hole in the panel is too low - the back of the transponder would hit a cross bar.

Sooo...given that I had the 327 it looked like the simplest way to go.

If I re-do the panel then I'll simply for an ADS-B out transponder.

Ok I'll look again at the mid-cabin support and see if I can find the tooling holes you mentioned. That would be the simplest routing for sure.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back