What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GDL-82 Configuration Problem

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
So, I got the GDL-82 installed, but am having difficulty with the configuration. When I turn on the power on and launch the GDL 8X Install Tool on my laptop I get the check mark in the present block next to ?GDL-82? as seen in the figure on page 7-2 of the install manual. It then brings up the ? Unit Information Page? as shown on page 7-4. I get the green box in the lower left that says ?Configuration Mode?, but after about 5 seconds it turns red and says disconnected.

Obviously I did something wrong somewhere, but I can?t figure out what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Problems

I don?t remember for sure, but I think I had the transponder off while I did the configuration. Maybe that makes a difference. Maybe double check you have steady power to the unit.

-Andy

Did you touch anything during those 5 seconds? Those 28 AWG wires to the USB connector could easily cause a loose connection.

No, I didn't touch anything. After the first time I crawled back inside to make sure none of the wires came loose and tried it again. I did it a total of 7 or 8 times and the result was always the same.

It seems like the program knows the GDL is there, but can't connect to it.

So, I got the GDL-82 installed, but am having difficulty with the configuration. When I turn on the power on and launch the GDL 8X Install Tool on my laptop I get the check mark in the present block next to “GDL-82” as seen in the figure on page 7-2 of the install manual. It then brings up the “ Unit Information Page” as shown on page 7-4. I get the green box in the lower left that says “Configuration Mode”, but after about 5 seconds it turns red and says disconnected.

Obviously I did something wrong somewhere, but I can’t figure out what.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Steve,

Since most of us make so many wiring mistakes, it is always good to re-check the USB wiring. In addition to possibly plugging a pin in the wrong connector hole, a bad pin crimp may also occur.

75px-USB_Type-B_receptacle.svg.png

If you want to use a multi-meter to check end-to-end, it isn't too hard to get a probe on each of the 4 pins of the USB pigtail. Using the above Type B pigtail pinout (looking into end of pigtail), here is the cross reference to the connector pins on the DB-15 that plugs into the GDL 82.

Pigtail 1 to GDL 11 (red wire)
Pigtail 2 to GDL 1 (white wire)
Pigtail 3 to GDL 6 (green wire)
Pigtail 4 to GDL 7 (black wire)

The white and green are the USB data wires, and I suspect you may have a problem with one of them.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Don?t know if it?s important and pretty sure g3xpert will chime in.

The install tool has a specific order of plugging in and powering up to link with the install tool.

The install tool has a specific order of plugging in and powering up to link with the install tool.
By golly you're right! I had forgotten that you have to plug your laptop to the USB-B connector with the GDL-82 powered down. Then, after powering up the GDL-82, you bring up the GDL-8X install program. But I would sure ring out the connector pins first.

Success!

Thanks to all of you who provided input. I would have been one to suggest checking the pin locations as well, but I was super careful in putting the connector together and double and triple checked each connection.

The prize goes to Ken at Garmin support (I also asked the question directly to Garmin). His response started the same as everyone else's, but then he went in a direction that I hadn't thought of. His response was, and I quote:

1. Verify USB port terminations at connector.
2. USB cable length should not be over 4 feet.
3. Use a good quality USB cable.

What? USB cable no longer than 4', I had never heard that before. I was using a 15' Amazon Basics cable. I've never had problems with Amazon Basics products before, but this one did not work, either due to the length or just poor quality.

I stopped by Wally World on the way to the airport and got a 6' cable (couldn't find a 3'). I plugged it in and then the GDL 8X Install Tool kept crashing. Oh great, another problem. After a couple of computer reboots I got a connection and it was rock solid throughout the entire ground test process.

It is interesting because when I was finished I thought, you know, when all else fails RTFM (read the instructions). And on page 7-2 of the install manual, item 3 at the top of the page says "The cable length should not exceed 16 ft." I don't know if the problem was that the cable was too long, according to the installation manual it shouldn't be, but per Ken's suggestion it definitely was, or if it is just a poor quality cable.

Either way, everything appears to work fine, no faults, no interference, all green. All that is left is to put everything back together and go fly it. Yeah, right, ALL that's left...

Wooo-hooo! You got 'er done! Who would have suspected the USB cable length? Not having a laptop, I brought my desktop from home to do my configuration:

83hxc9.jpg

Any Suggestions?

I helped a friend install the GDL-82 in an RV7 and ATC has asked more than once if he is a formation of 2.
I am at a loss to know where to start looking for problem.
It is installed with the stand alone WAAS GPS antenna.

I would like to update my GDL-82 software on the bench. So I was hoping to just connect the USB port and then power it up.

Is this possible? Or do I have to have the antenna and transponder connections made in order to upgrade the software?

thanks

I have just inherited a GDL82. Does one need to fabricate this USB adapter or it is supposed to be part of the kit when purchase?

Yep. I had to change computer USB cables. The one I grabbed out of my schlock box wasn't good enough. It did the exact same thing over and over so naturally I took apart the whole airplane panel and pinned out the GDL 82 connector and checked the quality of the wiring. After hours of frustration I went and got the USB printer cable off my desktop and WOOLA! It was a bad USB type A/B cable from the outset. I threw the first cable away in the trash bin.

I have just inherited a GDL82. Does one need to fabricate this USB adapter or it is supposed to be part of the kit when purchase?

Like JLILTD said the USB adapter I got with the unit was worthless. Took one off a printer and it worked great.

To clarify some of the terminology. The Garmin GDL 82 comes with a female Type B USB dongle that is part of the connector kit that gets pinned into the DSUB connector at time of installation. It allows the installer to program the unit and set discrete settings and the like. Here is what that dongle looks like after being installed on the connector:

piGiUti.jpg

The installer then provides their own USB interface cable to talk to the GDL 82 app on the computer. This app is called "GDL 8X Install Tool". Usually this user-provided cable is a conventional printer cable that is USB Type A (male) to Type B (male).

usb-20-type-a-to-type-b-usb-2-a-b_large.jpg

However with a more modern laptop with USB-C either an adapter is used to use this same type of A/B cable or a new cable with USB-C (male) to USB Type B (male) is used.

Chenyang-Cable-CY-USB-C-USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-Connector-to-USB-2-0.jpg

Either way works fine. There is no type of VGA interface of any kind as VGA is a video connector, not a data connector.

The "VGA" connector is called DB-15.
--
The GDL-82 has nothing todo with VGA; just happens to have a DB-15 connector. :)

--

If you don't have the black USB-B pigtail that comes with the connector kit, you can sacrifice a USB cable and connect it however you see fit. Just keep to the maximum length spec. noted above. Is that that problem?

ie. as long as you hook up the four signals to the host computer, you should be okay. {+5v, DATA+, DATA-, and GND}

Hope that helps,
-AJ

fly funny

I never thought of a desk top computer on the wing...
What a great boost to processing power in flight.
Doe it take much rudder trim in flight?

Back