What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B out working or not?

RV9APILOT

RV9A, N159MA. Just finished my panel upgrade to include ADS-B out. Installed new Garmin GTX 335 with GAE12 altitude encoder. Test flew Saturday morning. Called OKC approach, they gave me a squawk code, I told them I was checking to see if my ADSB was working. They said they were picking up my transponder but no ADSB. I landed and did some more in the set up. Took off again but this time had another airplane with ADSB-In go up too. ADSB in equipped airplane picking up my ADSB out. I called OKC approach, they give me a squawk and they were still not picking up my ADSB out. So, airplane equipped with ADSB in is picking me up but OKC approach isn't. Question is, is my ADSB out working or not?

[Deleted your duplicate thread--please do not cross-post in multiple sub-forums per VAF rules; S.Buchanan]

Last edited by a moderator:
yup

I've had this happen as well. Came down to inexperienced controller really knowing what to look for. I tried it with a different tower and they saw it right away. If someone is getting it - its transmitting

Have you checked on the FAA website for the report? Local controllers are nice, but the report is what matters in the end. It's free ;)

I did go to the website where you put in your flight date and tail number and other stuff and your email address. When I got that report it was showing my tail number to be Russian or something. So I probably put something in wrong. I am going to have to do some more testing but I was pretty sure as stated above that if someone was picking it up, it was working. Maybe wx will cooperate this coming weekend and I can do some more checking. I was talking to another EAA chapter member that had just had their meeting and explaining to them what was going on and he told me they had a speaker at their meeting talking about ADSB out and he wasn't sure if OKC was even 100% ready for ADSB. So I may head to Tulsa for some more checking.

The local controller may not have access to the data (he probably does) but it's definitely being logged. Figure out the report on the FAA site that will tell you what's wrong/right with your install based on errors it shows.

Remember the "B"part of ADS-B is broadcast. You can also verify with a Stratus portable receiver connected to foreflight. on the map page, hit the settings drop-down, look for stratus, then clickon that, scroll down to "ownship", and tap that and you will see all of the operational data.

I did go to the website where you put in your flight date and tail number and other stuff and your email address. When I got that report it was showing my tail number to be Russian or something. So I probably put something in wrong.

This sounds like the ICAO hex code you entered is not the one that belongs to your N-number. I'd double-check that before you do anything else.

There are several places on-line that will generate the ICAO code from the N-number, here's one

http://www.avionictools.com/icao.php

My pitot/static/xpdr tech found just such an error prior to the first flight...I had misread an 8 as a B or vice-versa. So check *carefully*.

FAA PAPR Report

RV9A, N159MA. Just finished my panel upgrade to include ADS-B out. Installed new Garmin GTX 335 with GAE12 altitude encoder. Test flew Saturday morning. Called OKC approach, they gave me a squawk code, I told them I was checking to see if my ADSB was working. They said they were picking up my transponder but no ADSB. I landed and did some more in the set up. Took off again but this time had another airplane with ADSB-In go up too. ADSB in equipped airplane picking up my ADSB out. I called OKC approach, they give me a squawk and they were still not picking up my ADSB out. So, airplane equipped with ADSB in is picking me up but OKC approach isn't. Question is, is my ADSB out working or not?

[Deleted your duplicate thread--please do not cross-post in multiple sub-forums per VAF rules; S.Buchanan]

Good Morning,

It does sound like you may have an incorrect ICAO address entered in the unit. In configuration mode, navigate to the ADS-B Group, and then cycle to the Address page. If you enter the tail number and it is recognized as a US registered tail number, the ICAO address will be pre-filled by the GTX and you will only need to compare the generated address to your aircraft registration to ensure it is correct.

If you would like, email us over a copy of your PAPR report and we can take a look at it for you.

Thanks,

Justin

I did go to the website where you put in your flight date and tail number and other stuff and your email address. When I got that report it was showing my tail number to be Russian or something. So I probably put something in wrong. I am going to have to do some more testing but I was pretty sure as stated above that if someone was picking it up, it was working. Maybe wx will cooperate this coming weekend and I can do some more checking. I was talking to another EAA chapter member that had just had their meeting and explaining to them what was going on and he told me they had a speaker at their meeting talking about ADSB out and he wasn't sure if OKC was even 100% ready for ADSB. So I may head to Tulsa for some more checking.

I had this happen and it was the wrong hex code, I entered on digit incorrectly when I set up my transponder. The guy who did my transponder check caught it.

RV7A FLYER was right. I got an ICAO Hex code and got it entered and went for a test flight this morning before the rain came. OKC approach was really busy so I stayed out over Lake Thunderbird and called KOUN (Max Westheimer) and talked to them and they said they were getting my ADSB. I checked the PAPR upon return from flying and it obviously worked, I got the report and forwarded it to Garmin. I'll see what they have to say. Thanks everybody for the information and help!!

RV7A FLYER was right. I got an ICAO Hex code and got it entered and went for a test flight this morning before the rain came. OKC approach was really busy so I stayed out over Lake Thunderbird and called KOUN (Max Westheimer) and talked to them and they said they were getting my ADSB. I checked the PAPR upon return from flying and it obviously worked, I got the report and forwarded it to Garmin. I'll see what they have to say. Thanks everybody for the information and help!!

If there were no red items on the report, then you've passed. Were there?

There were 2 red blocks, 100% fail. "Bar alt" and the "Geo alt".
We emailed it to Garmin. We know it's probably something in the settings.

There were 2 red blocks, 100% fail. "Bar alt" and the "Geo alt".
We emailed it to Garmin. We know it's probably something in the settings.

Did you perform the calibration the GAE encoder?, Did you have the xpdr checked as req'd?

Last edited:
ADS-B out is working now. Went flying Saturday and OKC approach was getting my ADS-B out. Got home and did the ADS-B performance report and came back with no red boxes. Thanks to all for all the help.

Working well. Have you perhaps also considered adding ADS-B In? It's nice, on the Dynon Skyviews, to get current TFR's and weather reports showing up on your screen in writing, as well as rain, at various airports., that are current and usually only 4 to 10 minutes old. Plus all the air traffic around you shows up on your screen, direction, distance from you, N number, elevation above or below you, etc. Very handy to have if you are in Veil C airspace of B class airports.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N159MA

Last edited:
I have considered ADSB in. Was going to go with Garmin GDL39, it would work with my AERA 660 or tablet. Although there are lots of options out there for ADSB in.

To the OP. Today I took my plane up to test a newly install ADS-B out. I was a distance away from PHX approach at 9500', I called to ask for an ADS-B check. Approach gave me a squawk code then came back saying they show my Xponder but no ADS-B. I flew a bit more towards PHX but no ADS-B. Came back to base... A few hours later I went online to see if there was a report... Sure enough, there was a report and the ADS-B passed (no red). All the flight info was there and right... SO... I don't think I would always trust the controller

one thing on the 335, if you turn the transponder on with the on button. you may get a red block on the alt. alwas turn it on with the alt button.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

To the OP. Today I took my plane up to test a newly install ADS-B out. I was a distance away from PHX approach at 9500', I called to ask for an ADS-B check. Approach gave me a squawk code then came back saying they show my Xponder but no ADS-B. I flew a bit more towards PHX but no ADS-B. Came back to base... A few hours later I went online to see if there was a report... Sure enough, there was a report and the ADS-B passed (no red). All the flight info was there and right... SO... I don't think I would always trust the controller
FWIW: Controllers are there for traffic control so they only see what their "sector" feeds them the instant they look at it. The only way to 100% check for ADS-B compliance is the on-line report as you did. Anything else will be "hit and miss".

:cool:

Back