What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NavWorx tech issues - help each other

I just got mine rewired to use my 430W and got the same yellow block [NACv] on the papr. It's not red so I'm going to ignore it and fly on.

The above is from several months back; I just found it in a search since I had the same thing on a recent ADS-B report. About it, the FAA ADS-B Users guide says:

Note on NACv: The FAA has not approved, or otherwise evaluated, any ADS‐B position source
with the horizontal velocity accuracy performance required to transmit a NACv value greater
than 2 (NACv of 2 = Estimated Velocity Uncertainty <3 m/s). When NACv MIN and/or AVG are
highlighted yellow in the Integrity & Accuracy table of the report (i.e. transmitted NACv
MIN/AVG is 3 or 4) you are advised to contact your installer and/or applicable ADS‐B avionics
manufacturer for guidance on how to change the NACv value to that approved by the FAA at
certification, or for non‐certified equipment, a NACv value not to exceed 2 without FAA
evaluation.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to contact my ADS-B avionics manufacturer... any other help here? Position source is a Garmin 400W. Would this be an issue coming from the position source, or the NAVWORX? The "you are advised to..." language is interesting as it seems to imply that this is not a strict requirement or failure. But still..."

Last edited:
The above is from several months back; I just found it in a search since I had the same thing on a recent ADS-B report. About it, the FAA ADS-B Users guide says:

Note on NACv: The FAA has not approved, or otherwise evaluated, any ADS‐B position source
with the horizontal velocity accuracy performance required to transmit a NACv value greater
than 2 (NACv of 2 = Estimated Velocity Uncertainty <3 m/s). When NACv MIN and/or AVG are
highlighted yellow in the Integrity & Accuracy table of the report (i.e. transmitted NACv
MIN/AVG is 3 or 4) you are advised to contact your installer and/or applicable ADS‐B avionics
manufacturer for guidance on how to change the NACv value to that approved by the FAA at
certification, or for non‐certified equipment, a NACv value not to exceed 2 without FAA
evaluation.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to contact my ADS-B avionics manufacturer... any other help here? Position source is a Garmin 400W. Would this be an issue coming from the position source, or the NAVWORX? The "you are advised to..." language is interesting as it seems to imply that this is not a strict requirement or failure. But still..."

I just flew my ADS600-B 200-0012 using a 430W as position source. My compliance report was perfect except for the NACv. My NACv was also yellow with avg: 3.7, min: 3, max: 4. My flight was very short duration, at low altitudes, and around the Appalachian mountains lower than ridges. Suspect low altitude; will try flying a bit and see. A search of this site for NACv yields many results; here's one:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156572

Just installed an ADS600-B with 430W as position source, 327 transponder.
Passed PAPR report.

Fails to get traffic on 430W (430W ARINC wired per schematic for traffic and setup for 330 transponder per install manual. ADS600-B ARINC 429 port setup display type: ARINC 429 traffic advisories, high baud rate and ARINC 429 installed checkbox checked)

Fails to get traffic on GRT HX (HX serial 7 in wired to serial port 1 out of ADS600-B per install manual; HX serial 7 in setup to receive ads-b, ADS600-B serial 1 out setup for display type: traffic alerts at baud 115,200 both HX and 600-B)

Fails to get traffic on AVARE Samsung TF700 tablet using WIFI and ADS600-B display port 2 set to display type TIS-A.

Any ideas why no traffic?

Just learned ARINC was not standard on these boxes. Rather, ARINC was an optional add on card. So, if your ARINC doesn't function it may be due to lacking the optional add on card.

Just learned ARINC was not standard on these boxes. Rather, ARINC was an optional add on card. So, if your ARINC doesn't function it may be due to lacking the optional add on card.

Actually, I have an ARINC box and interestingly, the lines are active (ie my GNS480 does not give me a failure and I get a traffic box), but no traffic is being passed on them and the box is just a quiet blank screen, so I pulled them, and I'm passing traffic to my 2xGRT Hxr with no issues.

Last edited:
Just installed an ADS600-B with 430W as position source, 327 transponder.
Passed PAPR report.

Fails to get traffic on 430W (430W ARINC wired per schematic for traffic and setup for 330 transponder per install manual. ADS600-B ARINC 429 port setup display type: ARINC 429 traffic advisories, high baud rate and ARINC 429 installed checkbox checked)

Fails to get traffic on GRT HX (HX serial 7 in wired to serial port 1 out of ADS600-B per install manual; HX serial 7 in setup to receive ads-b, ADS600-B serial 1 out setup for display type: traffic alerts at baud 115,200 both HX and 600-B)

Fails to get traffic on AVARE Samsung TF700 tablet using WIFI and ADS600-B display port 2 set to display type TIS-A.

Any ideas why no traffic?

I have similar gear to you (see sig block)....As noted above, I also cant get traffic on the ARINC lines going to my GNS480 - I get signal, but no traffic, go figure. Gave up on that.

On the HXr, I'm sending from Pin5 to both HXr B23. I found that tho the documentation says you can get traffic off both Navworx Pin 5 or Pin 25, its not true - its one or the other, not both.

As for configurations:
Display side
HXr set to Zaon PCAS Traffic, 9600 baud
Alt Encoder: HxR set to Upsat Format, 9600
ADBS source: 480, 9600
Xpndr receive: 327 , FADC with Alt

Navworx side
Alt Encodr: Upsat Apollo, 9600
Display: Traffic Alerts ,9600
Control Panel: 327
GPS source: ADSB Out and Compliant

I havent flown yet, so I cant comment on if the FAA will like it, but I get traffic alerts in my garage and the Navworx configuration program gives me all green and the traffic shows up on both HxRs.

Do you have a Navworx box with Wifi in it? I'd heard that none of those ever were shipped, and tho I have the 9pin serial output hanging to add a serial-to-wifi dongle, I havnet done that yet. Curious on your implementation in this regard.

Last edited:
I have similar gear to you (see sig block)....As noted above, I also cant get traffic on the ARINC lines going to my GNS480 - I get signal, but no traffic, go figure. Gave up on that.

On the HXr, I'm sending from Pin5 to both HXr B23. I found that tho the documentation says you can get traffic off both Navworx Pin 5 or Pin 25, its not true - its one or the other, not both.

Alot to digest here; will break it down in pieces. There is a known bug in the software that won?t display traffic on both display ports. You can only use one display port at a time.
As for configurations:
Display side
HXr set to Zaon PCAS Traffic, 9600 baud
Alt Encoder: HxR set to Upsat Format, 9600
ADBS source: 480, 9600
Xpndr receive: 327 , FADC with Alt

Navworx side
Alt Encodr: Upsat Apollo, 9600
Display: Traffic Alerts ,9600
Control Panel: 327
GPS source: ADSB Out and Compliant

I may try these settings but have a question.
The EFIS I have is a GRT HX. I only use it on the full attitude indicator screen - no split screen, no map, no engine monitoring...
Do you know if it will even display traffic at all when only set to the attitude indicator with synthetic vision screen?

I havent flown yet, so I cant comment on if the FAA will like it, but I get traffic alerts in my garage and the Navworx configuration program gives me all green and the traffic shows up on both HxRs.
Getting traffic in your garage is interesting. I wasn't expecting it until above a couple thousand feet. I flew my install yesterday for 8 minutes and passed the PAPR.

Do you have a Navworx box with Wifi in it? I'd heard that none of those ever were shipped, and tho I have the 9pin serial output hanging to add a serial-to-wifi dongle, I havnet done that yet. Curious on your implementation in this regard.
I bought Bob's box. No WIFI in it but does have wired serial to WIFI adapter. I have wired it but need to go back to the plane and test its functionality. Was more interested in getting 3 greens, making sure it was a compliant install, getting back in the air after a maintenance hiatus and ensuring the plane didn't have squaks after the maintenance.

Alot to digest here; will break it down in pieces. There is a known bug in the software that won?t display traffic on both display ports. You can only use one display port at a time.

Indeed, I know; didnt know if you knew, but the outcome is the same.
I may try these settings but have a question.
The EFIS I have is a GRT HX. I only use it on the full attitude indicator screen - no split screen, no map, no engine monitoring...
Do you know if it will even display traffic at all when only set to the attitude indicator with synthetic vision screen?

Uh, dont know the Hx presay, tho obviously the HXr is its progeny and I use 95% of the Hx manual to configure the Hxr. In anycase, I get traffic specifically on a traffic inset. I know its supposed to show up on the main synthetic screen, and I think I've seen it, but cant be sure - my traffic blinks in and out and tho its different locations and altitudes, I think its actually my reflection off the concrete floor. But I'll get a hit about once every 5 or 6 secs and then it'll disappear in a few secs. I dont think thats long enough for the synscreen to process it, and if it is, its rarely in my(static) direction of travel.

Getting traffic in your garage is interesting. I wasn't expecting it until above a couple thousand feet. I flew my install yesterday for 8 minutes and passed the PAPR.

Yup I didnt know what to expect, but was digging it when I got hits....good to know on the PAPR

I bought Bob's box. No WIFI in it but does have wired serial to WIFI adapter. I have wired it but need to go back to the plane and test its functionality. Was more interested in getting 3 greens, making sure it was a compliant install, getting back in the air after a maintenance hiatus and ensuring the plane didn't have squaks after the maintenance.

LOL I tried to buy Bobs box as a back up (twice), but low balled him both times because it didnt have ARINC, but he wouldnt respond to me. Oh well.

I spent in inordinate amount of time getting the Navworx box to work - basically zero help really anywhere, I guess cause there are so many diff mfgr boxes that would be in a configuration, and catching a similar person is nae impossible. If you wanna chat via phone, pm me and I'll help you best I can.

Thanks Mani, I may take you up on that.
I also bought a 200-0013 as a backup. Any idea if there is a way to know if a box has ARINC besides wiring it up and seeing if it works?

Thanks Mani, I may take you up on that.
I also bought a 200-0013 as a backup. Any idea if there is a way to know if a box has ARINC besides wiring it up and seeing if it works?

When you hook up the UAT to it, it'll tell you if it is/is not installed. That said, getting it to work, at least for me, is a mystery.......

When you hook up the UAT to it, it'll tell you if it is/is not installed. That said, getting it to work, at least for me, is a mystery.......

By hook up UAT are you referring to this page of the UAT console? Where down at the bottom I was able to check the box for ARINC installed and it appeared to update the Navworx box without issue?
s2v3wp.jpg

By hook up UAT are you referring to this page of the UAT console? Where down at the bottom I was able to check the box for ARINC installed and it appeared to update the Navworx box without issue?
s2v3wp.jpg

Yes sorry - the console program - same you have there. If theres no ARINC it shouldnt allow you to tick that box - and it should come up with "no arinc installed"...that said, theres no documentation to go by wrt to this, all I know is it did it to me once, then didnt do it again as I have ARINC. No idea why it did it, but thats how I know the error msg is there......

Interesting, just went back to the plane and connected UAT console. Clicked ARINC installed box off then back on. It is now giving the message ARINC not installed...
2ro6qld.jpg

Still unable to get traffic on GRT.
Checked WIFI and found no WIFI signal coming from ADS600-B box in spite of wiring it in per install manual. Navworx pin 25 (serial port 2) to WIFI adapter white, pin 23 to WIFI black and pin 3 to WIFI red.

One or the other...how does it choose which one? I have wired both pin 5 (to GRT) and pin 25 (to WIFI). Not getting signal on either (I think). The serial port setup doesn't allow one of these ports to be selected as off.

Maybe its my wiring. At least it is transmitting ok...

Got mine working with 430W showing traffic by swapping ads600-b to my backup unit which had ARINC installed.

One or the other...how does it choose which one? I have wired both pin 5 (to GRT) and pin 25 (to WIFI). Not getting signal on either (I think). The serial port setup doesn't allow one of these ports to be selected as off.
Maybe its my wiring. At least it is transmitting ok...
Yeah cant say for sure. All I know is pin 25 doesnt work for me, and I have everything coming off pin 5 - forget pin 25, and turn off your Arinc.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck finding the UAT Console application (4.1). I?m trying to track it down, but haven?t had any luck. It?s hard to keep up with these things when a company goes out of business and ceases all support :( Thanks!

latest sofware from NavWorx

Guys, console program 5.0 was never released by Bill Moffett, to my knowledge. It was supposed to fix some bugs (wifi to pads, other stuff) which were known issues. He did have it completed when the FAA stuff became onerous.
I do all my own work, wired the unit up. It was a process, but it does work fine. It is interfaced with a SL70 transponder (for code and alt pass thru), an Aspen PFD (for the altitude), a GNS 480 (for data pass thru and for WAAS position/time), and a GMX200 and an Aspen MFD for traffic and FIS weather displays (weather on GMX200, not Aspen-locked out). And an ipad running Wing X.
Last version I had access to, and still have in numerous places, was 4.1.0.
Too bad we cant get access to 5.0.
FWIW I have a 600B certified unit. it works fine, passes all tests still for 4 years now. I had to connect it to my GNS480 WAAS unit output (ch 6) to be compliant with the last NavWorx AD. No problem there-one wire did it. I do get traffic and weather on my GMX200 (and traffic on Aspen MFD), but NO traffic on my ipad running Wing X pro (NavWorx was never compatible with Foreflight), however I do get weather on the ipad, the FIS, go figure. 5.0 was supposed to fix that.
I may have buffer issues with my GMX200, I believe it 'may' be caused by the 600B but could never confirm that was the cause. What happens is the GMX200 shuts down spontaneously and restarts. Spend a lot of time with Garmin with that issue, it never got 'fixed'.
YMMV. Good luck all.

Guys, console program 5.0 was never released by Bill Moffett, to my knowledge. It was supposed to fix some bugs (wifi to pads, other stuff) which were known issues. He did have it completed when the FAA stuff became onerous.
I do all my own work, wired the unit up. It was a process, but it does work fine. It is interfaced with a SL70 transponder (for code and alt pass thru), an Aspen PFD (for the altitude), a GNS 480 (for data pass thru and for WAAS position/time), and a GMX200 and an Aspen MFD for traffic and FIS weather displays (weather on GMX200, not Aspen-locked out). And an ipad running Wing X.
Last version I had access to, and still have in numerous places, was 4.1.0.
Too bad we cant get access to 5.0.
FWIW I have a 600B certified unit. it works fine, passes all tests still for 4 years now. I had to connect it to my GNS480 WAAS unit output (ch 6) to be compliant with the last NavWorx AD. No problem there-one wire did it. I do get traffic and weather on my GMX200 (and traffic on Aspen MFD), but NO traffic on my ipad running Wing X pro (NavWorx was never compatible with Foreflight), however I do get weather on the ipad, the FIS, go figure. 5.0 was supposed to fix that.
I may have buffer issues with my GMX200, I believe it 'may' be caused by the 600B but could never confirm that was the cause. What happens is the GMX200 shuts down spontaneously and restarts. Spend a lot of time with Garmin with that issue, it never got 'fixed'.
YMMV. Good luck all.

Just for clarification, it may work ok, but it's not legal to use unless you've complied to the AMOC particular to your unit and gps navigator.

Avare

The ADS600B I installed does not have Bluetooth Capability. WiFi works woth the AVARE software using the Avare Eternal Plug in I/O set to receive on 4000
channel. Avare on Android tablet displays N number of aircraft which is helpful for situation awareness. I use the GNS430W for position and the backup EFIS D-6 for encoder. I have A PFD< MFD G3X legacy (non touch) display with GSU73 and GTX 327. Could never get pickup from transponder antenna wire even with stripping sheilding to bare wire in the TransMon.

Navworks

I just reacquired my RV8 (YEA!!!!...REALLY MISSED HER!!!) that I built 16 years ago. My friend that I sold her to put in a very nice avionics package.
Having trouble with the Navworks changing to my tail number. Looking for anyone who has the PC software that I can use to change my tail number.
Have a Garmin 430 WAAS and the GRT Sport system that uses the Navworks. Being a NORMAL aviator, I took my 8 to the really outstanding and wonderful folks at Georgia Avionics and it has them stumped as well. BELIEVE me, IF Aaron and Andrew are stumped, there's an issue!!!
THANKS.
Jim Lawrence
"NOMAD"

I just reacquired my RV8 (YEA!!!!...REALLY MISSED HER!!!) that I built 16 years ago. My friend that I sold her to put in a very nice avionics package.
Having trouble with the Navworks changing to my tail number. Looking for anyone who has the PC software that I can use to change my tail number.
Have a Garmin 430 WAAS and the GRT Sport system that uses the Navworks. Being a NORMAL aviator, I took my 8 to the really outstanding and wonderful folks at Georgia Avionics and it has them stumped as well. BELIEVE me, IF Aaron and Andrew are stumped, there's an issue!!!
THANKS.
Jim Lawrence
"NOMAD"

Shoot me an email on the PM and I'll e it back. Its only about 8megs.

looks like Mani has the program to send. Realize that with various internet providers and social media that they do not allow the program to be sent directly by email and has to go through a cloud server to prevent malware distribution. The program is called "UAT Console". This is a necessity to have on your laptop with Microsoft OS. You would need to connect this to your USB port and then be able to check functioning and settings of the Navworx ADS600-B. It would be best to have a battery on the laptop since you will need to have the airplane out of the hangar to allow clear satellite reception to check proper functioning. That said, the Navworx unit should have the USB cable in place for connection and you may need an extension patch cord for length. And last but not least you will fly the plane at reception altitude for 30 minutes (my own criteria) to allow for ATC to record the funtioning of the unit also known as the Fly & Validate Step, which then allows for you to download the official FAA ADS-B Performance Report. While you are checking the Navworx unit with the "UAT Console" be sure to note the IACO hex # or Octai number to be sure they are consistent with the FAA Aircraft Registry.

THANKS.
Jim Lawrence
"NOMAD"

To clarify, Jims Navworx box is the ADS600-B, not the ADS600-EXP. The software that rv7charlie generously shared is for the -EXP. The main difference seems to be that the -EXP has wifi, while the -B doesn't seem to and uses a serial port for communication. Does anyone know where I could get the UAT console for the -B? Thanks!!

To clarify, Jims Navworx box is the ADS600-B, not the ADS600-EXP. The software that rv7charlie generously shared is for the -EXP. The main difference seems to be that the -EXP has wifi, while the -B doesn't seem to and uses a serial port for communication. Does anyone know where I could get the UAT console for the -B? Thanks!!

Unfortunately, after selling my unit, I haven't kept the supporting applications and docs around.

The issue you may run into, is what version of software is currently installed. There are two installer methods. The original Term program and the newer UAT console. While there was a method to convert, it wasn't straight forward. I bricked mine doing the conversion and had to send it to Bill to fix.

I have ADS600-B UAT Console NavWorx 4.0.9.exe, it's only 7.9 MB so can probably email. Still have my old navworx box and the usb wifi dongle.

Keith Rhea
RV7

Unfortunately, after selling my unit, I haven't kept the supporting applications and docs around.

The issue you may run into, is what version of software is currently installed. There are two installer methods. The original Term program and the newer UAT console. While there was a method to convert, it wasn't straight forward. I bricked mine doing the conversion and had to send it to Bill to fix.

I have ADS600-B UAT Console NavWorx 4.0.9.exe, it's only 7.9 MB so can probably email. Still have my old navworx box and the usb wifi dongle.

Keith Rhea
RV7

The problem is many email applications, firewalls, filters, etc won't allow users to receive executable files. Most can even tell if you simple rename the exe to something else.

I've got the UAT software for the ADS600-B and can try uploading it to Dropbox where you should be able to download it. Will try and get to it tonight.

Thanks all---I've got a copy of the software and will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks again!!

I have a Navworx ADS600-B from my fathers RV-10 project. I believe this is the certified unit? I found it in an unopened return shipping box. It looks like he sent the unit to Navworx and received it back in late 2016 and never opened the box.

Can anyone speculate as to why he sent it to Navworx? There is no packing slip specifying the work performed and I can't find any correspondence with Navworx in his email.

Was there a hardware or software update that was common in 2016? I realize these units have next to no value these days but given that it's a certified unit, maybe someone could use it.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your discovery has some value to those of us that remain NavWorx users - I am one...

There were a couple of issues a few years back that required hardware upgrades along with software version changes.

As a 'new' install - I wouldn't... as there is no support other than forums like this. Additionally, there are requirements for use of an external GPS source - depending on the version (part number). If it is to be re-installed - test it extensively before flying in an ADS-B-required area.

Those of us with existing installation could test it for you if you want to keep it.
Folks like me are looking for spares so it has some value to me....

If you decide to ditch it - allow me to 'discard' it for you...

Hope this helps!

Ralph’s comments are spot on.

I wouldn’t assume you have a certified unit. You need the full part number to make that determination. The certified units are rare, since the cost of the certified GPS was expensive. Not very many people purchased them.

There are many reasons why it may have been sent back. Bill had multiple boards version over the life of the product, some major upgrades and some minor. At one time, I could have shared that history, but I don’t have that data anymore.

While Ralph and I were the ones that facilitated the original round of AMOCs, I have just about forgotten most of what I knew about the product. I uninstalled my unit shortly after I finished the AMOC. It’s amazing how fast you forget things.

They basically have no value today, except as spares to somebody that still has one installed.

Ralph’s comments are spot on.

I wouldn’t assume you have a certified unit. You need the full part number to make that determination. The certified units are rare, since the cost of the certified GPS was expensive. Not very many people purchased them.

There are many reasons why it may have been sent back. Bill had multiple boards version over the life of the product, some major upgrades and some minor. At one time, I could have shared that history, but I don’t have that data anymore.

While Ralph and I were the ones that facilitated the original round of AMOCs, I have just about forgotten most of what I knew about the product. I uninstalled my unit shortly after I finished the AMOC. It’s amazing how fast you forget things.

They basically have no value today, except as spares to somebody that still has one installed.

Thanks Bob. I'm assuming it's the certified unit because the label says "ADS600-B" vs. "ADS600-EXP" (link to image of EXP label from Google image search).

Also, in searching my father's email, he'd written that he has the certified unit in corresponding with Stein.

The complete part number is 200-0012-10-10.

The 200-0012 and 200-0013 units are the ones that were referenced by the AD. They were originally stated as certified based on fulfilling the initial technical requirements. The SIL definition is what got them in to trouble. Dismissing the hwmod and swmod numbers (-10-10).

This unit would need to be tested and upgraded to the latest software and could be of value to current users that are not using ARINC-based displays (ARINC-based display users need the part number to end with 1 or 3) again dismissing the hwmod and swmod numbers (-10-10).

Years and years later....

evaluation.

Four years later and I'm finally doing Phase1 on my bird and I consistently get this exact NACv yellow box on my PAPr report, but all "no"s in the exceptions summary box. No other report issues. I have a -13 Navworx box hooked to a GNS480 for GPS source. Did anyone track down what the FAA wanted done to "fix" this NACv yellow box thing? Or is it an ignore and fly on? Thanks for any help!

Four years later and I'm finally doing Phase1 on my bird and I consistently get this exact NACv yellow box on my PAPr report, but all "no"s in the exceptions summary box. No other report issues. I have a -13 Navworx box hooked to a GNS480 for GPS source. Did anyone track down what the FAA wanted done to "fix" this NACv yellow box thing? Or is it an ignore and fly on? Thanks for any help!

Same on my report.

Note found on page 1 of the report:
Note: Items highlighted in red within this report indicate the ADS-B Out system installed on this aircraft failed to
meet the corresponding performance requirement as specified in § 91.227.

With no red and only yellow, I have continued to fly on; have not heard any complaints from the man...

With no red and only yellow, I have continued to fly on; have not heard any complaints from the man...
Pretty sure that's typical with NavWorx.
You WILL get a letter for red flag items, so unless that happens it seems safe to fly on.

Last edited:
The FAA has not determined any requirements for the NACv issue.
If they were to, it would most likely render all NavWorx boxes unusable as they are no longer supported by anyone for software updates.

Fly-on - red is bad, yellow is still OK....

Pretty sure that's typical with NavWorx.

So Ive seen this hinted at a few times, but for the record...

...Can we get everyone that is using a Navworx to chime in about their NACv and if its yellow boxed too? Might help for anyone who comes here in the future.

Mine reports NACv min=2, max =4, avg=3.8

Thanks to everyone who resonds!
Cheers

I have had flights with a yellow NACv like yours with similar values.
I have also had shorter flights with no NACv abnormalities.
That particular metric from my research will be dependant on the different flight regimes and durations.

I would also suggest NOT poking the FAA bear for additional information on the yellow indication. Their response could come in the form of an update requirement - rendering our NavWorx equipment no longer usable.

Back