What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 Wing

dwaynebob

Bought a project and looked at the fuselage where the wing connects (sorry, still learning what to call things, I call it the wing box but I don't think that's correct.) My buddy, who is helping me, who built an-6 suggested we get Vans to give us a suggestion. I found two holes that are not satisfactory. One looks like it was torn, the other looks like sloppy drilling or perhaps re-drilled incorrectly. Opinions based on solid FAR references go to the head of the line.

view

view

I would -

Find a set of plans or at least the main spar detail for yr of 3.
Drill out and replace main spar bulkheads - blanks undrilled from Vans
Use wing spar existing holes to drill bulkheads to spar bolts holes.
Hopefully spar bolt holes are ok.
Confirm the above with Vans.

Will

It looks like it's a very early RV-3 and it sure looks like it needs a new spar bulkhead, which is what those photos show.

Unfortunately, the spar bulkheads were matched to the spars so it's going to be a real treat making that repair, even assuming that Van's can supply drawings and parts. The current version, the RV-3B, is considerably different through there. For this sort of thing, the factory is going to be your best resource.

I hope this thing didn't cost much.

Dave

Looks like the main spar carry through structure to me. This is a critical part of the wing structure. Some of these holes aren’t just mis-drilled. One is ripped. How did that happen? One of the holes looks like it was miss drilled more than once, maybe three times. I would have to question the integrity of the holes in the spar, so make sure you verify they are not damaged in any way. The bolts that go in there go through the wing spar and four splice plates. Some of them are interference sized bolts, and must fit tightly.
I am no expert, so I’m just saying what seems obvious to me having built a few of these. There are many here on this forum that are experts, and they will probably chime in. But I think your first option would be to talk to Vans Aircraft, show them these pictures, and get their opinion too.

Messed up holes

All thoughts above worth considering ! Something to consider is a doubler could be installed over the oversized/ripped holes. That said, to avoid the need for a complete bulkhead replacement ( big job and oversized rivet holes), the spar holes and 4 steel doublers must all match. FYI, I have afull set of circa 2009 steel doubler plates if you need them.

doubler

Thanks Larry, my A&P suggested the doubler (patch) fix. I am replacing the torn hole as I am doing some reskin work on that side anyway so it shouldn't be too difficult. I figured if I have to take out the bulkhead, I was going to by 3B wings and do that mod.

It is an old build, however, it has changed hands a few times and I'm fairly certain subsequent owners may have been, how should I put this, not too deligent.

Doubler.

Looks like the fuselage was hung in the torn hole.

Problem with doubler will be how to dimple the new rivet holes holding the doubler to the bulkhead(s). I guess you could mount the male dimple die in/on a 1" bucking bar. The rivet holes will have to be spaced so as not to weaken the bulkhead around the existing bolt holes.

Finn

If you're going to attempt a repair without replacing the bulkheads, you really should contact Van's. Seriously.

Dave

Back