What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle Avionics

Status
Not open for further replies.
is anyone still having trouble with downloading seattle avionics maps?

No, but they don't work in Canada.

They manually delete the portion of the cross boarder maps, ie; Montreal. Why go to the effort of doing this and thus make their service less attractive?

is anyone still having trouble with downloading seattle avionics maps?
I've always had trouble downloading them. Their "Data Manager" program is poorly implemented -- heavy CPU load and uses a lot of resources. This is not bashing a vendor; this is a fact.

I won't be renewing my subscription.

I used them for geo referenced charts on WingX Pro. At OSH the WingX guy told me they had severed their tie with Seattle. He didn't say why, but it makes you wonder.

SA charts require hours to download using a Mac vs. 20 minutes for ForeFlight charts on an iPad. Both use same high speed Internet connection. I have given up on SA.

Because of the tedious aggravation trying to download on an old PC laptop, because Seattle Avionics shun the Mac, I really don't think I'll re-subscribe.

The VFR sectionals option is nice but not enough for me to consider alternatives.

Seattle are difficult to communicate with also.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. SA is a miserable experience all the way around - enough that it will be an EFIS discriminator when it comes time for my panel if nothing changes.

I think they are the data behind Fly Q that AOPA provides. That app is going away... as a member benefit soon. I don't see much future for the company after that. In this era... painful and difficult downloads should not be acceptable.

Dynon are the same?I have to download on an old PC laptop because they too don't support my being able to use my MAC.

It's not like Apple products are 'rare' these days! I'm amazed that with the Sophistication of Dynon they can't accommodate a Mac!

Dynon on MAC

Dynon downloading has always worked fine with my MAC for RV12 data - not S.A. (which I have not used) but regular Dynon data and system upgrades.

What's the problem with Dynon stuff downloading to a Mac? I sure am not a big fan of Dynon customer support (for reasons posted elsewhere on VAF and my blog) but I never had an issue with Dynon due to me using a Mac....

SA charts require hours to download using a Mac vs. 20 minutes for ForeFlight charts on an iPad. Both use same high speed Internet connection. I have given up on SA.
No Seattle Avionics for me or our flight club until they get their "Mac House" in order. All of us use Macs.
When and if they ever do that, we will take a closer look at it.

I'm sorry…I must be completely wrong here. Vans told me that I couldn't , and shouldn't , use my MAC laptop to download updates from Dynon.
Vans also said, for the RV12, NOT to download Skyview system updates (like the new 11.0 version) until they'd wrung out any "RV specific bugs" and to then download it from their site.
I didn't see anywhere on the Dynon site where it addressed any differences between PC and MAC users. Sometimes e.g.. TurboTax…the software will say PC users download one set of software and Mac users another.

Just called Dynon Tech Support who said it should be okay to download to a USB on a MAC although he wasn't sure whether there was 'some issue using Safari'.

So, as a newbie…I'm still confused.:(

Dynon on MAC

I've never had an issue with Dynon downloads on MAC/Safari. They are simple file downloads and should not be complicated by the operating system.

For SeattleAvionics, the file structure/number for the charts and maps are extensive and their DataManager S/W which actually automates the downloads and updates but it ONLY works on a PC. You can manually copy the files on a MAC, but its very complicated and really not worthwhile to try in my opinion. As previous pointed out, many of us who use MACs, also use a utility that mimics the PC environment as there are many other S/W programs that work in Windows that I like to access on my MAC. If you have that option, then the DataManager S/W works just fine.

Yes, it would be ideal if SeattleAvionics also supported a true MAC system. I'm hoping that they will see the feedback on here and elsewhere and address these customer requests in the near future.

I download Dynon SV updates with my Mac (using Safari or Chrome - but that shouldn't matter either) to a USB stick all the time. Never ran into a problem that would have been caused by the OS.

I'm sorry?I must be completely wrong here. Vans told me that I couldn't , and shouldn't , use my MAC laptop to download updates from Dynon.
Vans also said, for the RV12, NOT to download Skyview system updates (like the new 11.0 version) until they'd wrung out any "RV specific bugs" and to then download it from their site.
I didn't see anywhere on the Dynon site where it addressed any differences between PC and MAC users. Sometimes e.g.. TurboTax?the software will say PC users download one set of software and Mac users another.

Just called Dynon Tech Support who said it should be okay to download to a USB on a MAC although he wasn't sure whether there was 'some issue using Safari'.

So, as a newbie?I'm still confused.:(
The problem isn't with Dynon.
It is with Seattle Avionics.

I use and like FlyQ from SA on my iPad. Down loads are a bit slow but I have slow internet (best available in my area is 6-8Mbps) so never thought it seemed bad. I never down load more than a few states at a time so maybe my MMV if I needed more then just two states frequently.

I down load from Dynon on my Macbook. I use Firefox to do it. Never had a problem.
But downloading from SA, I cannot. Their Tech dept. said that because I am using a old operating system, they did not support it. I do not want to upgrade to a newer version so i use a PC
I hope that if I did upgrade I would be able to download from SA, and I hope it would be faster than even using a PC.
Dave

I'm having NO problem loading Seattle Avionics data. It took a long time to upload it the first time onto a new thumbdrive but the updates now take just a couple minutes and it is all done in the background. I have Windows 7 on a medium grade 5 year old HP laptop. I like the data and maps as they show up on the dual Skyviews in my RV7. I have a couple pairs of thumbdrives that are color coded. I keep one set in the panel and the other set in my laptop case. I just plug it in (one at a time) and the software asks me if I want to update. I just click yes and go back to work or surfing or reading VAF.

I've never had an issue with Dynon downloads on MAC/Safari. They are simple file downloads and should not be complicated by the operating system.

For SeattleAvionics, the file structure/number for the charts and maps are extensive and their DataManager S/W which actually automates the downloads and updates but it ONLY works on a PC. You can manually copy the files on a MAC, but its very complicated and really not worthwhile to try in my opinion. As previous pointed out, many of us who use MACs, also use a utility that mimics the PC environment as there are many other S/W programs that work in Windows that I like to access on my MAC. If you have that option, then the DataManager S/W works just fine.

Yes, it would be ideal if SeattleAvionics also supported a true MAC system. I'm hoping that they will see the feedback on here and elsewhere and address these customer requests in the near future.
After several frustrating days of attempting to download the chart data via both Mac and (aging PC), I decided to take another route. To solve the issue of my old, outdated PC and the downloading problems, I purchased a $179 Acer 11.6 inch PC with Windows 8.1 from Best Buy and dedicated it to this purpose and to keep with my aircraft. I still had problems getting the downloads to work. So, I called Seattle and received wonderful service and extremely courteous and knowledgable help from Keith! Many compliments to Keith! He walked us through the tech problems and solved our PC download issues very quickly! It now appears to be working beautifully. I do hear and support everyone else who would like to see an Apple friendly download format since most of what I do is in the Apple world. Hopefully, Seattle will make that available soon for all of us. In the meantime, purchase of this cheap little PC seems to be a solution.

Instead of downloading, perhaps Seattle Avionics would agree to put the data on your USB Flash drive after you mail it to them. Another suggestion is for Seattle Avionics to sell USB drives with the data already downloaded onto them.
Joe Gores

Seattle Avionics Charts on Dual Skyveiw system

For those with dual displays does one Seattle subscription handle both? I couldn't find the answer searching the forums. I know the data needs to be on 2 USB's, one for each display.

Thanks
Gary

I use two sets of two sticks for my two displays--all on one subscription. One set in plane, other set ready to download current data/maps. No problems.

No, but they don't work in Canada.

They manually delete the portion of the cross boarder maps, ie; Montreal. Why go to the effort of doing this and thus make their service less attractive?
They cut the Canadian content from the U.S. Sectionals?! Really?! Can anyone else confirm this?

Canada geography

Yes, they do. Does seem odd - they must be trying to force cross boarder flyers to buy the Canadian database separately.

My Seattle subscription just expired. I decided not to renew.

For $99.99 all I really used was the sectionals and the geo-referenced taxi charts (which shows up on the Info page for an airfield on SkyView. I like the Dynon map and FF so much I rarely ever looked at the Seattle product.

Downloading updates was a monumental PITA for me because they're not Apple compatible so I had to use my old Acer Netbook which literally took hours.

A conversation with Seattle proved pointless…they don't acknowledge Apple and appear unlikely to add that option..

Okay…so my subscription to ForeFlight also came due. Simple download onto my iPad.
I added Synthetic Vision and now have the iPad linked to the Dynon WiFi adapter. My iPad is my backup using FF and the WiFi adapter.

FF cost $75 and another $25 for SV. Same total price as Seattle and vastly more useable and user friendly. YMMV:)

Yes, they do. Does seem odd - they must be trying to force cross boarder flyers to buy the Canadian database separately.

Thanks. As far as I know, however, there is no Canadian subscription for VFR chart data for Skyview. Our "charming" NavCanada runs the sky for profit, and won't release the data.

For those with dual displays does one Seattle subscription handle both? I couldn't find the answer searching the forums. I know the data needs to be on 2 USB's, one for each display.

Thanks
Gary

Yes, one subscription handles both displays, you will need two thumb drives to download it twice. Keith is very good. No problem down loading for my GRT displays. Takes about 45 minutes per thumb drive for all US approaches and eastern and mid-west states VFR and IFR charts. You can select which charts you want. Garmin GNS-430W takes about 15 minutes to down their info. I usually figure 2 hours to download everything one a month. I have a HP I-7 PC which is about 5 years old. One salvation is that the fiber-optic line comes to my house so my speeds are very good.

My Seattle subscription just expired. I decided not to renew.

For $99.99 all I really used was the sectionals and the geo-referenced taxi charts (which shows up on the Info page for an airfield on SkyView. I like the Dynon map and FF so much I rarely ever looked at the Seattle product.

Downloading updates was a monumental PITA for me because they're not Apple compatible so I had to use my old Acer Netbook which literally took hours.

A conversation with Seattle proved pointless?they don't acknowledge Apple and appear unlikely to add that option..

Okay?so my subscription to ForeFlight also came due. Simple download onto my iPad.
I added Synthetic Vision and now have the iPad linked to the Dynon WiFi adapter. My iPad is my backup using FF and the WiFi adapter.

FF cost $75 and another $25 for SV. Same total price as Seattle and vastly more useable and user friendly. YMMV:)

Seattle has a "Black Friday" special. Lifetime charts downloads for $799 (for Skyview version). 8+ years to break even and still not MAC compatible! Seems ridiculously expensive since the annual subscription is only $99 and many of us have decided not to buy/or renew given that it offers very little more than what Dynon provides monthly for free. I originally bought 2 yrs for $99 when it was offered on sales a couple of years ago. Was expecting (hoping) for similar pricing to be offered again. Might have considered it. But with a ForeFlight subscription for my iPad and Dynon's FAA monthly downloads for free, Seattle is just not offering enough value at that price. I just don't understand their pricing model...another lost customer.

Brent,
The Seattle Avionics special is $799 for all devices, forever, including certified devices. If you're looking at just Dynon data, then this likely doesn't make much sense, especially since Dynon subsidizes the lowest cost in the industry at $99 a year.

If you have a device from our certified friends and are paying $300+ a year, or if you're a customer that uses FlyQ and a panel device, then their pricing makes much more sense.

Not all deals are for all customers. We like to think the $99 for Dynon data is a black friday deal any day of the year.

--Ian @ Dynon

We like to think the $99 for Dynon data is a black friday deal any day of the year.

--Ian @ Dynon

It's not, Ian, given the problems that many of us continue to have with Seattle Avionics' horrible software. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us another vendor. I'd buy the service at twice the price if it worked flawlessly. But I won't give another penny to SA, given that their product just doesn't seem work a lot of the time. CEO seems to be more interested in telling me how great it is for their other customers than fixing their awful software.

It's not, Ian, given the problems that many of us continue to have with Seattle Avionics' horrible software. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us another vendor. I'd buy the service at twice the price if it worked flawlessly. But I won't give another penny to SA, given that their product just doesn't seem work a lot of the time. CEO seems to be more interested in telling me how great it is for their other customers than fixing their awful software.

I absolutely agree 100% !!

For $99 I found the software pretty slow to load and apart from geo-referenced position on a taxi-chart..virtually useless.

For $75 I get ForeFlight which is light years ahead of Seattle Avionics. For another $25 I get Synthetic Vision. This offers me a wealth of information for a $1 more than Seattle's product. Downloading on my Apple iPad and Laptop is seamless and virtually automatic.

I find it rather embarrassing for Dynon to continually shill Seatlle's far inferior product.

I dumped them after only one subscription cycle!

I absolutely agree 100% !!
For $99 I found the software pretty slow to load and apart from geo-referenced position on a taxi-chart..virtually useless.
For $75 I get ForeFlight which is light years ahead of Seattle Avionics. For another $25 I get Synthetic Vision. This offers me a wealth of information for a $1 more than Seattle's product. Downloading on my Apple iPad and Laptop is seamless and virtually automatic.
I find it rather embarrassing for Dynon to continually shill Seatlle's far inferior product.
Concur totally.

Last edited:
I just signed up for this. I wish I was younger though! That 2102 expiry date seems like a challenge (I would be 138 years old!)

But I might be getting into a certified airplane as well. Seems like the break even if you have multiple products is more like 4 years. I use Fly Q for sure, and of course Dynon....plus you get access to the web planner as well. Add an ASPEN or something similar, and it could get interesting!

I down load mine on a Mac using parallels, it goes fairly quickly using the ver 13....

Of course I won't even tell you what a full Jepp subscription would cost.

Last edited:
Are they the only IFR game in town?

I'm thinking about turning my cockpit into an EFIS IFR cockpit. And thus I've been hearing about Seattle Avionics. When it comes to geo-referencing on IFR
charts and approach plates, aren't they the only game in town?? If that's the case, maybe that's the reason their CEO has the attitude referenced earlier??

Just wonderin:confused:

I'm thinking about turning my cockpit into an EFIS IFR cockpit. And thus I've been hearing about Seattle Avionics. When it comes to geo-referencing on IFR
charts and approach plates, aren't they the only game in town?? If that's the case, maybe that's the reason their CEO has the attitude referenced earlier??

Just wonderin:confused:

According to this page: http://ipadpilotnews.com/2014/08/jeppesen-offers-lower-cost-app-subscriptions/

...$299 a year for the full IFR subscription USA only, and I can tell you that app wouldn't really work for VFR/IFR g/a pilots imho. It is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back