What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

audio message from Skyview

edward7048

Well Known Member
Is anyone getting any audio warnings from skyview. Dynon said that I
should be getting some like autopilot disconnect.

Yep, if you connected the audio out to your audio panel you should get AP warnings and many others for the engine stuff. The test is that you should hear the "Dynon Skyview" announcement at system startup.

The audio from Skyview should be input to the audio panel in an input that is not muted.

What audio panel do you have?

Dan

There's an Audio section in the SV menu tree. Go in there and turn any audible stuff you want on or off. It's completely customizable.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Sound off here!

I've been waiting for this to pop up. First off which wiring setup do you have meaning conversion harness originally designed for the D-180 or the new harness deigned for the Skyview only? Seems like a few guys who have the conversion harness cannot hear the many voice actuated warnings from the Skyview inflight. They can hear some stuff when the engine is not on but in cruise you can't hear anything. And yes this is after turning the volume up to 100% in the Skyview menu. Everybody who can't hear their warnings from their Skyview sound off on this thread and state which wiring harness you have. Or state your fix to the problem.;) although this is really not a big deal for many because of the visual warnings associated maybe we will be in lighten by some good info.:rolleyes:

audio message from skyview

I have a single cable from 403 flightcom intercom to the av 50000a
checked the audio section in the setup section of the skyview and
volume is set at 50% and all items are set to voice. Will try to
increase volume to a high level to see if that helps.

Page 4-18 of the current Skyview manual addresses the proper audio connections. Make sure you have both the audio high (signal) and low connected.

Dan

Conversion

I waited for Skyview but had the finish kit of the prior system so I had a conversion when the installation occurred. I do not have any voice warning when the engine is running. Visual warnings yes, but no voice. I do hear the "dynon Skyview " upon start up of the unit and "oil pressure " after the engine is shut down. The volume of theses voices is low despite the setting.

Audio messages from Skyview

Be careful what you wish for. I installed a very expensive and complete "TIS" and terrain warning system in my Bonanza which included a nice little female voice that said "Traffic, Traffic" and "Terrain Pull up" about every ten seconds. The Traffic, Traffic announcement was mostly due to the crowded skies here in So Cal but the Terrain--pull up ones were there any time I flew final approach. They couldn't be easily shut off......that's why some airline guys call the little voice "The Bit#@."

I think the visual warnings are plenty good enough.

EBB

I agree with the visual warnings being enough. I've read others irritations with continual voice or alarm warnings. You are correct...be careful what you wish for!

Skyvew voice

Hello voices on my skyvew call the lady "engine monitor" while the stall horns.
Any possibility to keep the lady quite

Daniel

In Skyview, the audible alerts can be configured to turn on or off whatever you want. There are no terrain alerts from Skyview. BTW, I don't see "stall" listed as an warning that can be made aural.

During flight if everything is in the green, you should only hear traffic alerts which means that the traffic is on a collision (or near collision) course in 30 sec. Personally, I would like to know that. I have a Garmin 495 that provides terrain warnings when I am within the terrain clearances I set and not on approach to a runway. If on approach it announces 500 ft, at which point one should be on a stabilized approach, including a final gear down check (assuming it retracts). Again, I would like to know if I am about to hit a tower or something.

Eveything else should be quiet in flight, unless something is wrong, again I'd like to know that. Now if you set your limits inappropriately, you might be getting inappropriate alerts.

Aural alerts help you keep your scan focused outside knowing that an aural alert will let you know to check back inside.

Dan

No Skyview Audio

RV-12 with skyview harness (not the upgrade). I have no audio from the skyview. Went to the setup screen, under audio and boosted the level to 100 %. You are supposed to hear a tone(?) when adjusting the level. With the engine off, I can barely hear something. Stall warning tone is quite loud, intercom and radio levels are excellent. What am I missing, or not doing?

Skyview Audio Alert with Conversion Harness

The Skyview audio alerts work for me but the volume is very low and makes it darned near impossible to hear the message when the engine is running and even less so when I'm in the air. I've gone into the system setup menu and my audio for all possible functions is turned on and the level is 100%.

Has anyone resolved this? I know what it should sound like because I did transition training in N412RV and the audio alerts while flying were easy to hear.

The Skyview audio alerts work for me but the volume is very low and makes it darned near impossible to hear the message when the engine is running and even less so when I'm in the air. I've gone into the system setup menu and my audio for all possible functions is turned on and the level is 100%.

Has anyone resolved this? I know what it should sound like because I did transition training in N412RV and the audio alerts while flying were easy to hear.
Try it from the passenger side. If your's is like mine, and I'm betting that is, the Dynon voice will be much better from that side. I also have a problem with my intercom: ISO mode locks me out, not the passenger. It would be interesting to know if your's is the same.

I too am having audio issues. I have the conversion harness setup. I hear the Dynon Skyview voice and the "engine speed" and "oil pressure" on shutdown (kind of faint) but do not hear many other things. I hear the AOA beeping very well. ISOLATE on the i/c knocks me out, not the passenger. (There was another thread with advice about swapping 2 wires at the intercom plug that just made things much worse so i just swapped them back.)

Radio and sidetone and intercom are fine (as long as it is not in ISOLATE)

My annual is in March. I intend to disconnect the music wire at the panel end.

I get a weird feedback when transmitting on the ground. Not in the air. That began after my last annual. The only changes I made then were to 1) add The ADSB box behind the bulkhead and the ADSB antenna. It is more than 3 feet from the com antenna. 2) Add the serial wire (unshielded) from the radio to the AV5000 to enable the new Skyview TUNE COM functionality. I'll be rechecking the antenna connector at the back of the com radio because I had to fool with that.

Since things have been OK but not optimum Ive put up with them. Hope to fix them in March. But my home hangar does not receive any continuous radio transmissions (like ATIS) which makes the troubleshooting process difficult. Fooling with the potentiomenters on the AV5000 is not easy! You can't even see if the little screwdriver is engaged.

Whats this about HIGH and LOW audio wires? I need to check that out too.

Heres some frustration about it. I installed the ADSB. Some were able to do this using the plug on the AV5000 marked for it. Simply plug in the 4 wires from the receiver to that plug and voila. Well, I could not. The power and ground wires worked but the two serial wires had no continuity to the correct wires in the 37pin D1000 connector. So I had to split those two out and stick them directly into the 37 pin connector. This lowers my confidence in the internal connections of the AV5000 and the harnesses in general. By the way, are all the connections that pass through the AV5000 supposed to have continuity when the AV5000 is unpowered? Or must the circuitry in the AV5000 be powered for some of the signals to pass through?

Bill H. N412BR "Sweetie" First factory Skyview conversion ELSA.

Last edited:
Conversion

I did everything else I could waiting for Skyview release so I had conversion connectors to install Skyview. I have audio turn up to 100% but can not hear it in cruise, only on the ground with engine shut down.

I have never messed with any of this associated wiring and I am okay with this set-up. I recall a past post where it might be a matter of be careful what you wish for when receiving the audio warnings. IMHO

are all the connections that pass through the AV5000 supposed to have continuity when the AV5000 is unpowered? Or must the circuitry in the AV5000 be powered for some of the signals to pass through?
Bill, do you have the latest RV-12 schematic dated 07-08-13?
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/download/RV-12/SkyView-After-08-25-11_07-08-13.zip
An earlier version showed AV-50000A as an empty box. The latest version shows how the wires are connected inside of the box. Most of the input wires pass straight through and do not require power. There are some functions that require power, i.e., stall tone generator, audio amp, spar pin monitor, pitch trim speed, lamp dimmer. I do not have the SkyView or AV-50000A. So my opinion is based on Van's schematic and my knowledge of my D-180 equipped RV-12.
Joe Gores

You mean this schematic?

Circuit2.jpg

Yes, but it is not that helpful.

Try it from the passenger side. If your's is like mine, and I'm betting that is, the Dynon voice will be much better from that side. I also have a problem with my intercom: ISO mode locks me out, not the passenger. It would be interesting to know if your's is the same.
My SV conversion harness package is operating the same way. No audible alerts over the engine noise with systems volume set to the highest. Also, the isolate knocks out me and not the passenger. The passenger knocks out the pilot. I'm sure it's a tko. I'll call Van's in the morning and hope there's a referee with the right answer.
Slane

I have the skyview installation - not the upgrade, and had the same problem. On the inboard side of the AV5000 are some audio output volume adjustments. There are two EFIS? adjustments marked L and R. I adjusted these (Can't remember which way to turn) and can now hear the skyview audio clearly.

RV-12 120622
waiting DAR insp

On the inboard side of the AV5000 are some audio output volume adjustments. There are two EFIS? adjustments marked L and R. I adjusted these (Can't remember which way to turn) and can now hear the skyview audio clearly.

Think of them as volume valves and turn them counter clockwise to open further and increase the flow (Just like a water valve).

Wow! I'm happy to hear this might be a possible 'fix' and am anxious to try it when I get to the hangar this weekend. THANKS!

That wont fix the intercom isolate problem. And weirdly, on mine some of the audio alerts are fine and loud (AOA beeping) and others are faint. I also intend to delve into the wiring on the intercom plug - figuring that will be the easiest place to solve the isolate issue rather than figuring out the av5000...

Skyview Audio Alerts

That wont fix the intercom isolate problem. And weirdly, on mine some of the audio alerts are fine and loud (AOA beeping) and others are faint. I also intend to delve into the wiring on the intercom plug - figuring that will be the easiest place to solve the isolate issue rather than figuring out the av5000...

Bill, any updates on the Skyview audio alerts front?
Slane

My recently completed RV-12 E-LSA with SkyView has this same problem with too low audio alert volume. I can hear the alerts through my stereo ANR headphones, but no amount of my fiddling with the AV-5000A EFIS L & R pots and/or SkyView master volume control seems to boost the volume high enough to be clearly heard over the engine noise. Comm and intercom seem to work fine. Anyone out there figure out how to make the alerts volume louder?

Regarding Audio Warnings from Skyview, I can confirm that, with the conversion harness, I get them. In my first hours of flight, something funny happened about these warnings. Whenever I was coming back into the pattern, I had the lady telling me "No Traffic", and I would be very impressed that she would know there was no traffic in the pattern as she was mostly right, my airport usually has little traffic around the pattern... Then I found out that Skyview provides traffic information through the transponder and the message meant simply that at pattern altitude there was no more traffic reception by the transponder!:D

I am about to dive into the intercom issue. Are the headphone plugs mounted in the plane stereo or mono? Don't want to take my wings off to check! The fuselage harness plans page only seems to show 2 wires, implying mono since the jack is not grounded to the fuse there.

Note this from the Skyview manual... Latest installation manual version 10 rev Q page 4-20

"Audio Output
Audio Output Electrical Connections
Dynon recommends that SkyView’s audio outputs be connected to an unmuted input on your audio panel or intercom. When connected this way, critical audio alerts generated by SkyView are not muted by ATC transmissions or other audio events that could cause SkyView’s audio to be suppressed if it were connected to a muting input.

This output cannot be connected in parallel with a radio to a headset. Doing so will significantly reduce the volume of the radio output, possibly to the level that it is not usable. An intercom such as the SV-INTERCOM-2S, audio mixer, or audio panel is required to utilize this output."

Audio messages

I am a SV conversion harness builder. My SV gave audio alerts but they were so soft as to be inaudible while the motor is running. I revisited page 42D-30 and experimented with the potentiometer settings. I'm not done yet in finding the optimum settings, but I can definitely hear the warnings now, e.g. RPM warning, etc.

Intercom isolate

Good question Bill, I've not checked this yet. I'm trouble shooting an electrical problem right now, but when I have that solved I'll check the isolate function.

My electrical problem alluded to earlier was a dead worn-out main battery. It would not hold a charge.

With access to the potentiometers, i was able to make some adjustments. After installation of software version 10.0 and fiddling with volume potentiometers, the audio alerts were too loud. I then went into the SV setup menu and lowered volume to 50 and now audible alerts are good, at least on the ground.

Regarding the isolate problem, still a problem. Pilot side is cut out.

Last edited:
The last post on this thread was 1 1/2 years ago. Surely, by now, someone has come up with the solution to these two problems. Perhaps it was restarted on a different thread, and I missed it. I will restate the problems.

First, I am Skyview with conversion harness, and have the same two issues.
1. Extremely low alert volume.
2. Isolate switch cuts out pilot

Also, what are the L and R EFIS pots suppose to adjust? Does the L and R relate to pilot and passenger, or something else?

I have lived with the visual alerts, and got along pretty well, but I now have my AOA installed and working, but it is useless without the audio alerts.

Thanks much for the help. It just sounds like these are very wide spread issues, and I, personally don't have enough talent to get to the bottom of them on my own. ..............Tom

Similar issue for my Skyview / SL-40 / FC 403 equipped RV-12 ELSA. My SV alert audio is fine as are all other audio aspects when my intercom (FC 403) is in ICS mode. However, whenever I put the intercom on ISOLATE, the SV audio alert volume drops to an unreadable low level and I lose the pilot's headset side tone. I also notice that when I use the ISOLATE mode, all of the slight background noise that is present in the ICS mode delightfully goes away and the background is very quiet! Any suggestions as to how I can improve my set-up?

Still lovin' my 12! :D

very low audio

I have an E-LSA RV-12, with skyview and garmin sl-40 com radio, and I can barely hear the audio coming from the Skyview, in fact I can not make out the alarm or alert, just hear a faint message. I have been hoping to find a way to turn up the skyview volume.

Tom O.

As a test, test it with your headset plugged into the passenger side. I get a significant difference. Haven't figured it all out though.

As a test, test it with your headset plugged into the passenger side. I get a significant difference. Haven't figured it all out though.

Hey Bill, your posts earlier in this thread mentioned that you also had an intercom isolate mix up problem, as well as a very low Skyview alert volume. My guess is that Van's sent us some mis-wired harnesses. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, I was waiting for a definitive fix. I'd be glad to fix it, but I sure would like to get some confirmation, and guidance from them. Did you ever find a solution to these issues? Yesterday, I finally sat down and wrote a detailed account of this situation to Van's support team. I will post the response. I'm sure that you know that there are a bunch of us out here with this exact same problems.

Tom

I mostly fly by myself and the problem is not "that bad" to have me start all the detailed troubleshooting. My old Dave Clark (with Headsets Inc aftermarket ANR modules) works well and the passenger side old-style headset works OK. Both are monaural. A buddy's Bose does not work AT ALL in the plane. I bought two QT Halos that don't work in the RV12 (work great in other planes.) So I've been waiting for someone else to solve this! My next step is removing the music wire and swapping pilot-passenger wires into the conversion harness. Easy to try. If that doesn't work I may totally rip out all audio from the AV5000 and wire the audio conventionally. I would do that in the middle of winter.

Thanks Bill. I did get a reply from Vans, which was very straight forward. Basically it guided me to the newest plans update for section 43D. This leads you through setting the sounds levels, which includes the preset levels for the AV50000A trim pot levels. Apparently the audio mixer required careful balance of inputs. Also, it is important that the presets are correct in the SL40, as well as the levels in the volume section in the Skyview setup.. It was also mentioned that the SV-1000 is inherently noisy, and that satisfactory use of the music jack is doubtful, and is best removed at the intercom plug. As far as the pilot/co-pilot jack confusion, he suggested swapping the jacks, which would not be easy at this point. I agree with you that swapping wires in the conversion cable may be much easier. Better yet, I was thinking about swapping them right at the intercom itself. Good luck with your effort this winter.......Tom

Back