What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

construction space minimums

dbrodymd

Hello all: I am thinking of trying to build in my basement (I don't have a garage) and wondering about getting things in. The largest opening would be through a window that is 48x52 inches, and I am looking at the RV-14 QuickBuild. I know the crate dimension exceeds the window opening but I would presume the individual components, once uncrated, might fit one at a time. Also wondering about getting things back out again once completed!

Thanks for any info on this.

David Brody

Big door

SB parts will go through no problem. You may have to curl a skin. I doubt finished wings or fuse will come out. My 7 wings are about 4' wide plus the depth of the chord would make for a tight fit. 7 fuse is at least 4' wide and about the same tall. 14 is bigger. QB parts are basically finished dimension.
Buy a chainsaw!

Hello all: I am thinking of trying to build in my basement (I don't have a garage) and wondering about getting things in. The largest opening would be through a window that is 48x52 inches, and I am looking at the RV-14 QuickBuild. I know the crate dimension exceeds the window opening but I would presume the individual components, once uncrated, might fit one at a time. Also wondering about getting things back out again once completed!

Thanks for any info on this.

David Brody

I can't find the chord of the -14 wing. Anyone? Bueller?

Your window opening is about 5'8" on the diagonal. I'm guessing the wing WILL fit through it with the flaps and ailerons removed. Worst case, maybe you leave the bottom skins and the flap/aileron hinges off, exit the nearly finished wings through the window and finish the wing(s) elsewhere.

Fuselage? I don't think there's a chance.

Compared to the cost of the project, having a larger opening cut into the basement isn't frighteningly expensive. I turned a 36" basement door into a double door (72") to get the -10 out of the basement. That was through a brick wall... Cost ~$2K, including $1K for the custom door and another $1K for the brick mason crew. I did the framing and door tear/out/installation.

follow up construction minimums

Thanks to all. I'm thinking then that trying to open up the foundation wall would be the most workable solution. Any specifics as to the cross sectional area of the several aircraft components?

David Brody

Would you have room to store other parts of the plane while you're working on something? Or would you make a suitable opening and then build the plane, knowing that your new walk-out door will find other uses.

My own experience is that parts accumulate and shop space is always at a minimum, no matter how much you have.

Dave

As an option, dig/remodel when you're done.

-4ca7daab1b339e66.jpg

Article and more pics: https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/2011/05/lower_allen_township_mans_base.html

v/r,dr

PS: Dan and I no relation.​

Last edited:
Would you have room to store other parts of the plane while you're working on something? Or would you make a suitable opening and then build the plane, knowing that your new walk-out door will find other uses.

My own experience is that parts accumulate and shop space is always at a minimum, no matter how much you have.

Dave

I think there would be room, though probably a bit tight. But the advantage of working from home would, I think, outweigh any benefit from a larger but off site space. In another life I will have a garage...

Since there is no wing taper, just divide the area (126.1 per Van's website) by the span (27) and get 4.67 ft or 4'8". A bit smaller than the 4'10" chord of the 7/8 wing.

I just measured my 10 wing (same airfoil as the 14) and without the flap or aileron it’s right at 48” including the brackets.

RV6 Came Out 48 x 48 opening

I built my 6 in a basement in Indiana and moved it to the garage for the last 12 months of build. I don't know how the 14 size compares to the 6, probably larger, but the 6 easily fit through a 48 x 48 opening without canopy/front windshield, landing gear or tail surfaces. Original window was only 18 x 30 and we had to dig out the ground on the outside and cut the concrete blocks to get a 48 x 48 opening. After we easily manually lifted the fuselage through the hole we installed the engine mount with gear legs and wheels already mounted, before wheeling it into the garage. Installing an egress window in the hole was an upgrade to the house at a very low cost. FYI, it is good to have an EAA friend with a backhoe to help out.

Back