What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Walkway / anti-slip

rsr3

Well Known Member
Whilst coming up with ideas for my colour scheme, I can't help but think a black walkway is going to really get in the way of my lines! Has anyone found a supplier for a white anti slip surface? I can find white anti slip tape but am concerned that it may not provide a long term solution, and the fact that it would have to be laid in strips rather than one piece may mean that the end result is not particularly attractive.

Be careful what colour you end up putting on the wing for walking on, black is done so as to stand out (as most wings are white or a light colour) especially for non aviation orientated pax.

3M makes some rubberized tape 2” width. Light gray is common, and black is harder to find. Very durable. Personally don’t like the abrasive ones.

Put some 3M paint protection tape sold by Flyboys next to the step tape. The clear makes it basically invisible but protects the paint if a foot is not fully on the step tape.

Been on for 5 years. Holding up well.

Last edited:
How well does that skateboard tape hold on at speed? Does it survive 200 mph airflow?

Oh yeah. 12 years and holding tight. The little piece on my step has been replaced a couple times (with leftover material), but it is dealing with a more aggressive curve.

Skateboard Grip Tape

Skateboard grip for me. No problems holding on at 200mph and can be changed out when I feel like it. I have "EXPERIMENTAL" printed onto the grip as well as some other stuff and currently have it in dark blue to match my paint scheme. I've used clear in the past with a decal underneath, but it did yellow a bit over time and really showed the dirty footprints. You can get these printed with anything you want for $20 each. I can't imagine painting wing walk stuff onto my wings that I couldn't remove/renew easily.

i-m4kVT2P-L.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst coming up with ideas for my colour scheme, I can't help but think a black walkway is going to really get in the way of my lines! Has anyone found a supplier for a white anti slip surface? I can find white anti slip tape but am concerned that it may not provide a long term solution, and the fact that it would have to be laid in strips rather than one piece may mean that the end result is not particularly attractive.
If you are painting it fresh, you can add non-slip additive to your paint mix and apply it. It will match paint color perfect (as you are using same paint) and it has the grit throughout and color through out. It wears very well. No doubt use a cheap spray gun for the walkway, with a larger orifice.... You can see the area because of the texture and it sits proud as you apply several thick coats.... I had it done on my RV4 which was pro painted now over 20 yrs ago... but I assisted. I forgot all the details... but it was not difficult.

The whole plane including the walk was looking brand new after 8 years when I sold the plane. When I paint my RV7 I will do this again. not a fan of the stickers.... You can google non skid or anti-skid (or slip) paint additive. Paint the plane. Then you tape off walk area, prep the surface to receive paint, shoot the colored non-skid paint on top (several thick coats). Perfect match, durable and will not peal like tape. However it is cheap enough to buy it, mix some paint and play with it. You may even roll it on spray I think is better (make sure the grit is mixed well).... Again perfect color match, durable, no peal, no staining or discoloration. I recall I was using expensive aerospace single stage high-gloss polyester urethane topcoat finish. There was nothing difficult about it. I'll DIY my next paint job....

https://www.hunker.com/13411802/how-to-make-non-slip-paint
https://www.ntruddock.com/product/n...MI0Pmc4JOD5wIVjYbACh16dQpyEAQYASABEgJBIvD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Durability-Additive-Clear-Anti-Slip/dp/B01FC8E7BM
https://exteriorcoatings.com/product/anti-slip-aluminum-oxide-additive/?attribute_grit-size=16+Grit&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7eH39JSD5wIVSdbACh3e-AjZEAQYBiABEgIvGfD_BwE

Last edited:
Paddy,

Are you getting these printed locally or from an online source? What size are you ordering, and what are you using to remove the old one without messing up the paint to replace them?

Thanks,
Lynn

Skateboard grip for me. No problems holding on at 200mph and can be changed out when I feel like it. I have "EXPERIMENTAL" printed onto the grip as well as some other stuff and currently have it in dark blue to match my paint scheme. I've used clear in the past with a decal underneath, but it did yellow a bit over time and really showed the dirty footprints. You can get these printed with anything you want for $20 each. I can't imagine painting wing walk stuff onto my wings that I couldn't remove/renew easily.

i-m4kVT2P-L.jpg

I had originally used some clear 3M walkway stuff from Aircraft Spruce (3M ? SAFETY-WALK? TAPE - 12 INCH CLEAR). It worked fine, but I replaced it after getting painted and went with the Van's black walkway version with the cut out RV-9A letters.

Back