What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attimeter or Artificial Horizon - 2.25'' / vacuum / lighted ❓❓❓

romanov

Well Known Member
Hello Guys,

I am looking for an advice regarding which backup Horizon I should take.
Any good experience you had are highly appreciated. The features I am
looking for:

• Size: 2.25''
  • Vacuum based
  • Lighted at night(good option, not must)

Thanks a lot
Roman.

Have you looked to see what's available in 2" instruments? And if you're looking for a reliable backup, I'd go with a battery over a vacuum system, not to mention maintenance...

Hello Guys,

looking for:

• Vacuum based

Thanks a lot
Roman.

...any concrete devices you use?

Hello Guys,

looking for:

• Vacuum based or Electric with backup battery.

Thanks a lot
Roman.

Will ask it one more time, if you have any good recommendation
for the instrument please post. :D:D:D

There aren't a whole lot of options to pick from for 2.25" vacuum AIs, so unless you find a deal, you are going to pay through the nose. If this would be your only Vac instrument, you are far better going electric with a battery backup, it would be cheaper overall and less maintenance.

MGL makes a 2.25" electric attitude indicator. You would have to add a separate backup battery though. The AI also has a turn coordinator function, so it can serve multiple purposes.

Power consumption is listed as 73mA for the instrument and 120mA for the ADAHRS, so it wouldn't take much to power.

TCW sells a backup battery system. Their small one is 3AH, which would run the MGL until you die from old age. Heck, a regular 9v would run it for a good hour or two.

For what it is worth the G5 is about as robust as any artificial horizon you can buy for any amount of money. Plus it has it's own back up battery that will out last your fuel endurance. I am not sure how hot the inside of an aircraft parked in the Israeli sun can get, but providing you have a white canopy cover the G5 should be as heat tolerant as your radios.

If you have the connections you might find the back up AI for an F16 but the electrical supply will need modification from 12V DC to high voltage AC high freq. to run it.

Last edited:
Will ask it one more time, if you have any good recommendation
for the instrument please post. :D:D:D
I had the same dilemma six years ago when I finished my RV-8A and wanted a 2.25" attitude indicator to backup my Dynon SkyView. Electric ones (e.g. Mid Continent) are crazy expensive but I located a used 2.25" TruTrak ADI.

BackupInstruments.jpg

The TruTrak ADI is "rate based" and not exactly the same as an attitude indicator but for my purposes, it's better. If I actually need it I'm more interested in a rate of descent or turn than an actual pitch or bank angle. It has a provision for backup power (12V) but I'm not using it.

It's no longer produced and I don't know TruTrak's current offerings in 2.25" instruments but occasionally I see a used one for sale.

Personally, if I were building now and could possibly fit a 3.5" instrument, I would go with the Garmin G5 as F1R suggests.

Last edited:
+10 to the TruTrak. Speaking as one who has had his bacon saved by that instrument. :eek:

Hmm. That Kanardia is bookmarked for when i need a replacement.

Last edited:
My choice

I replaced my Trutrak ADI with the Kanardia in both of my RVs last fall and am very pleased with how they work.

+1 for Kanardia. I had an ADI for some years, understand how it works as it does lie to you under certain situations, you may be comfortable with that.
I like the Karardia much more, a more modern solution with no moving parts. An accurate OAT input is important to keep the gyros stabilised - OAT probe is supplied.
Pete

Back