What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

new tires & brake shoes

VETE76

Well Known Member
need to purchase new tires 5.00-5
tubes also.
and brake shoes.
best places to buy from?
also looking for the brake pad riveting tool?
RV7
ty
fred

I use Dresser retreads. Last a LOT longer than new tires.
I also sprung for AirStop tubes - and have not regretted it!

There is another thread about brake pads. I don't remember the results :eek:

If your local airport group (EAA??) doesn't have a brake pad tool to borrow, any of the regular hardware suppliers (ie Aircraft Spruce) have them - same tool no matter where you go :rolleyes:

I use Dresser retreads. Last a LOT longer than new tires.
I also sprung for AirStop tubes - and have not regretted it!

There is another thread about brake pads. I don't remember the results :eek:

If your local airport group (EAA??) doesn't have a brake pad tool to borrow, any of the regular hardware suppliers (ie Aircraft Spruce) have them - same tool no matter where you go :rolleyes:

my original tires came with the kit. got 285 hrs out of them. then i put Dresser retreads and they are split in the grove and almost bald after only 110 miles! i bought the Dresser retreads because they were recommended last time. maybe got a bad tire.

It's hard to compare relative longevity of tires between pilots. My flying is 90%+ cross-country and I purposely do not do any touch-and-go sessions. I keep track of landings, flight hours and calendar time. My usage pattern is surely different than yours. I flip the mains on their respective wheel and swap them side to side, as necessary, to even out wear. I usually change them out at 1/16"-1/8" tread depth as I don't want to run them until they're bald.

I've gotten at least 330 landings, 98% on pavement, per set. My oem Airhawks lasted 50% longer than the Desser Monster retreads, which showed the splitting between treads that was mentioned. I won't buy anymore retreads. I'm pleased with my current Goodyear Flight Special II tires which should outlast the Airhawks.

I found Desser Leakguard tubes needed air every month or so. One of them needed air every 2 weeks, which Desser did replace. My current Airstop tubes need air every 2-3 months. I air them up to 50 psi and don't let them get below 40 psi.

I had a flat main tire on a trip some years back because I had let them get down to 25 psi and sidewall flexing of the tube against the tire rubbed a hole in the tube. Maybe I didn't use enough talc. But, I haven't had a flat since I've aired the mains up to 50 psi. The nose tire gets checked before every trip and is aired up to 40 psi.

I purchased my current tires and tubes from Aircraft Spruce when they had a discount at OSH.

Last set of tires were NEW and came from Wilkerson Aircraft Tire. They had the best price.

20+ years ago, I purchased brake rivet dies to use in my hand rivet squeezer. After doing brake rivets with that setup, I do not want to set brake rivets any other way.

Thanks for that, Gents.
I did not know those squeezer sets existed. I see ATS and Geek carry them.

While I don't mind hammer setting with the common brake tool, my Tatco is pouting in the corner....

Back