What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Member / Ordered the RV8 Quick Build Kit

JMS1198

Hi Guys,
My name is Joe and I live on the east end of Long Island, Mattituck. I am retired military (10 years on active duty in the Army, retiring from the Air National Guard, 10 years ago). I started my military career as a Crew Chief and helicopter mechanic (3 years) and then attended Warrant Officer Candidate Flight School. I have flown Hueys, Chinooks and Blackhawks and I'm a low time fixed wing pilot. I am currently still flying E.M.S, Astars and EC-145's. I have never even seen an RV8 in person but have spent hundreds of hours researching them and decided on the RV8 QB kit. I will definitely have my work cut out for me because in the military there are sheet metal guys, spark chasers and hydraulics techs for the different aircraft. I am in the process of organizing my detached 2 car garage (climate controlled) and will be buying the tools shortly. I plan on getting the project kits and I ordered the 2 wiring books recommended on this site. I have a friend who is an outstanding AP mechanic and IA, he will be helping me along the way, with the guidance of this site. I am looking forward to this project, meeting people along the way and anticipate it to be a long haul.

Hi Joe!

I'm an old Navy N-model Huey crew chief. Flew in Huey's and -46s in the HC community for awhile. Got my PPL from the Navy flying club. Retired from the Navy in '99. Tried for LDO aviator. But, they required 20/20 uncorrected, and my vision had changed by then. I'm building an RV-8, slow-build.

Welcome to the club!

50394575883_e1388f73d1_z.jpg

49186142812_75052ce485.jpg

Last edited:
As a former Longislander myself, I know you have a pretty good group of RVs out there! Brookhaven, Lufker, Westhampton.. get out there and ask around! Richy, Dwight, Ben, Timmy, Skip.. you’ll find them! Richy and Skip both built Beautiful RV-6s, old school style (no QB and before matched hole)

Hi Joe!

I'm an old Navy N-model Huey crew chief. Flew in Huey's and -46s in the HC community for awhile. Got my PPL from the Navy flying club. Retired from the Navy in '99. Tried for LDO aviator. But, they required 20/20 uncorrected, and my vision had changed by then. I'm building an RV-8, slow-build.

Welcome to the club!

50394575883_e1388f73d1_z.jpg

49186142812_75052ce485.jpg

Ken, you are ahead of me in the build, but while you have access, have you considered the gear tower mod?

Welcome Aboard

Joe,
Welcome aboard. I'm out at HTO beginning my RV10 build. I flew my RV6 into the "new" Mattituck a while back. Good place to work out of when you get it built.
cheers,
Dave
PM sent

New Member Also

Just joined the "force" and EAA life member. Own a Columbia and decided to build and RV8 in Mard....too much time on my hands during Covid. Started June and just finishing the Left rudder awaiting the QB which was to be hear this month!! Doubt it. Home airport KCDW, building in my garage until a hanger becomes available. learned so much from the website already.

Back