What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slipping RV 4

Over the 450 hrs I had my 4, I slipped it in all configurations. Never had an issue. Lets you lose altitude in a hurry.

I'll second that.

Slips just fine.

Useful... with a fixed-pitch prop the plane is slippery. Provides a way to slow down/get down.

I'll second that.

Slips just fine.

Useful... with a fixed-pitch prop the plane is slippery. Provides a way to slow down/get down.

+1

The 6 is similar to the 4 and I slip all the time, usually in the pattern with flaps. Just know that slipping is not nearly as effective as it is in the spam cans.

Larry

Reference recent post on slipping

There is a recent discussion on slipping aggressively and identifying your aircrafts limits from safe altitude.

+1 for lr172 comment on spam cans. RV?s not as much.

+1

The 6 is similar to the 4 and I slip all the time, usually in the pattern with flaps. Just know that slipping is not nearly as effective as it is in the spam cans.

Larry

I thought my 6 slips very well. Do you take the controls to the stops for best results?

I thought my 6 slips very well. Do you take the controls to the stops for best results?

Rudder to the stop, but not the ailerons. I don’t mean to imply that they don’t slip well. Its just that the effect on speed and decent are not as pronounced as on other planes that present more surface area to the wind in a slip. The RV’s are much skinnier than most spam cans.

Larry

Last edited:
Slipping the RV4

I have slipped both the RV6A -- though rarely -- and on pretty well every landing in 250 hours flying a Starduster Bipe -- it drops like a rock but feels very much in control -- and without the slip you can't even see the airport LOL!

I recently got an RV4 (10 hours now) with an O360 and 3 blade Catto fixed pitch. As people have said, they are a slick little plane and I have had real trouble both slowing down in the pattern, and getting it to come down from pattern altitude - even at 60Kts on final -- and it is starting to feel pretty mushy at that speed.

So I decided to try slip practice at altitude - full rudder and full aileron -- with power off and no flaps I got marked buffeting at 65kts and a stall seemed imminent -- I got identical results at 70 and 80 kts. On power off stall practice it stalls cleanly at just over 40-45kts.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I slip my RV-12 with full flaps, full rudder, and enough aileron to track straight. I’m based at a private strip that has tall pine trees at the threshold (thanks to a lovely neighbor). Once I clear the trees, I do a full slip and hold it well into the flare. RV-12 loves to fly in ground effect. Release rudder to align just as the machine touches down. Works a charm every time…

My RV4 would get a little aileron buffet in a slip ....
My RV3B doesn't have that same characteristic.
YMMV....Mike

Did a rudder to stop & aileron to hold runway centreline into flare today with a right crosswind. It does come down without increase in airspeed but compared to my Champ - not as effective. The Champ feels like it going sideways with the side windows buffeting and comes down like a rock.

I fly a RV-4 and I often land without flaps (runways are long where I usually fly), and slipping helps me manage energy on final really well. I don't usually slip too much when I do use flaps, but it still works fine. I haven't noticed any bad habits with mine, flaps or not. I don't slow down below 65kts until I have the runway made and on short, short final. Too much sink and it gets me on the back side of the power curve and I don't like being there. Again, I'm not trying to break any records with short-field landings and I do float a bit before I settle it on. On shorter runways, a different technique would be warranted.

Back