What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using an IR camera?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
A year or two ago I read an interesting post about using the Dynon SkyView's new Video Input to project an infrared camera's view on the SkyView screen.

Does anyone have any experience or feedback about such a setup?
Just curious.

Just installed the Astronics Max-Viz. Only test flown it at night so far. Very good detail at about 3 miles. Best I could tell, it’s the same as the Cirrus option. Can run it full or split screen on the G3X from the video input.

7DD32025-DDF3-48A8-BAD7-2680C2262A34.jpg

Just installed the Astronics Max-Viz. Only test flown it at night so far. Very good detail at about 3 miles. Best I could tell, it’s the same as the Cirrus option. Can run it full or split screen on the G3X from the video input.

I've been considering the Max-Viz too - can you share details and/or pictures of your install? Where did you mount it?

Mounted the camera to the inboard inspection panel under the right wing. I will be making a small wedge of some sort as camera needs to be pointed down a few degrees as the bottom of the wing is in the FOV. Very simple install. Power, ground and the video cable to the back of the screen. On/off is accomplished through the VPX.

What model of the Max-Vis and what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd like to add near-IR capability; the backup camera I currently have is good for day-ops only.

I have the Max-Viz X1. Below is the email I received in April of this year. Didn’t purchase the harness.

Thank you for your interest in Max-Viz. Congratulations on completing your RV-10 this year.

Larry we have a couple product that would work well for your RV-10. One product is the Max-Viz X1. This camera has a 45 degree field of view and has image of 320x240 and looks good on a MFD.

Our other option is the X1+HR. HR means High Res. This camera offers 35 degree field of view and has a digital zoom. The image on the X1+HR is 640x480.

Typical install is under the wing as far inboard as possible.

We also offer have a 10 foot harness for installation.

Price for the X1 is $6,550/ Price for X1+HR $18,000/ Price for harness $695. I have attached product information sheets for your review.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Grant Sumpter
Manager Sales and Business Development

O 503 968 3036 M 208 866 2641
11241 SE Hwy 212 l Clackamas, Oregon 97015​

I’ve been flying with an IR camera pod supplied by GRT for goose to seven or eight years now, hung under the wing of the RV-8. GRT actually has software that puts the camera view in the background of the PFD, the same way that synthetic vision is scaled and so you can still see a horizon, altitude and airspeed tapes, etc.

It is fun to have, works well, but the truth is, IR doesn’t see through clouds, and you have to learn to interpret what dark and light mean on the screen - its not always obvious. It is useful at night on a moonless night to makes sure you don’t hit a horse or cow on landing, and can be used at night to find a place to go in an emergency in dark country. It’s also useful taxiing on a dark airport to make sure you don’t hit a coyote or jackrabbit - but you probably will be taxiing with landing lights to help prevent that.

I think the price points of current generation cameras are probably too high for the additional risk reduction the average pilot will get out of one - but then again, if you have money to spend and just want one, it doesn’t add much in the way of drag if the pod is properly designed.

Paul

It is useful at night on a moonless night to makes sure you don’t hit a horse or cow on landing, and can be used at night to find a place to go in an emergency in dark country. It’s also useful taxiing on a dark airport...

Lots of deer in our neck of the woods. All of Paul’s reasons above plus those really annoying small summer CBs with tops about 12K that you can’t see at night and don’t show up on ADSB but give you a good thump.

Last edited:
Back