What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shop height

I'm in the process of relocating, and I'm looking at a house that has garage that is large horizontally, but that has a height that I guestimate is not much taller than 7-8 feet. What's the shortest shop height that one can reasonably use to build and RV? Will this garage do? I'm specifically planning to build an RV-8. I would imagine I may not be able to lift the tail to a fuselage-level position. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Brad
still dreaming

My 7A project is on sawhorses, 22" above the garage floor (which is pretty high), the garage door -- when opened -- clips the VS by about an 1", and the garage door is about 7 3/4 feet off the floor. Not sure what the height difference would be once it's on the gear.

When the airplane is on the gear, you would not be able to lift the tail with the VS on it to get the aircraft horizontal. However, you can just move the tail outside the shop when you need to do this, or take off the VS. There are not that many times when you need to have the aircraft horizontal and must have the VS on.

Hey Brad!!!

When ya comin' up again? You gotta see Wicked Stick's -8 project in his basement with a 7' ceiling before he (we) lift it out and into the garage!

We can answer MANY of your questions then!

Besides, he is doing such SPECTACULAR work, it must be seen!

While eating ribs and drinking Captain Morgans, we can discuss T/W vs. N/D and QB vs. SB as well as engine stuff!

Keep in touch!

:D CJ

rv8ch said:
When the airplane is on the gear, you would not be able to lift the tail with the VS on it to get the aircraft horizontal. However, you can just move the tail outside the shop when you need to do this, or take off the VS. There are not that many times when you need to have the aircraft horizontal and must have the VS on.

Just a warning for anyone about to take their empannage off... be sure to have some heavy items around to weigh down the tail if your engine is installed. Depending on the size of your engine, the tail could come completely off the floor. Be careful!

Thanks everyone. I guess it's doable and that I'll just have to plan the tail-on sessions carefully.

John: I'll be up there at the end of July. It's not too far, so you should come over. I'll let you know when we're there.

Brad

Back