Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 PM

not the same comparison, maybe seatbelts

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 01-24-2020, 07:13 AM

Default BRS does save lives

This was all very interesting. I also don't believe you need a BRS in your RV unless you plan on some serious Acro or competition. That's where Safety chutes are fine.
However as a BRS save myself (Number 30). When it happens there's really no warning and the first word out of your mouth is "****"! Thank God I have a Chute ( my words) Or "****"! Wish I had a Chute.
Building another 7 !!! Finished SOLD
Started another 14A assist build, Done
Built: two 7s, two 8's, two 9As,10,12, assisted in 2 RV14As ,RANS S7
RV Jackpoints mfg'r "wintermotorsports.com"
When does a repeat offender stop????
Old 01-24-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
The cirrus was designed, and then they did spin testing and said, oh #!#@, the rudder is too small! They corrected this by adding a parachute

The marketing guys put their spin on it, and bam, a bug becomes a feature- the RV has sufficient rudder authority to recover from a spin, the parachute is overkill
I thought I heard someplace that Cirrus was required by the FAA to include a parachute because they originally weren't satisfied with the longevity of composite material airframes. The parachute was required to be included because the people certifying the airframe were worried about structural failure.

Then, like the car companies that turned the required airbags they originally resisted into a selling point, Cirrus did the same thing with the parachute.

It isn't a bug, it's a feature!
Fuselage joined to tailcone on July 19, 2020

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated through 12/31/2020, EAA and AOPA member

When it absolutely, positively doesn't matter when or if it ever gets there, ship with Old Dominion.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
...as a BRS save myself...
Would you care to share the scenario that required you to use your chute?

I don't see structural failure to be the predominate threat. My biggest concerns are engine failures at night, IFR, or over rough country.

The clouds beckon. I must go fly.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineYoda View Post
I thought I heard someplace that Cirrus was required by the FAA to include a parachute because they originally weren't satisfied with the longevity of composite material airframes. The parachute was required to be included because the people certifying the airframe were worried about structural failure.

Then, like the car companies that turned the required airbags they originally resisted into a selling point, Cirrus did the same thing with the parachute.

It isn't a bug, it's a feature!
No

The only change in the certification process was because of the chute.

From the start they designed the airplane to have the chute. BRS consulted in the airplanes design so that it would be optimized for the chute installation.

Because it had the chute, they did not have to demonstrate that it met the spin recovery requirements of FAR23.
Instead, the standard procedure documented in the POH for any departure from controlled flight, was to activate the CAPS.

Scott McDaniels
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-25-2020, 03:21 AM

Default BRS in an RV-8

Going back to the question about fitting a BRS to an RV, I was at a GAMA air safety investigator workshop in Wichita 2 years ago, and met the BRS rep. He showed me photos of an installation they were doing in an RV-8. It was mounted in the nose locker, down the right side, and the rocket punches out vertically through the nose locker door.
I cannot remember where it is being done, but Brazil rings a bell(?). It is a heavy install I recall him saying.
Queensland Australia
VAF Dues 2020 paid-worth every penny!!!
http://www.mykitlog.com/ch0pperch0ps
Old 01-25-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n700jl View Post
I posted this link and it was taken down for some reason. There is a lot to learn from this video. It is not graphic and does not need a warning. I have considered BRS for my aircraft. Thanks for reposting this.
I am not sure why my post on page 1 was also deleted .... BUT there are kits to install BRS on RV's..... google it or youtube it.... I won't post the link to the video again.... I don't think mentioning or posting violates any ruleswhat e, ver. May be VAF moderators don't like BRS or don't want to give any free Ad's... Personally I am NOT for BRS on my RV (but do have a personal sport backpack chute for aerobatics). I am OK Cirrus has a BRS... but would not buy or fly one because of that. Clearly BRS has saved a few lives...

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 01-25-2020 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:42 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

George, no one deleted your post, so stop jumping on the moderators - you posted it on the “other” thread that was on the forums yesterday:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=178913

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-25-2020, 01:13 PM

Glasair offers a BRS as an option on the Sportsman 2+2 - Two Weeks to Taxi or factory installs only, no homebuilder installs. Cost is about $35K and 60lbs lost useful load plus a fairly substantial aft shift in empty C of G. The BRS also kills the option to fold the wings.

The BRS sits in the composite tail section just aft of the aft baggage bulkhead with its risers mouled to the top of the fuselage under thin composite covers. The risers attach to the 4130 chromoly steel "cage" of the fuselage.

I applaud Glasair for offering this option, and for offering it only with factory installation as messing with the deployment rocket is not something the average Joe should think about trying.

Given the relative STOL nature of the Sportsman I'm not sure the 'chute is an option I'd tick on the order sheet. The Sportsman clearly isn't rated for any aerobatics and neither am I, and for good reason. I'm just the kind of ham-fisted idiot that would muff up a maneuver and need a parachute! LoL
Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
George, no one deleted your post, so stop jumping on the moderators - you posted it on the ?other? thread that was on the forums yesterday:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=178913

Paul
Sorry. Never mind.

2020 Dues Paid