What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Salt Lake-Flagstaff route suggestions

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Anyone have any suggestions for VFR routing from the Salt Lake area to Flagstaff, AZ? There doesn’t seem to be any one obvious choice given some seemingly imposing terrain between the two. In addition, anything in particular to watch out for, other than the normal density altitude, mountains, and Grand Canyon corridors? Would be between now and late September.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Pretty much a direct line from SLC to the north starting point of the Zuni corridor over the grand canyon. Then fly to. The south point of the Zuni corridor then direct to flag. The north south valley curves a little so you have to adjust slightly from a direct line. Cross the Grand Canyon at 10500 or 12500 southbound.

If you want to stay east of much of the terrain, including the Grand Canyon, you may consider flying southeast over/through the Spanish Fork canyon area then turning immediate southward and continuing over Manti. At Salina-Gunnison (44U), follow I-70 Eastward through some high terrain, then turn south toward Page and then Tuba City then on to Flagstaff. I have flown a similar route several times in my Cherokee 180C from KTYL to SPK (Spanish Fork). I just make sure I'm sufficiently high before I fly through the Spanish Fork canyon. This may not be the most direct route for you, but it's an option. I used to fly over Bryce Canyon then follow most of highway 89, but the above route is a bit more direct for me from KTYL.

you may consider flying southeast over/through the Spanish Fork canyon area then turning immediate southward and continuing over Manti. At Salina-Gunnison (44U), follow I-70 Eastward through some high terrain, then turn south toward Page and then Tuba City then on to Flagstaff.

I flew this route it's a pretty ride. I was headed to Winslow AZ.

If you want to stay east of much of the terrain, including the Grand Canyon, you may consider flying southeast over/through the Spanish Fork canyon area then turning immediate southward and continuing over Manti. At Salina-Gunnison (44U), follow I-70 Eastward through some high terrain, then turn south toward Page and then Tuba City then on to Flagstaff. I have flown a similar route several times in my Cherokee 180C from KTYL to SPK (Spanish Fork). I just make sure I'm sufficiently high before I fly through the Spanish Fork canyon. This may not be the most direct route for you, but it's an option. I used to fly over Bryce Canyon then follow most of highway 89, but the above route is a bit more direct for me from KTYL.

As long as the weather is good, take O2 and fly direct! Or South to SGU, Through one of of the corridors over Grand Canyon, and then Direct.
Or South to Richfield, over Bryce to Page, and then direct to FLAG.
Or East to Price then down Capital Reef to Monument Valley and then South west to Flag.
They are all nice and very doable in an RV.

From a first time newbie

Depending on where you are flying out of by SLC, you may or may not care to come down alongside SLC going south to Utah lake, east of Eagle mountain and west of Provo. (SLC controllers were great, and you will talk with several) Work your way west and down by Delta, then south to Cedar City (which makes a midway stop if taking in easy steps), on to Saint George. We flew Tuckup corridor but you could pick any. If tuckup then you could head to area of Clark Memorial KCMR and follow I-40 to Flagstaff.

I also got a recommendation for flying around to east of SLC with I 80/84 and down to Heber City,...and I think west by Orem, just north of Provo

We flew opposite direction this summer. Early morning flight with no problems.

FBO at Flagstaff will tie you down with big ratchet straps. (I don?t think they read the recommended working load for those,... I prefer something with a bit more strength,.... but at least they can get them snug)

Depending on where you are flying out of by SLC, you may or may not care to come down alongside SLC going south to Utah lake, east of Eagle mountain and west of Provo. (SLC controllers were great, and you will talk with several) Work your way west and down by Delta, then south to Cedar City (which makes a midway stop if taking in easy steps), on to Saint George. We flew Tuckup corridor but you could pick any. If tuckup then you could head to area of Clark Memorial KCMR and follow I-40 to Flagstaff.

I also got a recommendation for flying around to east of SLC with I 80/84 and down to Heber City,...and I think west by Orem, just north of Provo

We flew opposite direction this summer. Early morning flight with no problems.

FBO at Flagstaff will tie you down with big ratchet straps. (I don?t think they read the recommended working load for those,... I prefer something with a bit more strength,.... but at least they can get them snug)
Thanks Wallace. What altitudes did SLCenter typically have you flying?

SLC altitudes

Steve,

We were flying in from the south, and going into skypark KBTF..and were not cleared into Class B until at or past ?point of the mountain?, VPPTM, so we were under their airspace until then. (3rd controller ?) I think altitude assignments for VFR transition are based on how much other traffic and which direction they are going,...we had several going opposite direction, but they were called and identified, so no problem. Chart shows them using 6,000 to 7,500 ft for transition.

Back