- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 09:32 AM

Default ELT Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo69bird View Post
Totally understand that but there’s been a lot of talk of plbs being substituted and the subsequent interpretation of that rule (by many) allowing plb to be used. Some say yes some say no. The reason many say no to PLB use under the rule is because it doesn’t self trigger in a crash. An Apple Watch will self trigger in a crash. So could it get certified as a
ELT ? Should it be certified as a ELT? It’s a question and it’s a topic for discussion as to wether options like this SHOULD be available.
An Apple Watch only communicates via Cellular and WiFi. This does not meet the requirements for an ELT to broadcast on the 121.5 or 406 MHz SAR frequencies.

Note that per FAR 14 CFR 91.207, "approved" ELT's are required by all U.S. Civil Registered Airplanes with more than 1 seat. Approved means manufactured to TSO-C91A requirements.

AOPA's ELT discussion: https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/aircra...r-transmitters

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 01-21-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:49 AM

Default Definition of 2 or more seats ?

RV6 flyer offered that a ? g switch activated ELT? is required for 2 or more seats. Can any of you DAR/FAA folks tell me if a tandem aircraft (-4, Rocket,-8) with ONLY a PILOT SEAT avoid this requirement. Ie, what is the definition of a seat ?
Clinton, IN
Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
RV6 flyer offered that a ? g switch activated ELT? is required for 2 or more seats. Can any of you DAR/FAA folks tell me if a tandem aircraft (-4, Rocket,-8) with ONLY a PILOT SEAT avoid this requirement. Ie, what is the definition of a seat ?
I believe the standard way of removing a seat is to remove the seat belt. No seat belt, no seat, in the eyes of the FAA. I suppose you could also placard it, ?no passengers?.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Default Thanks BOB

Great news! I will install an ELT after Phase 1 if PAX line up for rides. I fly alone and will have a 200 lb capacity baggage area behind my seat LOL .
Clinton, IN
Old 05-06-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry DeCamp View Post
Great news! I will install an ELT after Phase 1 if PAX line up for rides. I fly alone and will have a 200 lb capacity baggage area behind my seat LOL .
I like the way you think. However, if you certify your plane as a single seater, I am curious what you have to do later on to add the second seat with both the FAA and your insurance company.

When I was flying my -9 as a three seater (very young son in the baggage compartment) my insurance company would not have covered him in the event of an accident because they were only covering a two seat airplane, not a three seater.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-06-2020, 07:37 PM

I have an ACK 406. About two week ago my wife was cleaning the cockpit and pushed the on button while cleaning the panel buttons. We were in the hanger.
In less than 15 minutes she got a call from a Lt. Col. from the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, she handed me the phone and I explained to situation the situation. My phone was in my truck with a message to call him back. She was my emergency contact. He said that they saw the location of the signal was in a hanger area. I thanked them for the attention. I was impressed!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtail View Post
I have an ACK 406. About two week ago...
Mind telling us where your ELT antenna is mounted?
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2019 Dues Paid