Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2019, 12:48 PM

The canopy breaking tool isn't something you likely want in your vest pocket but rather something you want accessible to you while you are upside down dangling from your harness.

Automotive windshield breakers are NOT an ideal tool. Glass is very different from the plastic in aircraft canopies. You want something blunt and heavy to break the plastic (generally speaking).

Do a search on this site. I recall somebody took a non-airworthy canopy and tested canopy breakers on it. Worth a good read.

Remember, you have to be able to reach your canopy breaker while suspended upside down. That means it has to be mounted higher in the cockpit since your arms won't be long enough to reach something that's mounted lower in the cockpit.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroflyrgirl View Post
I didn't see mention of specific canopy break tools. What is a compact option that can fit into a vest pocket?
The Flight Outfitters Pilot Survival Knife (I got mine at Sporty's for around 30 USD) has a window breaking point at one end, a built-in seat belt cutter, a 4 inch blade, a fire starting striking tool, and a small flashlight (that tends to fall out and roll under the seat). Many of the things covered in the lists above are in this single item that fits in a jacket pocket or pants pocket.

I never fly without mine in one pocket and a PLB in another.
Fuselage joined to tailcone on July 19, 2020

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated through 12/31/2020, EAA and AOPA member

When it absolutely, positively doesn't matter when or if it ever gets there, ship with Old Dominion.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:37 PM

Default Good CO Detection

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...ccident-photos

You need to watch the Dan Bass video of have not. He presented at our EAA Chapter meeting and at Oshkosh.

1. Good quality CO monitor
2. Survival vest. If you have broken bones and everything is scattered the vest may save your life.