What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Saf-Air M12175

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Aircraft Spruce doesn't feel it needs to correct it's description for the Saf-Air M12175 quick drain. Their description says it will fit the Rotax 912 engine when in fact it doesn't work on the late models due to a baffle change from the Rotax factory. It fits but you only find out the baffle prevents the drain from opening later when you try to drain the oil.
They revert to "It's up to the customer to ensure it is suitable for your application" for customer satisfaction.
I purchased two for my Aircam and there is insufficient space for the spacer they would be glad to sell you to make it work. They do list the spacer so they are aware that the condition exist. I only asked that they correct their suitability list to which no change has been made so be aware of this if you have a late model and wish to purchase this quick drain.

Aircraft Spruce doesn't feel it needs to correct its description for the Saf-Air M12175 quick drain. Their description says it will fit the Rotax 912 engine when in fact it doesn't work on the late models due to a baffle change from the Rotax factory. It fits but you only find out the baffle prevents the drain from opening later when you try to drain the oil.
They revert to "It's up to the customer to ensure it is suitable for your application" for customer satisfaction.
I purchased two for my Aircam and there is insufficient space for the spacer they would be glad to sell you to make it work. They do list the spacer so they are aware that the condition exist. I only asked that they correct their suitability list to which no change has been made so be aware of this if you have a late model and wish to purchase this quick drain.

Can you show a picture of how this part doesn't work? I'm not picturing the baffle you are describing. Do you know what constitutes "late model"? This part is actually in my Wish-List for the upcoming condition inspection this winter, so I'm very glad you brought the issue up for our attention.

thanks,
-dbh

Can you show a picture of how this part doesn't work? I'm not picturing the baffle you are describing. Do you know what constitutes "late model"? This part is actually in my Wish-List for the upcoming condition inspection this winter, so I'm very glad you brought the issue up for our attention.

thanks,
-dbh

If you go on McFarlane's site and look up RM12175 the description for the adaptor is there, " must be used on new oil tanks as they have changed the internal design on the tank requiring an adaptor to use an oil drain valve".
It doesn't say when Rotax made the change. Perhaps Lockwood could answer that.
Glad I could save another individual from perhaps making the same mistake I have. In your case if you had purchased the valve and then discovered it would not work , you could then purchase the adaptor. In my case there is structure under the valve that I cannot make a hole to accommodate the extra length for the adaptor.

Last edited:
Back