What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedals and seats

dbrodymd

Hello all: I'm looking into purchasing a 12 and wonder if during construction there would have been the option to have the rudder pedals in different locations -- forward, middle or aft -- as in other RV models. And if so can this be changed after the build (if the builder happened not to have placed them where I might like).

Also, I am assuming there are several positions (fore and aft) for the seat. Is there any structural reason one could not add an additional row of hinges further aft from standard location?

The idea here is to add a little extra legroom.

Thanks, David Brody

The pedals are already as far fwd. as is possible. You could add another hinge for the seat back but it would cause a very vertical (Uncomfortable) angle.
The better option would be a reduced thickness seat back cushion. Since you are just leaning against it and not sitting on it, it doesn’t have to be thick to be comfortable.

Thanks for the info. I hear you about the seat back, but it seems one could then revise the member supporting the top of the seat back a la the "almost a 14" mod and maintain a proper recline angle, yes?

That rectangle formed by the spar/landing gear fixture, side pieces and seat back support is the backbone of the airplane. I for one would not mess with that whole assembly without a design approved by Vans.

Back