What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting vs powder coating panel

N777ZE

Just had a new panel cut by up north aviation. They did an awesome for a great price. Wondering if I should air spray paint the panel or have it powder coated. I know powder coating is more durable but what's everyone else done.

I painted and am glad I did. If you ever change up anything in the future with paint it's easy as pie to touch up. Seems with a coated panel it would be a bit more of an issue. I don't have one so I'm speculating there. I've seen all types and they're all beautiful. Either way you'll love yours because.... IT'S YOURS! :)

Thoughts: Make it what you want and spare nothing here. It's the part you'll look at and interact with the entire life of your plane. Ground pounders and pilots alike look at the plane but all work their way to the cockpit area and end up soaking their eyeballs full of that panel!!! You'll LOVE your panel. Heck, I remember my first rivet on the center bearing bracket in the tail.... I was one proud dude looking at that rivet. I even gathered my family up and pointed it out to them saying things like "LOOK at that rivet. It's perfect in every way and should probably be documented, photographed and placed in a how to sheet metal textbook." Yep, you'll love your panel.

Last edited:
I also used Up North Aviation, Bill did a great job cutting my panel and I love the layout! I had mine powder coated locally and sent it to stein air for switch and warning light layout and also laser engraving and painted backfill.

I haven't received it back yet, but I'll certainly post pictures when I finally do!

So you didn't ask, but I really like my leather covered panel, matching the inserts in my leather seats. No glare, will never chip or peal, color coordinated, and it lowers the noise level by 0.0002 db (estimated!)

Bob

Durability

IMO you powder coat for durability. The instrument panel does not get much wear. I rattle can painted my panel, and it still looks perfect. Plus, it can be touched up easily if a defect becomes a problem

Leather Panel = Bob

I'm interested in maybe covering my panel with leather. Please advise as to methods that you used. Thinking that you had a three piece panel, how did you hide the edges and what did you use to hold the leather on the panel. Glue, etc? I'm very interested. Thanks in advance.

Paint, then multiple matte clear coats over decal labels, a method Stein suggested. Shoot base, add labels, shoot four coats of clear. Block sand with 600~800 wet to level the surface over the labels, then shoot more clear. All the lettering is imbedded in the surface of a smooth panel.

PPG DCU clear is very tough.

Paint, then multiple matte clear coats over decal labels, a method Stein suggested. Shoot base, add labels, shoot four coats of clear. Block sand with 600~800 wet to level the surface over the labels, then shoot more clear. All the lettering is imbedded in the surface of a smooth panel.

Exactly what I did. Looks like it was done in a production run of thousands for some major consumer electronics.

What brand rattle can clear coat has worked well? The Rust Oleum product reviews at Home Depot are terrible for the matte finish clear coats.

What surface prep on the bare metal do you have to to in order to paint it?

Then, what prime?

Thanks

I just finished painting my new panel with Rustoleum and used their matt clear coat - multiple coats. Still waiting to install but it's looking just fine right now. I may actually use the Eastwood clear as that looks pretty durable with the two part.

Last edited:
I've been quite happy with my painter laying on a nice 2 part epoxy flat finish then installing placards from Aircraft Engravers.
This method also makes future changes or additions much easier.

Last edited:
I used grey epoxy primer as my interior paint and used the same for the panel. I sanded the panel and sprayed two coats of the primer. Wet sanded, then put on waterslide decals ($7 for 5 sheets that use a laser printer). Then four coats of clear with a matte additive. Then cut and buff.

More coats after wet sanding would have better levelled out the clear over the labels, but you can't see the imperfections once installed in the plane.

Looks great and very durable.

Larry

Back