What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing my Halogen Bulbs

philsurette

I'm New Here
I am looking at replacing my old, hot halogen lights in my RV7 to an LED, but everything I look at is low in the Lumens or a wide bean angle. Does anyone have a website that I could find a narrower beam in an MR16? Also, after I install the LED's, can I mount them closer to, or flush against, the front of the light plate on the wing tip since the heat will be significantly less? I would appreciate any guidance.

Yes, a lot more than the cost & effort to replace a bulb, but--
Check out
https://www.bajadesigns.com/Products/led-auxilary-lights.asp
Squadron Pro would be my choice.
Huge improvement in the old single halogen bulb approach. You will have to do some adaptation to the mounting bracket, many posts on the forum discussing this.
A cautionary about narrow beam lamps though, good for lighting up the runway from 1/4 mile, but picture going down a taxi way, it's pitch black night and you can't see where to turn off into your hangar bay because the beam is so narrow. Been there, done that too many times..

Last edited:
I mounted 1 of the Flyled triple spot light units in each wing leading edge, replacing the original duck works Halogens.
They are a simple direct replacement and I couldn’t be more happy with the performance.

I just upgraded to the dual spotlights from FlyLEDs this week. They were easy to assemble, and they fit right where the duck works reflector and halogen bulb assembly used to be. No modifications or special tools were needed- just a screwdriver. They are very bright!
I also ordered the halogen panel adapter plates - without these you'd have to make your own plate to mount them on. In my opinion, the mounting plates were well worth the extra $20.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Double-Spotlight/p/151025026/category=0

I ordered them on the 21st, and they arrived via DHL on the 28th - not bad for shipping from Australia!

Back