What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kitplanes Review the RV-14A

Accessory Case

Can someone please explain what they are removing from the accessory case to be able to mount a "blank" back there?

Does Vans and Lycoming support a full electronic ignition with no engine driven components? No P-Mag? Fuel pump? Oil pump gears?

I keep hearing this in the videos, maybe I'm missing someting.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain what they are removing from the accessory case to be able to mount a "blank" back there?

Does Vans and Lycoming support a full electronic ignition with no engine driven components? No P-Mag? Fuel pump? Oil pump gears?

I keep hearing this in the videos, maybe I'm missing something.

In years past, most airplanes had vacuum gyros. Typically the source of vacuum has been an engine driven vacuum pump.

With the new glass panels, the vacuum system and therefore the vacuum pump mounted on the engine is no longer needed. There are some people like me that liked the place that the vacuum pump use to be to use as the only primary alternator location.

Many installations now will have a BLANK plate where the vacuum pump was mounted to the engine accessory case.

In years past, most airplanes had vacuum gyros. Typically the source of vacuum has been an engine driven vacuum pump.

With the new glass panels, the vacuum system and therefore the vacuum pump mounted on the engine is no longer needed. There are some people like me that liked the place that the vacuum pump use to be to use as the only primary alternator location.

Many installations now will have a BLANK plate where the vacuum pump was mounted to the engine accessory case.

And the new IO-390EXP119 engine doesn't even have the mounting pad cast into the accessory case, so there is no need for a block off plate.
Lycoming is working on having it available as an option for those that want it to drive an alternator.

The updated accessory cover largely mimics the standard one that everyone is familiar with on other lycoming engines except that it doesn't have the pad for mounting a vacuum pump and it is made of a different material.
Mechanically, everything else within the accessory section is pretty much the same so it still supports the installation of 2 standard magnetos (or other ign. components that would mount in their place) and a mechanical fuel pump.

Understood

Ah, ok I understand now about the accessory case. I guess I haven't owned a plane with a vacuum pump so I didn't realize the savings opportunity being lauded by the adverstisement.

Would definitely consider a back up alternator for a plane that is all electric.

Thank you.

Back