What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

help needed with skybolt tool

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All, ten years ago i installed the skybolt fastener kit on my 7's cowling but never did the in-depth adjustment. when it came to first flight i found that the tool that came with the kit was lost somewhere in the chaos of past decade. the retainers were sitting very loose and to get the the fasteners somewhat to work i used several layers of gorilla tape as shims between the receptacle and the cowling. interim solution is very ugly and will not last forever, the tape peels off already.

my skybolt receptacles are an old style and look like the pictures below. Attached is also a picture of the adjustement tool that is not available from skybolt anymore. skybolt just tells me that i have to replace the entire line with a newer fastener kit, which i will not do.

skybolt says that the tool is made for attaching the retainer rings and to make the in-depth adjustment of the receptacles. does somebody have more detailed pictures of the tool? so that i could fabricate the tool...?

any help is very appreciated. otherweise i will change the cowling attachement to Vans hinge style.

Best Regards from Germany
Kay

Attachments

• skybolt1.jpg
    skybolt1.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 140
  • skybolt3.jpg
    skybolt3.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 145
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 159
Having installed several sets of the sky bolt fasteners before this style and after this style. IIRC correctly one set around the ten year period ago we installed a set that looks like yours in adjustment detail, they were not workable and sky bolt replaced them with the current style stating that they were not working out as expected. They looked the same except for the adjustment procedure and were discontinued shortly there after. If these are that type I would ask them to verify and try to get the standard type that does not require a tool for adjustment. That was my experience as I remember it anyway.

Larry: you wanna tell me that when i have the tool the receptacle is still not adjustable because the design does not work? Great news.

Those look like mine, and I just push a pointy tool like an awl in there where the very small hole is and it releases a retaining clip so you can screw the receptacle in or out a half turn at at time. I think the tools you show on the right are for putting the retaining clip on the part that goes on the cowl. I didn't do that, as I want those parts to come off like a screw does, to reduce the risk of scratching my paint when I install or remove the cowl. Hope this is clear, if not, happy to describe further.

skybolt - 20201024.png

Last edited:
Mickey: that should work, I will try with that awl. Thanks!

I was also sure that the pupose of the tool shown in my first post was only to attach the rings but skybolt stated it's also for adjustment.

Mickey: that should work, I will try with that awl. Thanks!

I was also sure that the pupose of the tool shown in my first post was only to attach the rings but skybolt stated it's also for adjustment.
They make a lot of models - mine does not have the dot that yours has. I hope putting something pointy in that little hole makes it work for you. Check the other side too.

Kay If your skybolts are like mine, they are a similar age, then Mickey is correct. There is a little spring like catch that stops them rotating and is usually activated after the depth has been set. Release the catch and you can screw them in to adjust the depth as needed. Good luck with it.

Peter

The style I referred to are not the ones that has the spring which locks the adjustment, they of course are just fine. About ten years ago they changed to a new design and back again because of complaints, to the lock spring current type. That was what I was referring to. I can tell you that someone (my friend) was not happy removing the receptacles that we had just installed. I was just giving info in case these were what Kay has to work with. Hopefully He has the good ones. :)

Back