What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Southeast U.S. destinations

werxcv01

Well Known Member
Looking for fun destinations in the Southeastern U.S. suitable for a weekend flying trip. I have my camping gear for AirVenture ready, so airports that allow camping would work, or airports close to hotels or resorts. Prefer Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, or the Florida Panhandle. I know about Petit Jean in Arkansas and it is on my list, and am also familiar with Jack Edwards (KJKA) in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Check out blackwater airfield in the FL panhandle. Forest service strip with camping and hiking on site. Haven't been but its on my bucket list.

Chris

Asheville

Asheville has lots of camping in the area, as well as upscale resorts like the Grove Park Inn if that's your pleasure.

I had heard of that airstrip but had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll check it out.

I’ll have to check out the Asheville area for a longer trip. I’ve been to Biltmore and the Grove Park Inn on a corporate trip and enjoyed both. My -8 was built by a man in the Autryville area so perhaps I could look him up.

Travis McGee's still in Cedar Key
That's what ol' John MacDonald said

(opening line from Jimmy Buffett’s Incommunicado)

I’ve made a couple of stops at Cedar Key to and from Sun-N-Fun and really enjoyed it. Once there was a festival going on and all the clubs and churches were selling fresh cooked seafood at booths on the main street. Never had the opportunity to spend the night on the Key though. I also managed to get the 182 stuck in the sand at the airport. Luckily, with my partner and a couple of guys from the airport we were able to get it back onto the pavement.

I haven’t been, yet, but I understand Cedar Key is worth the trip.

Flew in for lunch back in March. Nice little strip that sticks out into the gulf. A friendly lady in a van monitors CTAF and will pick you up and drive you to the little town for lunch (i think for a small fee).

Flew in for lunch back in March. Nice little strip that sticks out into the gulf. A friendly lady in a van monitors CTAF and will pick you up and drive you to the little town for lunch (i think for a small fee).

KCDK is closed for two months for runway resurfacing - be sure to check NOTAMS before planning a trip there.

Chris

Tent camping in the SE in summer is miserable. I would suggest waiting or going in another direction!

With two sons who both became Eagle Scouts I have camped in heat, snow, and thunderstorms, but now that I am older, I think I’ll plan my Southern camping trip when it cools off in the fall.

South east camping

The heat is the least of my worries camping in summer in south. The real enemy are those darn knats which nothing kills and of course the mosquitoes. The mosquitoes don’t like repellant but the knats welcome repellant. I don’t se how people tolerate those little buggers.

Savannah

Wife and I flew into KLHW (Fort Stewart/Mid Coast Regional) rented a car and drove up to Savannah for a few days; had a great time.

She doesn't camp and I've had all I wanted so we stayed in hotels downtown...

Lots of cool old houses to see and things to do along the river.

Gotta eat at Mrs Wilkes dining room...

The folks at LHW were great with courtesy car to get the rental and a huge hangar to stash the RV in.

Rob

Back