What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6A as a rental aircraft, would you do this?

MartinACFactory

Well Known Member
Hello Fellow RV'ers !

Just a general question here...

A friend of mine has a GA certified aircraft and puts it on the market as rental airplane, selling block of hours. He has had success lately, with an increasing number of customers.

He would like add another aircraft to his rental fleet. Appart from the "mission" and performance that are somewhat different, he is considering either a Cessna 172 or a RV-6A.

Question is: Would you sell block of hours on your RV, or have you done it? Typically, what are the insurance requesting for selling block of hours on a RV ? Do you think there is too much liability involved in leasing a RV, or any homebuild aircraft ?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

US FAA regs aside, I wouldn't rent an RV-6, 7, 8, or 9 A out to the general pilot population because the nose gear is just too fragile.

I've just seen too many rental Cessnas with damaged firewalls from nose wheel first landings.

Well, here in the US this is against the EAB rules - an EAB cannot be used for compensation or hire.
I believe the same is true in Canada. You may be able to get away with an AirShare type arrangement, where a group of pilots own a number of airplanes. As owners, you're flying your own planes, not renting them.

One of our flying clubs on the field owns an RV-9 and it is very popular.
Not sure what the ownership agreement looks like but I believe it is one of those clubs that you have to buy a share of ownership in order to join.

Insurance
You could never find an insurance co. to cover it
They most certainly have insurance on all of their planes.

Well, here in the US this is against the EAB rules - an EAB cannot be used for compensation or hire.

That is my understanding but I think the part ownership set up of the club takes care of the legalities. This club is a shared expense operation and not a for profit business as you suggest your friend is planning to do.

Back