What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Spreading longerons

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
The RV12 longerons need spreading slightly, then twisting.

Instructions basically say beat it to death with a hammer......

Mmm

We looked at a more controlled method which worked really well. Get a piece of thick wall tube around 3" long, 1" diameter and put it on the inside of the angle, put a soft jaw or piece of angle in the big vice and squeeze the tube onto the angle. Start at the end and work towards the finish of the spread length but don't put too much squeeze on. Then work back towards the end, overlapping where you squeezed before.

Perfect and very controlled.

Virtually no marking from the tube, light Scotch removed.

Last edited:
Question: Did the longeron twist in any way? I have always used the available dies for this, and have never had any twist and find them very controlled.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I am referring to the spread at the end, not the bend down the length.

I used the dies mentioned elsewhere for the long bend and they were superb. Got within a 1/16th easily.

Very easy to use and satisfactory.

The other thing I did was on the spread, use wide jaws flanging pliers to twist the longeron back so it is flush on the top edge. More controlled than a metric crescent wrench.....

How many got Van's irony there - eh ?

The other thing I did was on the spread, use wide jaws flanging pliers to twist the longeron back so it is flush on the top edge. More controlled than a metric crescent wrench.....

How many got Van's irony there - eh ?
What do you mean? I have four Crescent wrenches. One each left and right handed in SAE and metric. You have to have the proper tool for the job, right? I mean, imagine the chaos that would ensue if you tried using a left-handed SAE wrench for a right-handed metric job.

Problem is I can never remember which one is which.

Back