What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vividia va-400 borescope problem

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
I just got my new vividia va-400 borescope and unfortunately it got damaged in shipment. Does anyone know if these can be fixed? Trying to avoid mailing it back to the US if I can avoid it.

IMG_2399.jpg
IMG_8467.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_6875.jpg
IMG_9006.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the photos but is it just the protective sleeve that is damaged or does it not articulate properly?
If it is just the protective sleeve you should have received some spares in the box and directions on how to change them out.
See the instructions.

The sleeve is replaceable, but that item looks used to me. Was it to be new?

I don't like the S bend in the last pic. It only bends one way.

The first time you push to bend, the lock engages, so read BEFORE pushing to bend so you know the unlock/hold

Last edited:
And when you're out of new sleeve material, it is pretty much just a cut party balloon.

no workie

It's difficult to tell from the photos but is it just the protective sleeve that is damaged or does it not articulate properly?
If it is just the protective sleeve you should have received some spares in the box and directions on how to change them out.
See the instructions.
Unfortunately it does not articulate right - it does move, will probably be "barely usable", but definitely broken. Just didn't want to start ripping it apart before I checked with the brain trust to see if anyone else has already experienced this.

Seems like it took a heavy hit forcing the borescope down on the camera end, damaging the articulation part - possibly breaking a "tendon". Also, not clear why the rubber part looks a bit cooked - perhaps it is in fact used, or perhaps it rubbed back and forth on the styrofoam - not sure.

I have not yet plugged it into anything to see if the camera even works. Mails into the ebay company I bought it from and Oasis Scientific.

When working properly the camera end can turn around to look nearly 180 degrees from its at rest position.

If it cant do that it will be useless for inspecting valves in cylinders.

quick followup

I contacted both Vividia and the ebay seller, and was contacted by both that said they would be happy to send me the either the parts to fix it or send me a new one. I'll update once completed. Seems like pretty good support from these guys so far.

Bad news, I'm afraid. I damaged mine and the dude at Vividia said "non-repairable". Much more careful with the new one. Dan from Reno

My Vividia VA-400 borescope arrived brand-new through Aircraft Spruce. After 1 week and 40 pictures the clarity decrease dramatically. It was warrantied with a brand new scope. Glad I did.

DHL tracking number received

I have a tracking DHL number from HK to CH for a new unit.

Bad news, I'm afraid. I damaged mine and the dude at Vividia said "non-repairable". Much more careful with the new one. Dan from Reno

By any chance did you use it when the engine was warm? I can see heat possibly damaging the lens.

I ordered a similar model and during the first time to use it, the “tendon” came through the covering and it would not articulate. I had ordered from Amazon so returned it and had a replacement in a couple of days. I was able to take photos of the valves on my RV-8 engine, but I got it out a few days ago to check a carb heat lever/cowl interference issue and noticed the cover looks like it is starting to deteriorate. It is kept in an uninsulated hangar in Mississippi so the heat seems to be affecting it.

unscrupulous users?

.....this seems all to common.
My first one from the east was damaged in transit, it looked like the cardboard box was smunched by DHL, then taped up...with their tape!

The cam still worked ok, but wouldn't articulate smoothly.
Oasis told me to return it to California for replacement. when I responded that is would be $40 to ship there, they just sent me a new one!
Yours has a nice case...unlikely damaged in there!

looks to me like someone bought it, jammed it into a hot cylinder or something, then either returned it, or equally likely, found they couldn't get an image on their laptop or tablet/phone, so gave up, and sent it back.
Sadly a lot of things don't get inspected upon return.

final note: I found the rigid shaft a problem to navigate into cylinders AND plumbing/heating ducts etc. that I've wanted to inspect. If buying again, I'd be tempted to get the flexible shaft one.( $$$)

Final update

I received a brand new borescope shipped from HKG and it works fine. I still have the original broken unit that I'll probably see if I can fix when I get some down time.

Back