What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transition Training

Cleco 97

I realize that this question has been asked before and Ive searched the forums for answers, but wondering if anyone knows of individuals that are doing transition training near or around the uppermidwest (ie Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa). I have reached out to several people, but Iam not getting a response back from them. My airworthiness inspection on my -7 is this week and really want the training, as I can finally start to see the end in sight. I would need a side by side tailwheel RV aircraft so that limits me to the -6, -7, -9, and -14. I have not yet tried to seek the services of those that live on the coasts or further distances, as I was hoping to avoid flying commercially there. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw Berge listed, but figured he only did tricycle gear as that is what is posted on his website, but I guess I could call and find out for certain. Alex D looks like a good option too, but quite a bit further than I really wanted to go, but it may end up going that way. I am hoping to hear back from a couple of others that I had reached out to, and then make a decision from there. Thanks for helping me!

Thanks for the suggestions. I saw Berge listed, but figured he only did tricycle gear as that is what is posted on his website, but I guess I could call and find out for certain. Alex D looks like a good option too, but quite a bit further than I really wanted to go, but it may end up going that way. I am hoping to hear back from a couple of others that I had reached out to, and then make a decision from there. Thanks for helping me!

Do you need a t/w endorsement? If not, I can't imagine that the insurance providers would not accept a sign off in an A model if you meet their t/w time requirements. Maybe the worsening insurance market has changed that. If you need the endorsement or additional t/w time, you can get that separately and should be able to find locally.

Larry

I already have the TW endorsement and was told about 6 months ago when I renewed my policy that I would need 5hrs of dual in a similar aircraft, meaning -6, -7, -9, or -14. They said no to any of the tandem configurations.
Fortunately the great brain trust on this website has helped me out again, and I have found a gentlemen with thousands of hours that is only about 70 miles away that will help me transition. Although I thought I really wanted to do the first flight myself, I re-thought and decided that it may be better to have a much more experienced person go with me and take over should something happen. I have enough time into this project that I have come to the conclusion that it just isn’t worth it for me to risk breaking something. Hopefully Ill get the training and a fresh flight review at the same time and feel confident to handle it on my own. Im very excited to fly it, but also very anxious and don’t want to do something stupid or forget something with all the new-ness taking place at once.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Training data point

Just a data point - I had RV-8 transition training days before my first flight and it was really valuable. I took RV-7 transition training with Alex many years ago when I was "certain" I'd be flying in a couple of months. :D

Some things for me that were surprising were the sight picture after lifting the tail during the takeoff roll, as well as how far down to the runway you have to fly. I'm more used to the sight picture of aircraft like the c172, pa28, and the tecnam.

Even if your insurance does not require it, many experts far more experienced than I am strongly recommended it. Glad I listened!

Blue Sky Aero

+1 on these guys, assuming they can get you in the aircraft you need. John Musgrave with Blue Sky did my transition training and can teach you a LOT about flying RVs.

Blue Sky Aero, in Illinois 50 south of Chicago. They do tailwheel training. I they they also have a dual control RV4, and/or RV8 for training. Not sure about SBS. Give them a call.

http://www.blueskyaero.com/

Back