What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop change?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I had a discussion with a friend who has a flying RV and would like to try a different prop.

If he changes props, does he have to notify the FAA? Put it back into Phase I? Or any other type of paperwork/notification?

Obviously he has to refigure his W&B.

Thanks for the help.

My understanding is that the aircraft needs to be put back into phase 1 testing for 5 hours, making the appropriate logbook changes to reflect a major change, updated weight/balance, etc.

A buddy and I have contemplated trading props for 5 hours. He's got a fixed pitch metal prop and is curious about wood props. I have a wood prop and am curious about flying behind a metal prop. All we need to do is trade everything from the crankshaft flange forward, do the paperwork, and we're good to go...

Bill, I change the prop but they were both wood, just a different pitch and MFG. The local FAA said I didn't have to do anything except put an entry in my log book. I know if you go from a fixed to a CS you need to put it back in phase I and fly 5 hours. I guess what I'm saying is you better call the local office and see what they expect of you.

Gary (Shine'r)
Sunny Pittsburgh Pa.

Back