What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 autopilot tracking

Maxrate

Well Known Member
For now I?m going with the G5 with the GMC 305 or 307 AP and the area 660 for VFR nav functions. My question is can the AP track nav data derived from the 660? Has anyone with experience with this interface please weigh in. Thanks.

Aera 660 - G5

For now I?m going with the G5 with the GMC 305 or 307 AP and the area 660 for VFR nav functions. My question is can the AP track nav data derived from the 660? Has anyone with experience with this interface please weigh in. Thanks.

Mark,

The RS232 connection between your G5 and Aera 660 will facilitate the transfer of both vertical and lateral navigation information from the 660 to the G5, and this navigation information can be used to drive the G5 autopilot.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected]

Thanks,

Justin

Mark,

The RS232 connection between your G5 and Aera 660 will facilitate the transfer of both vertical and lateral navigation information from the 660 to the G5, and this navigation information can be used to drive the G5 autopilot.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Feel free to reach out to us directly at [email protected]

Thanks,

Justin
Vertical too??

It seems that all the Garmin autopilot heads do the same function. Can someone shed some light on the different models, 305,307 and the 507. Which one would be the best fit?

It seems that all the Garmin autopilot heads do the same function. Can someone shed some light on the different models, 305,307 and the 507. Which one would be the best fit?

The GMC 305 is the first autopilot control head that Garmin offered for EAB back in 2013. It works well for changing autopilot armed/active modes, but lacks dedicated HDG/TRK and ALT select knobs. You could use the controls on the front of the G5 to select these things, but it is not a great experience compared to having dedicated knobs.

ACtC-3eldvwPJ7fIi0awdUgeYm5EoBRxXASgDDJSouDl1UHbHJOevuGMoy88YjH5W0aRVj0DdKE28KkSAWKaYw94jVf_SPQMoGCszc6V9CrDCq0CFbhusscrx5pqAUfFN0ASGOXktZFeZTMcQzcpkEt8S0hl=w640

The GMC 307 was introduced a couple of years later in 2015 and added dedicated HDG and ALT SEL knobs.

ACtC-3ecn0LWBxUNee7ga1DI29VLgKhtjpfTdC5dQQb7lKU2IMXB3JX0yqnO7U1g1vLRDr0kYRNKZ_kwTf3arU8cUzm1ao0L4epXRA7zlt_IGzWEVCr_wQU4U9aHhQ0_aw8LtkS5GOVyGccYQ20DlfQhT8L2=w640

The GMC 507 was introduced in 2018 and added a new GPS TRK mode and a CAN bus interface making it simpler for displays and servos to receive data from the control panel. The GMC 507 also adds an autopilot tones audio output which is very important for G5 based systems which don't otherwise have the audio output capability like found in a G3X Touch system. The GMC 507 also adds a TO/GA button input not available on the GMC 305/307 and again an important feature for a G5 system which has no other way to receive this input.

ACtC-3e3CV2PvC-CxJiFSXvqEYZIH7-yLi6yQxWmdHKW7Xc2yxjGGk-wJQYIcjgfvsQTn5gNt8tWIDT5vPqBTrwMx-EX2XGxZ6ImNgQhoT5ukJKaIX0m3DUtogZim8Cq9nViHvCCUK7emowc_VeyIHxXAR_2=w640

Garmin phased out the GMC 307 since it was essentially replaced by the GMC 507 (which added more features at a similar price), so unless you find a used GMC 307, your current choices are the GMC 305 or GMC 507. For a G3X Touch system, you can get by using the knobs on the display for HDG/TRK and ALT SEL, but for a G5 based system like you are considering, the GMC 507 is the only way to go.

Steve

ACtC-3fO6_22dnyE4z2a8JjpBfUcqKoQfwOcfhhdQpe_ytEKKOKrVrmpTHllgPMnTmPAE62ffXFMFxQcan7ekenp5zrKL24n_svOlYTzk6idst8EgKoRh89x3LWIhrqsDQz5gB9h6uK-K8Z30hoLStZLeT6Q=w700

Independent AP

Another option (one that I am considering) is to have an autopilot that is independent of the G5, such as Trutrak/BendixKing xCruse 100. That way, if you lose the G5 you don't lose the autopilot. And if you lose the standalone autopilot, you should still have the G5 to be able to hand fly with the AI/HSI and/or the flight director. I understand that third party autopilots such as the BendixKing or Trio can follow the Aera 660.

Back