What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

legroom

dbrodymd

Hello all: I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience with re-bolting the seat further back to create more legroom. I'm not referring to the "almost a 14" mod which, as I understand it, entails a modification allowing the top of the seat back to recline further (as useful as that might otherwise be); but rather an arrangement in which the entire seat is moved aft. And if so does this require an STC?

Thanks, David Brody

not sure which model you have, but it seems like you could just add a fourth hinge row for the lower seat back attachment.

You can move the hinge aft a bit more but it will force your seating position to be more upright unless you also move the crossmember. I moved my crossmember 3" aft (before the almost a -14 mod existed) and added an additional hinge row. I've got my rudder pedals as far forward as possible. I'm not flying yet but I probably will not use the extra hinge but do like the additional recline in the normal aft hinge position.

And if so does this require an STC?

Thanks, David Brody

Assuming we are not talking about a -12, all other Rv’s are nearly always certified as EAB - experimental, amateur built. You or anyone may do whatever you please to it, no paperwork required (but good records are always a good idea).

Thanks to all for very useful information. Just to clarify a few points:

1. I do not yet have a plane, trying to decide whether to build or buy, but either way I want to make sure there would be an option to move the seat back. I tried an RV-7 a few weeks ago and couldn't really fit, but with another three inches or so I'm sure it would have been fine.

2. So there is no structural impediment to moving the seat aft? And this could be done after a build (that is with purchasing an existing aircraft)?

3. Obviously this would affect CG but it would not seem to be an issue as long as one factors it in to W&B. Sort of equivalent to having a few extra pounds in the baggage compartment.

4. I hadn't realized that the EAB status leaves one entirely free to modify at will. I understand that one needs a DAR inspection after a build. That is not required after any modifications? Or this is not what is addressed in any case?

Thank you all. This will be a big leap and I'm trying to see my way clear before take off.

David Brody

What model(s) are you considering? Have you sat in in of those? Any conversations with folks at Van's?

I have a friend who is 6'7". He was reasonably comfortable sitting in my -14A with seat in aft-most position. Biggest issue was contact of headset band with canopy. Rudder pedals would have been better for him in forward position (I used middle). Fellow who bought it from me was 6'2 or so, son also flying at around 6'3". Big guys too, they're happy with setup as I had it. (They use seats in aft position, but left rudder pedals middle unless they've changed it since we last spoke).

Last edited:
dbrodymd; 4. I hadn't realized that the EAB status leaves one entirely free to modify at will. I understand that one needs a DAR inspection after a build. That is not required after any modifications? Or this is not what is addressed in any case? David Brody[/QUOTE said:
If you make a major mod, it will go back into Phase One testing for a few hours. That is only a log book entry and a test area. This should not require another DAR inspection. Check the Ops Limits for description of a major mod. If not clear, try FSDO or contact the DAR who issued the Ops Limits. I doubt what you are proposing would be a major mod requiring Phase One.
The only inspection after minor mods to a purchased plane may occur during the annual condition inspection by an A&P. If you build, you can get a Repairman’s Cert and do your own Condition Inspection without an A&P.

follow up DARs

Thanks. This is all new territory for me and I'm feeling my way, but it does sound like this would be doable.

David Brody

Go with a -14

I’m 6’6” and I flew in a friend’s RV-7 for awhile before building my -14. The -14 is much more comfortable. I put the seat-back in the aft most position and have the rudder pedals in the forward most position. In cruise I can put my feet under the rudder pedals and straighten my legs completely. I’ve flown 4 hour legs and been comfortable the entire flight. Also cabin width is 3” wider than the -7 which is nice for broad shouldered tall people. Consider also recommended gross weight, 1,800# in the -7 vs 2,050# in the -14. Taller sometimes means heavier so you will be able to carry more in the -14. Keep that in mind as you consider which way to go. Also, if you build, the -14 is easier to build than the -7 for a few reasons, primarily because the plans are much more refined and easier to read/follow.

Another thing is canopy height. In the -14 you have more room between the noggin and the canopy!

Last edited:
Back