What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bikes

FNG

Anyone ever fit a bike in an RV? I could get my full size mountain bike in my Lancair 360 by taking the wheels off and putting the derailor in the hat shelf.

Any ideas? Folding bikes that work?

Thanks

Tom

This gets discussed quite often - search for “Bikes” or “Bike” or “Bicycle” and I bet you get enough reading for a couple of evenings....

I got a full sized mountain bike into my 9A. No room for a passenger but a fair bit of room for baggage. I removed the passenger seat back and the wheels, seat and pedals of the bike. It was OK as a one off but would not want to have to do it regularly.

Fin 9A

2nk2xw3.jpg
[/IMG]

Read some of Scott Chastain's threads here. He often travels cross-country with a bike, and supplies a lot of photos. Interesting threads, too.

Read some of Scott Chastain's threads here. He often travels cross-country with a bike, and supplies a lot of photos. Interesting threads, too.

One of the best threads...lost. Image hosting problems Scott?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140836&highlight=Bike+scott

HEY! On another biking note, if anyone wants to MTB USA’s #1 Trail let me know. I can help with ground transport, bike rental and a trail guide (me).
http://mckenzierivertrail.com/
You could land and camp at 00S but take off your wheel pants. Or meet me at a paved strip between Aurora and there...Monday’s are best for me and the Trail is quiet.

An expensive option is a Brompton. Excellent quality but at a price. It was the only folding bike I could find that will fit in the rear seat of my -8. I would also investigate some of the new electric boards or scooters.

One of the best threads...lost. Image hosting problems Scott?
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=140836&highlight=Bike+scott

HEY! On another biking note, if anyone wants to MTB USA?s #1 Trail let me know. I can help with ground transport, bike rental and a trail guide (me).
http://mckenzierivertrail.com/
You could land and camp at 00S but take off your wheel pants. Or meet me at a paved strip between Aurora and there...Monday?s are best for me and the Trail is quiet.

DEFINITELY! Can't say when, but someday I may take you up on that.

Anyone ever fit a bike in an RV? I could get my full size mountain bike in my Lancair 360 by taking the wheels off and putting the derailor in the hat shelf.

Any ideas? Folding bikes that work?

Thanks

Tom

It sure helps to know which RV you're interested in.

As Paul said, search to your hearts content.

In my case, a -7A, it will take a good-sized load and, with a little creativity and maybe some disassembly, you'll get your bike inside the plane. I've flown with the following bikes: Brompton (2 will fit in the baggage area), Dahon MuP8, Montague (any model) and Rans V-Rex recumbent (with the wheels and seat removed).

An RV-8 option

I wanted a full-size mountain bike on my bike trips, but the options with the -8 are a little more limited. Very limited when you want to take a second person. But traveling alone, I get my 29" bike packed with all my gear after removing the back seat. Takes a few minutes to assemble/disassemble, but I get to bring a real bike for the trails.

WIJLcsRsT86ZPEA7U1_Tp-EY-NdWU0ZJ64ULIyj6qoxx9kXPkMg2J3_6xB0vrFn28nBOX38xi5lRVVovRQlOJk2FPlAaMVXxhUNIGUPfKWkeLyEBjOga0VELE9hJ7QwgNE3rBmskxX1fxpwyi7BzUfNtNhWN2mf52mbllcxoR9UyX2NOQ23vU0rL_moFzqv502eZpCUbYEvxik7f0xvKTAjeXmiINHbE1663LRj9FEnPPZyGFFcItTpaOqiS0fDjAUsZuoYeBHIZ4m5gbdRbLMib9TIYMherXKLdUofFo9UhtpEN2DOS6PTp1rEPrE4isCSRUPKM8QsO05RRrB0sIR1AfcHS531ZTd6nYHfhWq18P--3QOEBBEXe4DuA3wdLDQgNFH8qnZmvlO3TZbB3qi4IOAzX1rNZ5-M2wyy9iod29DTXP93jrn5clBK9iVB_DpwgTnJHe5m_z0E4VXiv75XqyP4SOeKwp0BT2vyPfInygCf0-3eUnZsqSec4GM8JFaN6cMv6yzjwJMhnKxHsRKcalG3F6O5SGSXtc07oYWrOPREer0YaSNuBfQ1biP8k7G8FfWeswYDBZKnGPYdlNgwkLUv8pk447S0XjVbxu6w6RYJva_56NNWojd8orRG6xGGvQlcQMVPKKBIEJOEGwPzHG0lO4P6Q=w688

Back