What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about starting an rv10 build

Piper2

Hi all, I?m here because Ive been thinking about starting a 10 build within the next 6 months. The reason I?m on here talking about it though is maybe I should just be happy with what I have and keep flying and have fun. Right now I have a piper arrow ll. It has awesome paint, good low time engine and prop, all the low presti speed mods and so everyone says it?s an awesome arrow and best of all she?s paid for! What really grinds my gears though is I HATE having a shop tearing my bird apart and telling me how great my plane is but...oh ya it?s going to need the notorious wing walk repaired ($5000), nose strut needs work but cant make a simple repair you got to spend another $1200 there for one from a salvage yard and it just goes on every year. I?m sick of keeping mechanics and aviall in jobs. I think it makes more sense if I would like to upgrade to go to a used sr22 but I think my whole problem will still exist with any certified plane.

I?m a pretty good fabricator welding steel and such but have never done anything with aluminum. Am I wanting to build for the wrong reasons?

You have the right reason for owning an experimental. It may not be the right reason for building one. If you want to fly one of the best 4 seat single engine airplanes, buy a RV-10. If you want to spend the next few years building one of the best 4 seat single engine airplanes and then fly it, by all means build a 10.

I think you're wanting to build for the right reason, maybe the best reason. But have you considered buying one instead of building it?

Building an airplane is, at least in my opinion, a fun but challenging activity. The RV-10 kit is a very high quality kit, but there are still many things to build. It's a large airplane for a homebuilt, and a very capable one. Depending on your approach, it can take considerable time to build and needs some space, too.

I'm sure other people will offer their thoughts. Mine are simply that it's a darn good idea provided you don't expect an instant airplane.

Dave
RV-3B still building
Cessna 180 flying

Just my 2 cents..

If you can afford to buy it built, then just buy it and fly it. For the money, the RV10 is the best plane in its class in the world in my opinion, even prebuilt.

If you can't and are prepared to wait a while to fly it, don't like weekends or days off, and want a swear box full to the brim with quarters in your garage, then build it. I think I have about 20K in quarters in mine already :D

If you decide to build it, the final quality and finish of your build will be determined by how much time you put into it. Do you want a safe flying plane or a Grand Champion contender, its all up to you. People have spent years and 1000's of hours building an RV10.

I just wanted a safe flying airplane and I wanted to build it for my own knowledge, experience and satisfaction. I am 4 months down the line now in my RV10 SB, but I hope to test fly in early Dec, so you can also do it in 6 months if you are determined. The kit is excellent and the instructions are easy to follow.

Build or buy, there is no right answer.

Best wishes and good luck in whatever you decide

Amer

Not quit the same airplane but still a good story?

I owned a J3-Cub for 23 years and hated having someone else turn wrenches on my airplane that whole time. Airplanes are sacred? Call me paranoid, but I don?t trust other people working on my airplane.

Three years ago I traded my Cub for a flying RV-12 from the original builder. It is registered E-LSA which makes it sort of unique in that I was able to take a 16 hour LSA Repairman Inspection Aircraft Course and now I can sign for my own annual condition inspections. I totally enjoy the freedom to work on my plane and authority to inspect and sign for the annual condition inspection.

The only folks I?m beholding to now are transponder certification and bi-annual flight review...

Yep

We've had our -10 for 8 years and the love affair keeps getting better....the absolute best plane for the bucks!...plus we do all our maintenance and we're allowed such niceties as electronic (Lightspeed) ignition.

Best,

Thanks for all the great replies. Technically no I can?t pay cash for one already built but building in phases shouldn?t be a problem. Also the biggest reason I?m little scared to buy is someone else?s build quality, and building would be the way I am capable to be able to know the systems enough to be comfortable to work on them. My thinking would be to keep my arrow until I?d be ready for the power plant and prop and that would easily pay for that as well.
I farm and own an excavating business which is good and bad. I have the shop, room and my time Is sporadic. Somedays I can work on it all day such as when it?s raining or snowing or middle of summer when crops are all in the field. Sometimes you just need a break with work and say heck with things so I could go and hide building I?m thinking. :)

You will find the time, if you keep your eyes on the prize.

I was traveling full time during my build and still managed to finish it in just over four years.

There is nothing difficult in building an RV, jeast a LOT of nothing difficult.

Good luck with making up your mind!

One other thing, all those tools you already own won't help you much. Be prepared to buy some really cool new ones. For example, I have two inch-pound torque wrenches, one very small one and one medium sized one.

As long as you think you can find the time for it it sounds like your heart is in the right place. My moto is to try and do something on it EVERY day. Building is pretty enjoyable (some tasks more than others) and very rewarding when you finish a large section. Good luck in finalizing your decision.

Remember

The -10 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the other RVs (6,7,8,9).

It is a huge project but the previous posts are accurate; if you work on it, it will get done.

The most important thing to remember is that significant others and family are MORE important than the build...at least if you want to keep them.

That is going to cut into your build time, so plan accordingly.

Just for a data point, I work full time, married, kids, and used both of the QB kits. When I work, I am unavailable to build. When I am home, the build comes after family obligations and the chores that come with owning a house.

I have been working on my -10 for 5 1/2 years and have a little over 2000 hours invested so far. Working on wiring, avionics are ordered, and I hope to be flying within the next year.

It is definitely achievable, just be realistic in your estimation of time and cost...

Similar dilema

I have a nice 172, would like to upgrade to perhaps a 182 or Cirrus, but I think I would really like to build anRV14. I also farm and have an excavating business. I live in eastern Iowa, the Quad City area. What to do, what to do?

I have a nice 172, would like to upgrade to perhaps a 182 or Cirrus, but I think I would really like to build anRV14. I also farm and have an excavating business. I live in eastern Iowa, the Quad City area. What to do, what to do?

If your like me you don’t have time to build but you gotta make time for what for what you enjoy and just make it work. It will just be on hold April and may also sept and oct.! When it’s raining and too wet to work you can work on it all day long and at least you feel good at the end of the day!

Last edited:
Another Data Point

The -10 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the other RVs (6,7,8,9).

It is a huge project but the previous posts are accurate; if you work on it, it will get done.

The most important thing to remember is that significant others and family are MORE important than the build...at least if you want to keep them.

That is going to cut into your build time, so plan accordingly.

Just for a data point, I work full time, married, kids, and used both of the QB kits. When I work, I am unavailable to build. When I am home, the build comes after family obligations and the chores that come with owning a house.

I have been working on my -10 for 5 1/2 years and have a little over 2000 hours invested so far. Working on wiring, avionics are ordered, and I hope to be flying within the next year.

It is definitely achievable, just be realistic in your estimation of time and cost...

My experience so far is very similar to Bob's. I've been building my 10 for 7 years so far. I went "slow build" on everything and built everything myself. However, I also have made some modifications that added time to my build, for sure. I've invested about 2100 hours so far. I just recently received my finishing kit and I'm working on finishing and permanently installing my cabin top. I have 2 small kids (4 & 7) and I'm still married to a happy woman (most of the time). I also have enjoyed keeping my friends and doing other activities besides building (like skiing, camping, travelling, etc.). The hardest thing for me has been not flying regularly, due to time and money, during my build. I will need quite a bit of flight time and transition training to knock the rust off when the time comes.

My general comments are:
1) Building an airplane is an arduous adventure that will test your limits, challenge your resolve and consume your time and money.
2) Those are typical requirements for pursuing a dream.

"your friends think you are a bit crazy"

I'm building a 14 and it is really fun figuring it out and doing it. It is a huge project but Van's lays it out so cleanly that you can literally do step by step. For me it keeps my mind active thinking through the next step. And spending time on VAF is amazing. And the clears up what you don't yet know. Big money and your friends think you are a bit crazy. But that is part of the fun!
Larry

Me too

Adding my 10 cents,

Building a 10 as well. From reading many blogs and my own build, it will take from 1600 hours with the QB (quick build) options (read extra money) with Stein doing the instrument panel (read more money) and Aero interior panels (read even more money), OR up to 3000+ hours if you do it all yourself. It will cost a low of $125K if you stay close to the basics and be a very spartan interior and basic paint job (but all shiny new), OR push over $200K with all of the bells, whistles, AC, leather interior, lighting, IFR instrumentation ?. etc..

In other words, your personal statement to the airplane world.

From the building perspective, I was also a wood and steel shop rat with everything from furniture, cabinets, and home rebuilds to go fast off road buggies from scratch. The build has been an absolute pleasure of learning and discovery. Aluminum is nothing like steel. Thin, fragile and delicate by comparison. Avionics, wiring and LED lighting have been an intellectual challenge as well as learning more about the art of fiberglass.

If you can average 10 hours every week, then it is a four year project, give or take a year. 60 hours a week, then a year is doable. Personally with 'honey dos', vacations, work around the house etc. 10 hours a week average has been my path. With plenty of modifications, slow build and purchasing the interior from a local master craftsman, 5 years, 160K and 2500 hours looks like a realistic completion for me.

Good luck. If you enjoy learning and creating with your hands, you will love this project. Just go into it with eyes wide open and enjoy the journey.

.... The build has been an absolute pleasure of learning and discovery....
The nearly universal advice is 'build if you think you will (mostly) enjoy the process'; otherwise buy a completed one. If it's "work", it will turn to drudgery and never get done.
For the record, I loved the building experience. But it does take time.

Back