What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS for iPad.

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin' guys. I have Ifly on my iPad but the little airplane icon doesn't move. Is there a GPS available to plug in or a better alternative?

Thanks,

Check out the Garmin Glo; $100 new; connects to iPad by Bluetooth; get a used one for less.

Or buy a new iPad with the cellular service capability and you wont need any add-on gps. You dont have to subscribe to the cellular service.

erich

I have a Duel xgps170 that gives you GPS and ABDS-in for sale. ;)

Bad Elf

Bad Elf makes a plug in GPS module for the IPAD. It also has a charge port on the side so the IPAD can still run off ship?s power when using the GPS.

There?s also a free App from ITUNES that is used to update the Bad Elf?s firmware, set the charge rate (very important) and troubleshoot etc.

Bevan

2nd the Stratux option... send WAAS GPS signal with traffic and weather to your iPad non Cellular. This is how I fly (along with a panel mounted ifly unit).

2nd the Stratux option... send WAAS GPS signal with traffic and weather to your iPad non Cellular. This is how I fly (along with a panel mounted ifly unit).

can you comment on how stable this is ? i build a stratux a few months ago and the unit started turning off the wifi and loosing gps after about 1.5h of flight NOT COOL
I don't know if it overheated or what but I didn't really make me very comfortable.

Check out the Garmin Glo; $100 new; connects to iPad by Bluetooth; get a used one for less.

+1.
I use a Garmin Glo regularly with my iPad Mini 4. It can go several hours on a charge. It will work with both iPad & Android devices.

Dale

can you comment on how stable this is ? i build a stratux a few months ago and the unit started turning off the wifi and loosing gps after about 1.5h of flight NOT COOL
I don't know if it overheated or what but I didn't really make me very comfortable.

I guess I have had an issue where green light starts blinking and lose Stratux signal. This has been caused by logs being full? REinstalled Stratux SW at home and worked fine. Again I do have a backup GPS and phone.

Pierre,
If you have no GPS on the iPad then above suggestions apply.
But always check first that Location Services are selected on for the application (in this case Ifly). A friend had same problem with an Australian mapping app, and Location services were not turned on for that mapping app.

With regard to Bluetooth GPS unit for iPad, I like Bad Elf Pro, as it has a display on the Bad Elf unit itself of Track, so if Ipad shuts down due overheating, still have track display as a back up - I'm a belt and braces type of person!

John

Back