What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do I need...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I am looking at a RV-8 that has:

GNS-430W GPS
GA-56 Antenna
GTX-327 Transponder

What will I need to make it 2020 compliant, about what would it cost, and can I install the equipment myself?

Thanks!!

I'm currently upgrading my -8 in a very similar fashion - trading the 327 for a 345. AS you described, it is just a matter of changing the rack, adding a few data lines, and then updating the settings in the units.

Of course, I've ben at this for a month because the airplane needed some other work, I have three other airplanes to fly (and maintain), and its a good time for the -8 to be down. If I had JUST been doing the transponder, it would have been a day's work.

The nice thing with the 345 is that it can send its data to the 430W for display, but it also has built in wireless, so you can use ForeFlight, Pilot, etc and display traffic and weather on a much larger screen.

Garmin 327 and ADSB OUT

I have a nearly new installed 327 in my 7A that I'd sure prefer not to have to replace as part of the ADSB mandate. I have no certified gps on board. Are there any options to add an "ADSB BLACK BOX" with integrated gps to the 327? Somewhere, I was led to believe that there may be an option to keep the 327 and simply add something to generate the ADSB-out signal.
Thanks for the help.

Jim Diehl 7A
Based at Lock Haven, Pa

I have a nearly new installed 327 in my 7A that I'd sure prefer not to have to replace as part of the ADSB mandate. I have no certified gps on board. Are there any options to add an "ADSB BLACK BOX" with integrated gps to the 327? Somewhere, I was led to believe that there may be an option to keep the 327 and simply add something to generate the ADSB-out signal.
Thanks for the help.

Jim Diehl 7A
Based at Lock Haven, Pa

One option you can consider. There are others that work the same.

http://www.skyvisionadsb.com/

Take a look at the GRT web site. You can get an Echo UAT plus the GRT gps for $1500. Keep you current transponder.

Take a look at the GRT web site. You can get an Echo UAT plus the GRT gps for $1500. Keep you current transponder.
I'm going that route. I've got a Sport SX EFIS and 327 transponder, so the hardest part will be routing a new coax and mounting the antenna. Doing it at the next annual when the plane is partially disassembled will make it easier still.

Go with the Uavionix Echo (you don't need the GRT gps), update the GNS430W to the latest software and you are good to go. The Echo is about $1000 and you may have to pay an avionics shop to update the 430. The update cost me $100. If you look at the installation manual for the Echo, the last two pages will tell you what is necessary for the 430. I had the same equipment as you and did the above, passed the FAA performance report and have traffic in on my GRT Hx. Also, I did the installation myself.

Dan

+1. Yes, for the OP, you just need the $1K Uavionics Echo and maybe a software upgrade, plus one new wire (if not already there) out of the back of your 430W. For poster #5, there are a couple of approved (by the manufacturer) GPS sources in the $500 price range, GRT just started selling one.

Hey guys, of you have a 430W, you would not need our SkyFYX-EXT GPS source... so 2020 ADS-B Compliance can be had for $999. We include the UAT antenna and wiring harness for that price.

If you do not have a 430W or "Rule Compliant GPS", then you need to get the SkyFYX, SkyFYX-EXT, Dynon2020, GRT Safe-Fly 2020, Garmin20A GPS source or other.

We can work with a host of compliant GPS sources, but it must meet the 2020 rule for a compliant position source. Sorry, no 496, 296, or other portable GPS units. We can pull in the GPS signal from the EFIS, ie GRT using it's Safe-Fly 2020 GPS.

The EchoUAT installation is as simple as Mount- Unit/Ant and GPS if applicable, Connect- Power/Ground/GPS and EFIS serial In/Out if applicable, then program it via our app (iOS or Android) or even via the EFIS.

You can even feed the ADS-B WX/Traffic to an EFIS and your favorite EFB (except the big "G" and "Jepp") at the same time, all others are known to work.

Let me any have any questions.

Thanks,
Shane

Back