What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing the Andair Fuel Pump

bmarvel

Well Known Member
Friend
I started a new thread for this since it is separate from the Andair fuel pump problem thread that led to this one. (See https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=185143).

Due to the failure of my Andair pump, I elected to install an Airflow Performance pump in my -14A. This is a "one-off" installation because the aircraft is AOG and I need to get it into the air again ASAP. It is probably the first non-Andair pump to be used in this RV model. My arrangement is with the pump and filter mounted in line, which is longer than the Andair but still fits into the tunnel. It is not as elegant or compact as one which will likely be forthcoming from Airflow Performance and Aircraft Specialty/TS Flightlines. FYI, I received the pump on Monday afternoon and flew the airplane for the first time with the new pump early Thursday morning. Ops normal.

I finally (sort of) figured out how to use Smugmug as a photo host for VAF posts so have saved the process for doing this install at the link below.

Start by clicking on the upper left photo and then on the "comments" icon to the left of it. This will turn on comments for each subsequent picture.

https://billmarvel.smugmug.com/Andair-Pump-Replacement

Again, this is a one-off install I came up with that works fine for my -14A. Feel free to copy and/or improve on it as you see fit, especially if you have an AOG situation and need to get something else to work before a new package becomes available. The hardest part was working with my head against the right side rudder pedals trying to form/fit the fuel line from pump output to firewall fitting. With a tunnel mockup or an aircraft under construction, this would be much easier. Doing it on a flying aircraft is more difficult but still I had it flying again in a couple of days.

The AFP pump when dead headed put out 32 psi and when the fuel line was opened, flowed 43 GPH into a bucket, so it is plenty of pump for the IO-390. It appears to draw a couple of amps more than did the Andair.

Ground tests showed no leaks and flight test over the airport today was totally normal in all respects.

Bill, the AFP pump has plenty of pressure and volume for a IO390.

Glad you have the plane flying again!
Tom

Bill,

Glad to see you are flying again!!!!

We finished the first several sets of retrofit CNC mounting plates and are shipping them out to 2 beta testers tomorrow. One will be doing a tunnel filter installation and the other will be utilizing our wing root filter kit.

Happy flying!
Steve

Bill, Tom and Steve,

A huge load of gratitude is due the three of you for taking this on. I have an Andair V2 pump, that has been operating for 300 hours on my RV-14a, and am anxiously awaiting the development of the AFP retrofit. Thank you for being at the point head of the sword, and working to improve the reliability of this great aircraft. :D

Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP
Vans 140209

Hi Greg--
WE have a prototype set up at a beta tester now---hopefully have a finalized product shortly.

Doing the mockup was easy--BUT the reason we use a beata tester is the little things like wiriing harnesses, etc, that we dont know about. Yep---we got scholled on that one---but we were able to come up with a solution.

Tom

Bill, Tom and Steve,

A huge load of gratitude is due the three of you for taking this on. I have an Andair V2 pump, that has been operating for 300 hours on my RV-14a, and am anxiously awaiting the development of the AFP retrofit. Thank you for being at the point head of the sword, and working to improve the reliability of this great aircraft. :D

Greg Novotny
RV-14a N14ZP
Vans 140209

Greg and all,

It is truly rewarding to have the opportunity to work on challenges like this with other builders.

We did the initial test fitting today with the cabin filter setup and determined that it will be advantageous to move the pump assembly aft by about 1/2". We CNC machined a new mounting plate today which is shipping to one of our beta testers tomorrow.

Work continues, but we are making progress. We want to make sure this is drop in and works both with and without wing root filters. We also are working to ensure it will be compatible with the Type 2 (standard) as well as type 7 Andair valves.

Take care,
Steve

Tom and I are excited to announce that we are ready to release the Andair to AFP pump conversion kits for the RV14/14A. We would also like to express our thanks to those of you that helped us do fit verifications during this process. We really appreciate it!!!!

wpa542e3dd_05_06.jpg

More information can be found at http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv-14.html

Here is a link to the installation document.

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV14 ANDAIR TO AFP.pdf

Happy building!
Steve and Tom

Back