What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fast?

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
So, we're having incredible weather today in southwest Ohio (75 degrees, blue skies, calm winds). And figured I'd try seeing how my 12 does vs POH. Mind you, mine does not yet have Wheel Pants on. Turns out I'm beating (according to Dynon) the POH #s. But, admittedly, I'm not at gross. This was full fuel + me (190lbs) and some miscellaneous stuff (towbar, quart of oil, etc.). Net, lets say I was at 1075lbs or so. 755 (empty) +200 (me with stuff) +120 (fuel)

POH says @ 7500 ft I should see the following KTAS:

5500rpm - 114; 4.6 gph
5000rpm - 101; 3.7 gph

As you can see in pics, I'm seeing the following @ 7500 ft
5500rpm - 121KTAS
5300rpm - 116KTAS
5200rpm - 114KTAS
5000rpm - 109KTAS

As you can see, my fuel burn # is way off and reading high. Need to adjust K-factor I guess. I do know that I burned about 7.4 gallons over 2 hours. So I at least I think it's just a matter of dialing in the k-factor.

Either way, I'm pleasantly surprised and happy with the speeds I'm seeing....especially if I'll get another 4 knots TAS with the wheel fairings on. Based on those #s, feels like ~5200-5300 is the sweet spot.

Anyway, thought I'd share as I always see people asking what performance they're getting. This was a pretty standard day in that temp was 54F at altitude.

LOVE THIS PLANE!

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1857.jpg
    IMG_1857.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 354
I'd just say the Van's numbers are conservative, and leave it at that, because that's how it appears to me, under certain flying conditions.

thanks Randy, woz just pulling your leg ;)

Now seriously, not sure about the rules over here, a big mess as usual as each country has its own set of them... and EASA is just a self nominated authority having little clue or interest about the light and very light world of aviation :(

I flew at 7500 yesterday from Seattle to Lake Chelan at 5200 and saw 116 TAS OAT 49...similar

Did you go direct from 1WA6 to S10 or through Snoqualmie Pass/another route? I'm on the east side of the state just wondering how the -12 did going over the mountains. Granted VFR weather conditions and such....

lol! Yep...thus the "?" after Fast in thread title. I really enjoy the plane and it's certainly fast enough for me. But, it's a bit like saying I have the fastest slow car out there!

That's OK as long as you drive it to Reno, NV "The World's Biggest Little City" :D

I spent a lot of time on my 12 playing around and re-pitching the prop. Ended up back to Van's setting but at one time during cold weather I could do 128 knots at 5500 at about 3500' with Dynon Betty screaming at me to slow down. Quickly re-pitched for better climb especially with passengers and warmer weather.

lol! Yep...thus the "?" after Fast in thread title. I really enjoy the plane and it's certainly fast enough for me. But, it's a bit like saying I have the fastest slow car out there!

Compared to a Sling2, or a KitFox 7, it is faster. By how much, I'm not sure. I've yet to see a Rans S-19 Venturra in person, but it looks similar.

Compared to a Sling2, or a KitFox 7, it is faster. By how much, I'm not sure. I've yet to see a Rans S-19 Venturra in person, but it looks similar.

Speed for a KitFox must not be a problem....... There is a one year wait for a 7 kit. And a FIVE year wait for the S-LSA...........:eek:

This is interesting… I’ve been flying solo pretty much all summer because of COVID. Today I took my friend up - 350 lbs. passengers and 15 gallons fuel. Cruise speed at 2500 MSL is about 6 knots faster TAS with above loading Vs. solo (even w/ min. fuel). I’m sure COG is changed with added passenger and I’m guessing center of pressure on the airfoil is in a better spot for cruise flight. Not hard scientific data but also not fake news…

Here's what I'm planning... Over the next few weeks I'll make several flights solo and dual (with same pax) and carefully monitor and record parameters of the flights keeping things as constant as possible with exception of passenger loading. I'll record MAP to see if engine is producing same power setting.

I just flew a new RV12is from Aurora to Cape Cod and the fuel economy was exceptional: 77 gallons, 2387 NM (with tailwinds part of the way). Speed was about the same as the ULS but fuel consumption was 3.5 to 3.7 gph. Flew most of the way at 11,500 ft. Longest leg was 4.2 hours with 5 gallons remaining.

I was never comfortable with more than 3 hours in my RV12 ULS.

Attachments

• RV12iS Ferry.jpg
    RV12iS Ferry.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 216
That's really incredible. I know fuel injected 912iS has better fuel economy than ULS and I wonder how that's achieved? Seems to me it takes certain quantity of fuel to make same horsepower regardless of how fuel is atomized. Probably different mapping for the ignitions, O2 sensing, FADEC controls, etc.

This particular aircraft had the same seats as my 2015 RV12 and flew and felt exactly the same. The engine seemed a bit smoother, and showed about 3.5-3.7 gph and any altitude running 5350-5450 rpm. TAS about the same all altitudes.

Fit and finish was excellent. Gripe, if you call it that, it had electric flaps which worked well but I still prefer manual.

The panel was nicely painted a medium gray unlike the 2013 RV12 that I picked up from Vans. That plane had the fake graphite overlay on the panel.

Oh, and it had gun drilled gear legs which I wasn't aware of.

Oh, and it had gun drilled gear legs which I wasn't aware of.

The gun-drilled gear legs would be a nice feature. I fly off grass almost exclusively and tall weeds are very damaging to the soft aluminum brake tubing. Early-on, I replaced with Aircraft Specialty Stainless braided lines that have a teflon outer sleeve. Very nice...

This particular aircraft had the same seats as my 2015 RV12 and flew and felt exactly the same. The engine seemed a bit smoother, and showed about 3.5-3.7 gph and any altitude running 5350-5450 rpm. TAS about the same all altitudes.

Mitch, what was your typical TAS at those settings?

Thanks,

Back