What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting Canopy frame

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
Before I started trying to bend the canopy frame I wanted to get some thoughts on the best way to tackle this. The frame seems to naturally sit to the right before and after attaching the screws at the pivot point, Such that it is about 1/2inich off at the rear of the frame, left side not reaching the fuselage and right side overlapping. If I pull the frame to the left the overall frame is very close to be being the correct size, it just won’t sit in the correct place without me holding it there.
I can’t see what is pushing it to right - so the only thing I can think is to bend the right side in against the bow and open the left side out around the bow. I can’t see anything around the pivot point that pushes it one way.
Any thoughts before I start bending.

ACtC-3ckL2APp14o1gpIReNF53rzYrb3QY15wk5x4w_nSx6LcdYncUMjsYwv-608WYChNp2ZmxQ9TxQu0VIfEjWCoCrpMhTCL49TzvMLh6SRrWc4UxK6z1XCslpRX50VzXoUpDrQCAid6mz81Za2CuI3vIWOWQ=w800-no-tmp.jpg

ACtC-3c47ndtEfUse_eWeCeYmFP73MJEW2a25x5rbD5bOgnHZlIuotVkB1oX5n6-6Pmeo8wqaHktDqMtDPT9banbtCDpQMOlQTxuEKX4v731hhVXjgRJDouVLJ6cgXa9O-8qA4l0Aab41KYIt6x_S_5u45WFJQ=w1628-h1221-no-tmp.jpg

ACtC-3dJAl9i3v6ICj9zC5CCOVAsOmufG79aqKIZ-Pmzk6uVZJdsUf-_SHBMvIRX4aJ5uiPOBAofQTRk0ryQbgUP1-ecN-lyfH_y8HV-YCiNE3q3YchHrVLKPROnvy0-mO9JUcKos_oPgDCRez1-cnBFvXN99A=w1628-h1221-no-tmp.jpg

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my canopy frame. It was fairly easy to bend the frame to center it over the fuselage. This was done with the frame tipped up, then dropped into position to confirm fit. My frame was also a bit too wide. Ratcheting straps were helpful in pulling the sides together. They were also useful in pulling the front bow rearward as it was hitting the G3X displays.

Other than the large riveted rear frame, the whole assembly has some “spring” in it. I think most of us had to work it around a bit to get a good fit. You can’t hurt it much unless you’re really trying to. Arm strength is enough unless you need to pull in or bend the front bow as mentioned earlier.

Back