What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA plumbing leak test - RV12is

richpezz

I'm reaching out to any builder who has tested the AOA port (rivet) / plumbing system for leaks. The Service Letter recommends using modeling clay to connect a tube to the AOA port and then pressurize using a syringe. I have been unable to properly secure a tube the AOA port using this method.

Does anyone have any suggestions how best to proceed with this test?

Thanks

Rich Pezzullo

Hi Rich

Modeling clay did not work for me. I found a black butyl rubber sealant tape used in auto body shops that worked well. It is a black tape or rope that is moldable and semi-sticky. You can buy a big roll of it for about $15, but you only need a couple of inches. I would go to an auto body shop and see if they can let you have a short piece.
It is non-drying, non-hardening and works kind of like a stiff putty. It will clean off easily.
Search amazon to see what it looks like.

I'm reaching out to any builder who has tested the AOA port (rivet) / plumbing system for leaks. The Service Letter recommends using modeling clay to connect a tube to the AOA port and then pressurize using a syringe. I have been unable to properly secure a tube the AOA port using this method.

Does anyone have any suggestions how best to proceed with this test?

Thanks

Rich Pezzullo

Install a test "T" in your static line with a cap. ( simple vacuum fittings from NAPA auto parts) Tape over port and test the system by pulling a vacuum with the syringe.

A local farm supply store here sells a wide variety of syringes including one the has a long tapered/pointed “Snout” that is small enough to insert into the static port. Seal around it with the modeling clay or your choice of “goo” and you’re in business.

Back