What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jade and Copper get a new home

TSwezey

Well Known Member
I had originally scheduled my journey to Merritt Island, Florida to watch the last night Space shuttle launch. I can get a pass to watch from the countdown clock/press area. and there were two Coon hounds that need to be flown from Melbourne to the panhandle of Florida. The Tallahassee area was chosen as a meet up point.

I left Ridgeland, SC at about 3:30 Saturday afternoon. The weather was suppose to be partly cloudy, windy and cold. I was five minutes south of Ridgeland and I was hitting rain. I diverted to the east a little bit more to avoid the precip. I was about twenty miles south of Savannah just getting pounded by the wind, up 400 fpm, down 300 fpm, and approach warned me about icing not to far from me. I headed a little farther east but now I was over the ocean and would have to fight a 30-40 knot headwind to make it back to shore. Finally just before the Florida border the skies turned clear.
The remainder of the flight was nice with unlimited views as the sun started to go down. I flew V3 on shore then straight over Daytona watching 20-30 cars taking practice laps at the Speedway. V3 then continues along with unbelievable views of the shuttle and launch facilities as the lowering sun highlighted anything tall. The flight ended with landing into 17 mph gusting to 23 winds.
Waited all night for the launch but it was scrubbed.

After being up for almost 24 hours I was finally able to sleep for a few hours. Then the rat race began. Went over to the plane to get some hone numbers so I could drive to Melbourne Airport. OK I was going to drive from one airport to another. That is shear stupidity! I parked the car and fired the plane up for the short 5 minute flight versus the 25 minute drive. I arrived and Ron was waiting for me at the FBO with his wheel pant for me to borrow. Thanks Ron! Great meeting you. We chatted for a few minutes and I was headed back to Merritt Island. On the way to Melbourne I just zipped around Patrick AFB's airspace but on the way back Melbourne had me contact them. Once in contact I asked if I could do some low approaches. They said you can do pretty much whatever you want just don't touch the ground. Well I set up and performed a low approach down Runway 2. Climbed up over A1A and the dunes and dropped down to 100' and zoomed up the coast for several miles just offshore. After a little playtime I headed back to Merritt Island.

It was time to meet up with Jade and Copper. I was able to meet fellow RV builder Jeff. I was short on time and didn't have any time to look at his project but will next time I'm there. Jade and Copper are coon hounds and are pretty big. It was those two, myself, a friend of mine and his 6 year old daughter. We had everything rearranged so Jade could ride in the baggage area and Copper would ride in the back seat.

20tqqgi.jpg

Last edited:
Continued

Well about thirty seconds into the flight Jade decided she didn't like sitting in the back by herself so she hopped into the backseat with Copper and my friends daughter. All three shared the back seat the remainder of the way.

29zc7lk.jpg

Out of Merritt Island I contacted Orlando. The controller was very friendly and asked I built the RV-10. I told him a friend and I did and the we had a Corvette engine it. He continued to ask more questions because the controller next to him was a corvette owner. The clouds were starting to build and I needed to go to 6500 and right through Orlando's airspace between the big airport and Sanford. He said give me a second I have to make a call. I was then cleared straight through the airspace which saved a lot of time. I thanked the controller and then was handed over to JAX center. The JAX controller saved our lives because we were on a crash course with a mooney. He alerted us and gave us vectors until I could spot the traffic and avoid it.

24awzl4.jpg

We arrived just west of Tallahassee at Quincy Mun. Airport. If you are ever in the area you have to stop at this airport! Probably one of the nicest I have ever been to! Only have one picture of the main building. We landed and Jade and Copper launched from the plane! Luckily their urge to go to the bathroom was greater than their urge to run away! They still did make me run a bit! Here we met fellow RV builder Rick, I hope I got the name right, who was visiting in his biplane. He is building an -8.

108a3py.jpg

Last edited:
cont

The dogs were on their way and I decided to use the grass runway. Our plane has never been flown off of grass. Note to self: Use all the runway and make sure mixture is set right. Take-off was like a Grumman Tiger not the normal JATO launch into the air I normally get. Remainder of the ride, 140 miles, was on top until Savannah where the skies were forecasted to be broken and they were. I did call Flightwatch two times and questioned the controller to make sure Savannah was broken. It didn't break until Savannah.

amtw12.jpg

14sfcdf.jpg

Last edited:
welcome. . . .

to the club. well done. your cargomaster will likely be in high demand for pnp flights.

Todd,

My name is David, but I've been called Rick before. I'll answer to most anything as long as you are looking in my direction when you speak. Thanks for the very kind words about our airport. We have really put forth the effort to make it a pleasant place to be. We owe a lot to the Florida Department of Transportation/Aviation Division. Come visit 2J9 anytime. Also, I'm very impressed with your RV10. It is really nice.

David Watson
49FD

Todd,

My name is David, but I've been called Rick before. I'll answer to most anything as long as you are looking in my direction when you speak. Thanks for the very kind words about our airport. We have really put forth the effort to make it a pleasant place to be. We owe a lot to the Florida Department of Transportation/Aviation Division. Come visit 2J9 anytime. Also, I'm very impressed with your RV10. It is really nice.

David Watson
49FD
David I am sorry! But what a great airport you have!

Kudos!

First, let me say thanks for your kindness towards those animals that need our help! I was raised around coon dogs so that makes it even better.

Two questions:

1. In the in-flight photo, the bracket right above your co-pilot's head, is that to stow the seatbelts when not in use?

2. Coon dogs are big. Did you have any concerns with them getting excited or anxious while in transit? (Asking this in the context of distractions, or potential damage to interior etc.)

Yes, the bracket is for stowing seat belts. I was a little concerned before I met the dogs but once I met them they were very gentle. I did cover the seats with a towel, blanket and then a sheet on top of it all. If they were rowdy dogs I would have strapped them by their collars but they were very gentle.

Todd,
It was nice meeting you at Merritt Island. Several of us were amazed the dogs fit inside, but the RV-10 has a lot of room. You have one beautiful airplane. I had been wondering how everything turned out and I am glad to see all is well. Hope to see you again next time when you have some more time.
Jeff

Crazy

You guys that fly dogs are crazy.....but it is a good kinda crazy.

Well played, my good man. Very well played!

Back